• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CES 1080p TV announcement thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
*this thread is a work in progress...

Tons of 1080p products announced @ CES:

JVC

40-inch LCD RPTV product(this is the smallest ever 1080p set, I believe) the LT-40FH96

ATSC tuner/CableCARD

Dual HDMI ins

Dual firewire ins

Fall 2005

D-ILA (LCOS)

Two RPTVs the 61-inch HD-61FH96 and the 70 inch HD-70FH96

3 chip LCOS

Dual HDMI ins

Dual Firewire ins

Fall 2005

Picture of the HD-70FH96

PANASONIC

PT-61LCX85 Rear-projection LCD HDTV ....

61 inches diagonal

2000:1 contrast ratio

Built-in ATSC/QAM/NTSC Tuners (true HDTV set, not just an HD monitor)

MPEG4 recording and playback on SD Memory Card format

3 sets of component video inputs, 3 AV inputs, 3 S-Video inputs, 1 AV output, 1 RGB PC input and SD Card slot.

CableCARD2 slot, SD/PCMCIA card slots with Photo Viewer for JPEG photos and slide shows via SD card

TWO HDMI ins

$4,999.95 MSRP (should be around 32-3500 bucks street)

Shipping in september

SONY

Qualia KP-70Q006 (the new name for the 70-inch XBR SXRD rear projector)

70 inch LCOS RPTV

Dual HDMI ins

Dual Firewire

$13,000

Available now

Qualia 005 LCD flat panel

$12,000

SYNTAX/KOLIN

61-inch RPTV

3-chip digital LCOS (like the new DILAs and the ill-fated INTEL Cayley)

<$5000 MSRP

Fall 2005

Spring 2005
More to come....

SAMSUNG

Two 1080p DLP RPTVs the 56-inch HLR5688W and the biggest ever DLP rear-projector, the 67-inch HLR6768W

single-chip xHD3

5000:1 contrast ratio

built-in CableCARD

Dual HDMI ins

HLR5688W-Feb 2005-$4,999

HLR6768W-June 2005-$6,999

57-inch LNR570D LCD flat panel

600cd/m2 brightness

>1000:1 contrast ratio

<8ms response time

176 degree viewing angle

ATSC tuner and digital CableCARD slot

June 2005-$15,999 MSRP

46-inch LNR460D LCD flat panel

LED backlight

500cd/m2 brightness

>1000:1 contrast ratio

170 degree viewing angle

ATSC tuner and digital CableCARD slot

May 2005-$12,999 MSRP

80-inch (!!!!) Plasma Flat panel, the HPR8072

5000:1 contrast ratio

1500cd/m2 brightness

May 2005

$40,000

LG ELECTRONICS

62-inch integrated DLP HDTV, the 62SY2D,

xHD3 chip

Built-in ATSC tuner

HDMI, Firewire and RGB ins

3000:1 contrast ratio

450cd/m2 brightness

9-in-2 memory card reader and XD Engine.

Q2 2005

71-inch plasma flat panel, the 71PY10

ATSC Tuner

HDMI and DVI in

Cable Card slot

First half of 2005

MSRP is (brace yourselves) $74,999 :D

55-inch LCD flat-panel, the 55LP1D,

integrated ATSC/NTSC tuners

550:1 contrast ratio

500 cd/m2 brightness

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
the real question is whether JVC can fix the chromatic aberration problems that plague the D-ILA line. I think LCoS looks great (brighter and more vibrant than any other tech), but I don't want to buy a TV that suffers from those kinds of issues.

Edit: And can you guys really resolve 1080p? I mean, at what point does the resolution / progressive scan improvement start giving you diminishing returns? I can't even tell the difference between 720p and 1080i, I doubt I'll be able to really see 1080p unless I'm 4' away from a 100" screen.

Klee - are these 1080p30 or 1080p60 sets?

Nerevar said:
the real question is whether JVC can fix the chromatic aberration problems that plague the D-ILA line. I think LCoS looks great (brighter and more vibrant than any other tech), but I don't want to buy a TV that suffers from those kinds of issues.

I'm about to go looking up this issue myself, but care to elaborate? Or is this just related to the color wheel problem?

Edit: And can you guys really resolve 1080p? I mean, at what point does the resolution / progressive scan improvement start giving you diminishing returns? I can't even tell the difference between 720p and 1080i, I doubt I'll be able to really see 1080p unless I'm 4' away from a 100" screen.

Have you been looking at a true 1080 set, though? Progressive always shows a small improvement level over interlaced, but the big point is that most HDTVs seem to not be able to pull off actual 1920x1080 even if they support 1080i.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Nevrer, just releasing some information for this thread....

Those who get to view the sets can then formulate their own opinions.....

Yeah, I have seen the 720p DILAs and I am more concerned by the lack of contrast than any chromatic issues with the display (could it be a software issue) but thats just me...

Crazymoogle, these should all be 1080p/60 sets...we don't know yet which ones can accept/display a 1080p signal directly and which ones will only accept a 1080i signal and deinterlace from there.....

Sofar, no RPTV has been able to accept a 1080p digital signal for obvious reasons (HDMI should change this, though) so there been no way to quantify the visual diffrences between pure 1080p and deinterlaced 1080i...

Soon though...

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Crazymoogle said:
I'm about to go looking up this issue myself, but care to elaborate? Or is this just related to the color wheel problem?

uhh, the JVC LCoS screens don't use a color wheel AFAIK. Are you thinking of DLP? That's the one that's infamous for the rainbowing due to the rapidly spinning color wheels. I believe the JVC D-ILA line uses 3-panel LCoS, so the technology it is most similar to is LCD. The advantages are that LCoS doesn't use big pixels (big being relative) like the LCD, eliminating the "screen door effect" you see on LCD RPTVs when you get too close. And for some reason, they're brighter and more colorful too. KLee probalby knows more details than I do.

Crazymoogle said:
Have you been looking at a true 1080 set, though? Progressive always shows a small improvement level over interlaced, but the big point is that most HDTVs seem to not be able to pull off actual 1920x1080 even if they support 1080i.

This is because every digital set (LCD, DLP, and LCoS) have a fixed resolution that they natively display at. For LCD and LCoS it's the number of "pixels" on the panels that the light passes through. For DLP it's the number of mirrors that they're using to reflect light. Therefore, everything has to be converted to that signal. My question was more at KLee or someone like DeCacoBravo who might've seen these sets before.

Klee, no word on Samsung's preview line of SEDs? Last I heard they were still planning on having a limited release (ie: car-like prices), but hey, if you're rich (obviously I'm not, as I'm still stuck in 480i S-Video world): 1080p, 1ms response time, and an 8600:1 contrast ratio can't be ignored.

Kinda surprised about the D-ILA contrast comment - I thought that was supposedly improved/fixed lately. Hmm...

Phoenix

Wonder when they are going to fix the Panasonic Tau lines dark issues. Otherwise its a great tube, but its definitely a poor performer when the scene is mostly dark.

Chony

Where can you get 1080p sources from besides your computer? I have a bunch of 1080p clips on my computer which look incredible, but I am waiting for CNT (also because I have no money).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom