• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 13: This months reading assignment: No More Prisons

Status
Not open for further replies.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Gentlemen. And ladies, I suppose, though I don't think we have any of those in our little college football thread empire (and, let's be honest, who wants them in here?). It's time that we have a talk about the inequities of college football which are currently holding our fine sport back. I'm talking, of course, about the requirement that we force our well-honed athletes to waste valuable time going to class. Nobody wants to get to class, let alone some poor shmuck who spends his afternoons and weekends beating on and, in return, getting beat on by 300 lb. men. It's time that we recognize the place that sports holds in our society and unburden not only our athletes, but the rest of the college body as well, from the requirement that they attend class. This would allow the student section time to practice their heckling and yelling without having to listen to stuffy old white men lecture them about shit they don't care about, like the current trendy academic farces of evolution and climate change. I'm sick and tired of education making athletics ride in the back of the bus, and I say it's high time that we put our collective feet down and say, "Enough! Enough of this bullshit, let's just play some football." UNC had the right idea, but even they required their players (and students) to occasionally attend class. Let us start the revolution today, here, in this thread. No more will we allow our young people to be shackled to their desks or to their books. It is time for them to march free into a vibrant future where athletics and sports are placed above all other concerns. It is time! It is time!

**Other content coming soon**

3bba6d26642798c95969f27748aa9c94.jpg

Amazon Link to this month's book

mre

I support the cause! Take the student out of student-athlete!
No, Brother Rand. We're going to take the student out of student! For all students, we shall create a studentless world. One where all non-students are free to not study whatever it is that they wish to not study.

No, Brother Rand. We're going to take the student out of student! For all students, we shall create a studentless world. One where all non-students are free to not study whatever it is that they wish to not study.
Sounds almost like the plot of the Jonah hill comedy "Accepted". The non-students all came together to vote on the subjects they wanted to study like "partying 101" , "beer bong physics", and "intro to pot smoking". And i won't spoil the movie but they worked on getting these classes accredited.

mre

Sounds almost like the plot of the Jonah hill comedy "Accepted". The non-students all came together to vote on the subjects they wanted to study like "partying 101" , "beer bong physics", and "intro to pot smoking". And i won't spoil the movie but they worked on getting these classes accredited.
I have not seen this, but perhaps it should be shown at orientation at all universities?

If we could get that Frank Martin guy from Georgia (and possibly South Carolina) to convey the general message of anti-academics in music video form, I might be able to throw my support behind it.

Down with learnin'! Who needs 'rithmetic? It's all just librul propagander anyway.

cdyhybrid

(THU) Kansas State @ West Virginia by 4
(THU) North Carolina @ Duke by 7
Minnesota @ Nebraska by 10
Boston College @ Florida State by 13
Arizona @ Utah by 4
Stanford @ California by 4 (this one's for you, Cornballer)
Louisville @ Notre Dame by 4
Wisconsin @ Iowa by 7
Oklahoma State @ Baylor by 16
Missouri @ Tennessee by 4
USC @ UCLA by 4
Fresno State @ Nevada by 4

(THU) Kansas State @ West Virginia by 9
(THU) North Carolina @ Duke by 9
Minnesota @ Nebraska by 9
Boston College @ Florida State by 9
Arizona @ Utah by 9
Stanford @ California by 9
Louisville @ Notre Dame by 9
Wisconsin @ Iowa by 9
Oklahoma State @ Baylor by 9
Missouri @ Tennessee by 9
USC @ UCLA by 9
Fresno State @ Nevada by 9

mre

Pick 'ems for the week:

(THU) Kansas State @ West Virginia by X
(THU) North Carolina @ Duke by X
Minnesota @ Nebraska by X
Boston College @ Florida State by X
Arizona @ Utah by X
Stanford @ California by X (you know what to do)
Louisville @ Notre Dame by X
Wisconsin @ Iowa by X
Oklahoma State @ Baylor by X
Missouri @ Tennessee by X
USC @ UCLA by X
Fresno State @ Nevada by X
TTK banned?

KingGondo

Banned
(THU) Kansas State @ West Virginia by 4
(THU) North Carolina @ Duke by 4
Minnesota @ Nebraska by 4
Boston College @ Florida State by 4
Arizona @ Utah by 4
Stanford @ California by 4
Louisville @ Notre Dame by 4
Wisconsin @ Iowa by 21
Oklahoma State @ Baylor by 52 (yes, I'm serious)
Missouri @ Tennessee by 4
USC @ UCLA by 14
Fresno State @ Nevada by 4

Stanford @ California by 4 (this one's for you, Cornballer)
Well done.

I can't believe both teams are 5-5 and playing for bowl eligibility. It'll be a weird game since Cal's offense is good but their defense is terrible whereas Stanford's defense is good but their offense has been having serious problems.

Tradition is dead

new_metallic_logo.0.jpg

First USC with the shiny red helmets, now Texas with these monstrosities. If Penn State finds some way to wear charcoal helmets then nothing sacred will be left.

In other news, your weekly bowl eligibility report:

NC State 6-5 (@UNC) BOWL ELIGIBLE
UNC 5-5 (@Duke, NC State) 1 win needed
Va Tech 5-5 (@WF, Virginia) 1 win needed
Virginia 4-6 (Miami, @VTech) 2 wins needed
Pittsburgh 4-6 (Syracuse, @Miami) 2 wins needed

Big 12
Texas 6-5 (@Ok State, TCU) BOWL ELIGIBLE
Ok. State 5-5 (@Baylor, @Oklahoma) 1 win needed

B1G
Rutgers 6-4 (@ MSU, @Maryland) BOWL ELIGIBLE
Pedo State 6-4 (@Illinois, MSU) BOWL ELIGIBLE
Michigan 5-5 ( Maryland, @tOSU) 1 win needed
Illinois 4-6 (Pedo State, @NW) 2 wins needed

Pac 12
UW 6-5 (OSU, @Wazzu) 1 win needed
Stanford 5-5 (@Cal, @UCLA) 1 win needed
Cal 5-5 (Stanford, BYU) 1 win needed
Oregon State 5-5 (@UW, Oregon) 1 win needed

SEC
Florida 5-4 (E Kentucky, @FSU) 1 win needed
Kentucky 5-6 (@Louisville) 1 win needed
SCAR 5-5 (South Alabama, @Clempson) 1 win needed
Tennessee 5-5 (Missouri, @Vandy) 1 wins needed

NC State, Texas, Rutgers and Pedo State all reached the 6 win plateau this past weekend and will go bowling. Things got a bit bleaker for Virginia, Pittsburgh, Illinois and Kentucky as they all hit the 6 loss mark leaving them no margin for error.

The winner of THE BIG GAME between Cal and Stanford will have extra satisfaction in knowing they are now bowl eligible. Oregon State's best chance to make a bowl is in knocking off the Huskies this weekend (and the Huskies best shot is winning next weekend against the Cougits). Oklahoma State probably won't be favored in either of their remaining games, so they're gonna have to pull an upset if they want to make a bowl. Several SEC schools will need wins in non conference rivalry games (Florida, Kentucky) in order to make bowls.

My prediction for this weekend: Va Tech, Michigan, Cal, Oregon State and SCAR all reach the 6 win plateau.

Well done.

I can't believe both teams are 5-5 and playing for bowl eligibility. It'll be a weird game since Cal's offense is good but their defense is terrible whereas Stanford's defense is good but their offense has been having serious problems.

I didn't know this until this weekend, but apparently before this weekend David Shaw was calling the offensive plays when they got in the red zone and their OC called them the rest of the time. Which probably explains why Stanford has been so awful in the red zone.

I didn't know this until this weekend, but apparently before this weekend David Shaw was calling the offensive plays when they got in the red zone and their OC called them the rest of the time. Which probably explains why Stanford has been so awful in the red zone.
Heh.

