• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CBS President: Doubtful about a Supergil/Flash/Arrow Crossover

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malvingt2

"I think we'll keep Supergirl to ourselves for awhile."

As CBS moves forward with the Supergirl series they have in development, fans have been wondering if Kara will exist in the same universe as The CW's Arrow and The Flash. CBS co-owns The CW and executive producer Greg Berlanti is behind all three series, so it seemed a natural fit.

CW president Mark Pedowitz said he was open to a cohesive universe between the three and Berlanti said that in putting himself in the mind of a viewer that he would want to see that. Adding, "But we have to get so many things right to make a good show and so much of it is luck, unfortunately."

Berlanti on Casting Supergirl and What to Expect from the Tone

At today's TCA (Television Critics Association) press tour, Presdent of CBS Nina Tassler seemed less inclined to join forces with the already-existing series. "Well, those two shows [The Flash and Arrow] are on a different network," Tassler said. "So I think we'll keep Supergirl to ourselves for awhile."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/01...+twitter&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

why?

more on Link....

and this is killing my desire to watch this series...

I felt the crossover kinda screwed Arrow storywise
The story was slow and setting up an excuse to go crossoever

So I'm fine with no crossoever with Supergirl if it means better story for rest and not dial in a crossover plot

I felt the crossover kinda screwed Arrow storywise
The story was slow and setting up an excuse to go crossoever

So I'm fine with no crossoever with Supergirl if it means better story for rest and not dial in a crossover plot

Arrow is slacking this season because they lacked direction in the writer's room, not because of Flash.

Corpekata

Banned
I'm really doubting CBS will keep this show around long enough to cross over anyway. Just seems like a really weird fit for them.

Let's make sure the show can actually stand on its own two legs for at least a season before we all start worrying about how it might or might not cross over with shows that will be, by that time, likely in their fourth and second seasons, respectively.

All they've ever done is leave the door open for the possibility. The president saying they're going to keep Supergirl SOLELY on CBS for "a while" doesn't contradict that at all.

All the president is saying is that they need to make sure the show works for CBS first before they lend the character out to CW (or let CW invade CBS) for a night.

anaron

Let's make sure the show can actually stand on its own two legs for at least a season before we all start worrying about how it might or might not cross over with shows that will be, by that time, likely in their fourth and second seasons, respectively.

All they've ever done is leave the door open for the possibility. The president saying they're going to keep Supergirl SOLELY on CBS for "a while" doesn't contradict that at all.
But I want to see Flash and Arrow react to Kara's appearance in their world :(

It may not be what Arrow/Flash viewers want but it makes sense that they want to establish their own show/characters for a while before crossing over to shows on another network.

Sephzilla

I'd just like them to establish it in the Arrowverse but then let the show grow on its own before she runs into Arrow or Flash.

Malvingt2

Watchin 22 episodes/season show solely for one episode where it might crossover with something on CW seems weird.

Not what I mean... I get the point that they have to establish her on her own before any crossover but they do have to establish her as part of Arrowverse soon or later imo... A lot of people care about Arrowverse including me.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Watchin 22 episodes/season show solely for one episode where it might crossover with something on CW seems weird.

That's not really what I'm feeling - I love the Arrowverse and will give anything in it a fair shot. If this isn't in it or run by the same folks then I'm not confident enough in it to give it much of a fair shake.

kirblar

CBS views a crossover as doing Arrow/Flash a favor because they're the bigger network. Let them establish the show first. (Are they doing her w/ a complete absence of Superman? That could be fun.)

The biggest problem here is that if by the end of the season, she is known to the public, I can't see that not affecting the arrow and flash universes. Are they just going to act like she doesn't exist in those shows until the crossover is okayed? That'd be weird.

They have to establish first that she is part of the Arrorverse if not I will not watch it.

Why?

That doesn't make any sense. It could be a perfectly good television show on its own, a nice reinterpretation of the Superman mythology, with its own pluses, its own twists - and you wouldn't watch it simply because it doesn't immediately intersect with an already existing fictional universe?

I don't stop watching Hannibal because Jack Crawford doesn't guest star on Law & Order.

(Are they doing her w/ a complete absence of Superman? That could be fun.)

So far, it appears as if this fictional universe has never had a Superman.

I didn't expect a crossover for at least a season or two. Flash pretty much started on Arrow so it was expected that the two would meet sooner rather than later. Supergirl on the other hand is on a completely different network, so it needs time to establish itself first.

Maybe a slight Starling City or Central City reference, but u don't expect much more. At least for now.

wildfire

Banned
People are reacting to this better than I thought so far. I hope someone doesn't flip out because they refer to Kara as the "metropolis angel" or the "alien" before finally settling on Super Girl by season 2.

Breaking: Costume for Supergil revealed.

Gil_Gunderson2.png

People are reacting to this better than I thought so far. I hope someone doesn't flip out because they refer to Kara as the "metropolis angel" or the "alien" before finally settling on Super Girl by season 2.

Theres not a whole lot to react to. We dont even know who is playing the title character.

They have to establish first that she is part of the Arrorverse if not I will not watch it.
Same here. I don't care if there are crossovers, but they should at least take a few seconds to establish that it is in the Arrowverse. A TV headline in the background, a passing reference. Whatever.

I'm not going to invest in different universes for DC shows. It's why I'm not watching Gotham and why I won't watch Teen Titans if it isn't Arrowverse.

All the president is saying is that they need to make sure the show works for CBS first before they lend the character out to CW (or let CW invade CBS) for a night.

This is true, I wasn't really hopeful for a cross over anyways because they weren't going the Barry route by doing a backdoor pilot.

If the show takes off we'll probably get a cross over at some point but it won't be as frequent as barry/arrow.

I'm not going to invest in different universes for DC shows.

What are you really investing though? You presumably invest in different universes at least 2 or 3 times a day depending on your viewing habits.

There's no extra weight you're being asked to carry by watching a superhero show that doesn't share a universe with another superhero show. If anything, there's LESS burden on you as a viewer because you don't have to keep continuities straight.

Jarmel

Banned
I'm still doubtful that the show will be good in the first place. Let's get to that point first and then talk about crossovers in season 2.

Man I was really looking forward to the scene where Kara accidentally heat visions off Felicity's blouse, and she cups her breasts in amused embarrassment. :/

What are you really investing though? You presumably invest in different universes at least 2 or 3 times a day depending on your viewing habits.

There's no extra weight you're being asked to carry by watching a superhero show that doesn't share a universe with another superhero show. If anything, there's LESS burden on you as a viewer because you don't have to keep continuities straight.
I like continuity and I don't have a lot of time to spend watching TV. So if it isn't connected, why bother with my time? If it's good maybe I'll marathon it one day on Netflix.

Arrow and Flash are the only running TV shows I watch now that Korra has finished and Once Upon a Time pissed me off.

If Supergirl isn't Arrowverse I just won't be as interested in it if it was.

My primary hype for Supergirl was largely due to the series being in the Arrowverse. This news is a bit of a disappointment and I can't say I'm nearly as interested.

I like continuity and I don't have a lot of time to spend watching TV. So if it isn't connected, why bother with my time?

The quality of the show itself doesn't play a part in your decisionmaking?

I mean, if the only TV shows you actually watch are Arrow and The Flash, then I guess it makes a little more sense.

i'll watch it if it's entertaining, skip it if it's not. don't really care about these connected universes. it's just a bonus on top of these already decent tv shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom