• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Casshern (2004)

Z3M0G

MV5BZWI1OTY3Y2YtMTNmNi00OWVlLWI1NzgtNTM4MDk5NTJhZDU4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjc5Mjg4Nzc@._V1_.jpg

Trailer: https://youtu.be/8rzpAe7Exsk

I was gonna prefix with RTTP, but this film never had a thread it seems...

10ish years ago, this was in my top 3 favorite films. I remember that distinctly. Along with perhaps Braveheart and something else at the time...

Perhaps it was because I wanted to see it badly enough that I imported it from Japan. Just from seeing some promo stills of the characters. The movie had a lot of style. I never saw the source material.

I used to watch this action sceen over and over and over:

https://youtu.be/TDbp10TYAWA

So... watching it again now, some 10 years older...

The soundtrack (when original) is fantastic... iconic even. Ill have it stuck in my head again for some time to come.

The visuals have certainly not aged well. CG is PS3 levels at times, but it might help to get my hands on a BluRay copy if possible. Though DVD may help hide the faults for the better.

The film is often a solid attempt at live-action 80's Anime. Right down to the sound effects, especially in the above scene.

90% ugly blu-screening asside, the movie oozes style At. All. Times. (Though the director really took lense flair to the 11th level at times... along with a lot of other things.)

The film is a very morbid comentary on War. Set in a distant future where abandoned war robot factories exist.

So why top 3? Well i wouldnt say it still is, but my current viewing reminded me why it once was. And it was when i once again found myself braught to tears in its final moments. I again feel for all its characters and their tragedies. The closing few minutes of the film pull the heart strings in a profound way.

I was happy to see this had a respectable 70/69 split on RT. It seems im not alone.

ajim

I loved the his film when it came out. So good.

Could imagine it being really amazing on a bigger budget

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Only problem with Casshern is getting the "right" version of it.

US version is a shortened version, UK release is complete but saddled with a poor translation that really spoils the final monologue. Fortunately there's a European BD release (think its italian) which is both full run-time and has decent English subs.

Love this film to death, the soundtrack and art direction are fucking magnificent and I couldn't care less if some folks find its message to be preachy and simplistic; some truths simply need to be screamed from the heart of the world.

Gamegeneral

Ohey, I remember this movie.

I watched it after I watched some AMV someone made of one of the mass-combat scenes in the movie, setting it to some megaman cover and saying how awesome it would be for a live-action megaman.

eso76

The film is often a solid attempt at live-action 80's Anime. Right down to the sound effects, especially in the above scene.

That's because it's a live action adaptation of a 70's Anime.

1400547809_main_l.jpg

Since the anime hasn't been mentioned anywhere on this page i'll assume it just wasn't popular over there.

I don't know, i liked bits of the movie. The interesting cinematography, the extreme color grading..
But for the most part i thought it was logorrheic, with copious amounts of delirious phylosophical exposition.
Or maybe, being a fan of the original anime i just went in expecting something different, might try to watch it again sometimes.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
I can't find any Casshern movies anywhere, including the anime. What legal streaming service has them available?

Osukaa

I loved the movie I've probably seen it 3 times total but I do enjoy it for what it is. Also it happens to have one of my favorite songs from Utada Hikaru. The PV for the music video even has the Casshern actors in it. The bad guy (not fat Dante) is hot to.

I always had this weird crush on the main older lady Midori. She just screamed so much class to me, even though i'm not into women... Which no one asked about.. yeah.. Ill stop rambling now.

Bottom Line: Go watch the Movie!!!

The Link to PV is below. Its a really beautiful song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYE_YmXSFu0

Jeeze this post was all over the place....

Z3M0G

The Link to PV is below. Its a really beautiful song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYE_YmXSFu0

Hot damn, thanks for this!

Really love the movie.

Soundtrack is always stored in my mobile phone for 8 years straight now.

Considering doing the same... the soundtrack was really the standout during my long-overdue rewatch... I totally forgot how good it was.

May also want to check out Shinobi: Heart Under Blade. Romeo and Juliet ninja-style

LOVE THIS MOVIE!

Edit: Damn these movies are older than I thought... :/ Now I'm feeling it...

Osukaa

Hot damn, thanks for this!

Considering doing the same... the soundtrack was really the standout during my long-overdue rewatch... I totally forgot how good it was.

LOVE THIS MOVIE!

Edit: Damn these movies are older than I thought... :/ Now I'm feeling it...

Lol your welcome :)
I also didn't realize how old Casshern, Shinobi, or Goemon were... I love em all though. The Goemon theme Rosa from Violet UK (X-Japans Yoshiki is the creator) is a very beautiful song to me as well.

https://youtu.be/M_XZZQdFX9U

Hope you enjoy and find more movies to share :)

Z3M0G

Lol your welcome :)
I also didn't realize how old Casshern, Shinobi, or Goemon were... I love em all though. The Goemon theme Rosa from Violet UK (X-Japans Yoshiki is the creator) is a very beautiful song to me as well.

https://youtu.be/M_XZZQdFX9U

Hope you enjoy and find more movies to share :)

I remember watching Shinobi, and thinking "Hey, it's the guy from Versus!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRw9bJxIQfQ

This one is gory/campy nonsense, but it was fun.

Battlechili

Banned
Yeah this movie was pretty dope. But yall should really watch Casshern Sins which is truly a masterpiece.
Casshern Sins is the best version of Casshern.
THIS
Casshern Sins is a criminally underrated anime and great if you want something to cry to. The art is gorgeous and the show has this wonderfully depressing atmosphere as Casshern tries to figure out the secrets of his past and the world's ruin.

j0hnnix

Back from the dead, after so many years. I've come back to rewatch this movie. What an amazing cinematic experience. I love it even more than the first time seeing it. The music throughout the movie just hits right for me.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I approve of this necro-bump.

Always thought that although Yoko Taro has always been upfront about Evangelion being the inspiration behind Nier, I can't help but think there's a big chunk of Casshern in there too, specifically the "feel" of Kiriya's 2004 movie. With its heavy emphasis on "why we fight", and Shiro Sagisu's glorious choral score.

Top Bottom