• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Checkpoints in hard levels with several sections

RCU005

I'm currently playing Super Mario Wonder after abandoning it for several months due to not being able to have enough patience to beat the last last level.
I tried today again, and I still don't have patience for it, but this is why:

I believe there are three sections with three parts, with a checkpoint between each section.

What frustrates me is the fact that I need to play the first part millions of times because I die in the third part. So I never get to practice the third part, but since I start over from the first part, it just bores me to hell having to play the first and second part over and over again.

Then I reach the next section and it's the same thing.

I don't care that the several parts are hard. It's actually fun trying to master them, but it really sucks having to replay them so many times. I'm stuck in the second section, third part where there are fire bars. I haven't been able to even get a feeling about this part because I die, and have to go all the way back to the first part, and my mind just goes numb.

This is the time where I wish there was rewind or save states in games, because I just want to continue practicing what I can't do, not play a million times what I already did.

Last edited:

Hookshot

Gold Member
I can't remember how but there's a way to trivialize the fire bars. I think you hang back on 1 and just bounce full pelt on the others and they line up so you don't get hit.

It's even worse past the fire bit. You get a check point that is several sections away from SPOILER bouncing on those balloon fish things whilst using the invisible badge.

I gave up on it and haven't gone back.

Hunter 99

If its getting too frustrating and you feel you have tried to the point of nearly giving up then just youtube that section.
Saves you all the faff of constantly repeating the same shit.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Controversial take: it's intentionally designed old school difficulty - the idea being that being forced to retry the same sections so many times to get the trouble spot is building muscle memory and in game spatial awareness. Otherwise, shit wouldn't get "easier," or "more boring,"

That implies a level of autopilot that doesn't demand exacting precision and skills, which are developed by playing the game.

larrybrady

Neo Member
Sorta understand,.. had a similar situation with sister friede in ds3. .I got so use to doing her first 2 stages that i use to do them no- hit style,they just took time,an annoying amount of time.. I go into panic mode in her 3rd and final stage knowing if I die,i gotta start from stage one again ....took me like 60 tries

Parazels

I hate games, where you have to learn every single inch to proceed. If always feels like an artificial and unfair way to prolong a game.

Jinzo Prime

I'm currently playing Super Mario Wonder after abandoning it for several months due to not being able to have enough patience to beat the last last level.

I believe there are three sections with three parts, with a checkpoint between each section.

What frustrates me is the fact that I need to play the first part millions of times because I die in the third part. So I never get to practice the third part, but since I start over from the first part, it just bores me to hell having to play the first and second part over and over again.

I don't care that the several parts are hard. It's actually fun trying to master them, but it really sucks having to replay them so many times. I'm stuck in the second section, third part where there are fire bars. I haven't been able to even get a feeling about this part because I die, and have to go all the way back to the first part, and my mind just goes numb.

This is the time where I wish there was rewind or save states in games, because I just want to continue practicing what I can't do, not play a million times what I already did.
The last star in Super Mario Galaxy 2 is the same way: "The Perfect Run". I've got 241/242 stars to this day, but it's okay with me.

Hookshot

Gold Member
I hate games, where you have to learn every single inch to proceed. If always feels like an artificial and unfair way to prolong a game.
Mario wonder isn't quite that bad. The optional challenges in the new Prince of Persia are though, it's drop down die, drop down and go right die, drop down and go right now jump up die, drop down and go right now jump up and use ability to hit object die, drop down and go right now jump up and use ability to hit object and jump left die. But for 2 minutes at a time with no rest platforms, while being chased by spikes.

Parazels

Mario wonder isn't quite that bad. The optional challenges in the new Prince of Persia are though, it's drop down die, drop down and go right die, drop down and go right now jump up die, drop down and go right now jump up and use ability to hit object die, drop down and go right now jump up and use ability to hit object and jump left die. But for 2 minutes at a time with no rest platforms, while being chased by spikes.
Thank you. You saved my money, I will never buy the Prince of Persia.

Fahdis

Lol, Astro Bot's optional levels with the X, Square, Triangle and O levels literally were testing my patience. You only have 1 life to get through them. So you have to learn the levels after dying many times.

Vick

Gold Member
Would have bet my ass Thread was about Astro Bot Great Master Challenge. lol

I just want to continue practicing what I can't do, not play a million times what I already did.
If the entire level is under three minutes, after a while you end up practing what "you can't do" regardless, as it would gradually become what "you already did".
It's a super rewarding feeling when it all becomes muscle memory.

If it's insane shit like 7 minutes, well fuck that personally.

I think if a games gonna make you redo content it has to be fun or serve a purpose.

I ended loving dying in Returnal because it was an opportunity to play in an entirely different way or level up a new weapon.

What you describe sounds frustrating because it sounds like the levels are unrelated so your not practising what you need too to get better and wasting time on stuff you already mastered.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I think a game that does this very well is Ikaruga.

You beat stage 1, then move to the next one, and you die. Then you have to start from scratch but the thing is, even if you are already able to beat stage 1, you are still veeeery far from mastering it thanks to it's chain system. Because beating stage 1 is a thing, but beating stage 1 with a fuckton of points and an extra life is another, and this will only happen after having played stage 1 many, many times. And the same goes for any future stage of course.

I love that design, makes replaying the game from scratch so much fun. And you really need that level of mastery since it's the only way of getting extra lifes and the game is hard as fuck.

Top Bottom