I was reading through a writeup on the Utah-Stanford game this morning. Some crazy stats:
The box score is ugly in a very incredible way. Utah only ran 60 (non-punt) plays despite two overtime possessions! There were 17 punts! Only four were returned, for a total of 23 yards! Five of the punts were in opponent territory! Stanford had one play longer than 20 yards! 21 plays resulted in a loss of yardage!

KingGondo

Banned
Are you betting on Gundy going to Florida with those 4-1 odds?
Hard to say. I'm not sure whether our current struggles make it more or less likely for him to leave.

Probably more likely. People outside the OSU/Stillwater bubble know how good he is and realize this season is almost certainly an aberration. Then you have the shortsighted diehards who can't remember how terrible we were at football prior to 2006.

This season (and the upcoming offseason) will be looked back on as pivotal to our program for years to come, one way or another.

AntoneM

Was going to make a joke about hating myself but then I saw the thread title, which in turn made me actually hate myself for trying to make a joke that was made in the thread title.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Brb, flying to Vegas to bet my mortgage on Baylor covering this weekend.

Yes, I realize the spread is 25.

You and I are not in a good place right now, with Baylor needing style points to jump ahead of TCU and both of our schools left on the schedule.

KingGondo

Banned
You and I are not in a good place right now, with Baylor needing style points to jump ahead of TCU and both of our schools left on the schedule.
It's gonna be really, really ugly. We're at our lowest point of the season, Baylor is playing great. Our confidence is at the Earth's core, Baylor's is sky-high. They want revenge for last season (and the RG3 beatdowns), we just want to avoid getting blown out.

If we somehow manage to cover that would be impressive.

(THU) Kansas State @ West Virginia by 7
(THU) North Carolina @ Duke by 9
Minnesota @ Nebraska by 9
Boston College @ Florida State by 7
Arizona @ Utah by 6
Stanford @ California by 8 (you know what to do)
Louisville @ Notre Dame by 7
Wisconsin @ Iowa by 7
Oklahoma State @ Baylor by 24
Missouri @ Tennessee by 8
USC @ UCLA by 9
Fresno State @ Nevada by 9

Jhriad

FyreWulff said:
We're like, the only fanbase so spoiled that 9 win minimum seasons aren't good enough... This got a bit ranty but at the end of the year what matters is the W and the L columns. Next year we play Wiscy at home and the players will be pumped up to kick their butt. Now we just need Wiscy to win out so they have a higher rank for us to boost off of. So many fanbases dream of the sort of consistent records we have

9 wins every year would be great if the way we lose most games wasn't so lopsided and if those wins were against anyone with a pulse. Our program is of a large enough size that we shouldn't be okay with only beating the low hanging fruit in one of the weakest conferences. Until we can at the very least remain somewhat competitive in all our losses there's no reason to remain complacent on this team and staff. There's no excuse for the yearly blowouts.

FyreWulff said:
These losses are "embarassing" but this shit is week to week.

You can't say it's week to week if we're consistently getting steamrolled by decent to good opponents year in and year out. The excuses a lot of folks used in previous years of "we don't have the talent yet" doesn't hold water anymore. Certain position coaches just aren't developing the talent we have and the coordinators/head coach aren't putting the team in the position to succeed.

FyreWulff said:
If he needs to make staffing adjustments they'll come at the end of the season.

ps we also need to get the damn bluehairs to make noise at games all the time.

Yeah, I'm not advocating that we make staff changes now but we do need to make some changes at the end of the season. There are position groups that have consistently under performed and desperately in need of a different coach. I brought it up mostly because I think Pelini will end up being too stubborn to change anything and it'll mean we're stuck with the same staff for 2-3 more years. At the very least we need to show Ross Els the door. Every unit he has been in charge of has been poor. The only reason the special teams are better this year is that Pelini personally spends more time coaching the unit. I'd credit him with the far better kick coverage and blocking on returns more than Els given how bad special teams have been under Els prior to this year.

Couldn't agree more about the bluehairs. If you can't be bothered to provide a home field advantage you shouldn't bother going to the game.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Not to defend 10RC, but it just happened. Now, if they don't sit out till it's settled, then yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom