• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cheney finally comes out against federal ban on gay marriage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3596732.stm

US Vice-President Dick Cheney has said he does not support a federal ban on gay marriage, apparently contradicting President George W Bush's stance.

Mr Cheney was addressing a campaign audience in Iowa that included his daughter, Mary, who is openly lesbian.

He said the issue of legalising gay unions should be settled by individual states rather than by Washington.

However, Mr Cheney said he accepted the views of Mr Bush, whose opposition to gay marriage is well publicised.

About time he finally spoke out. I wonder if US news outlets will report this?

Saw this on the evening news yesterday. I don't think this is an endorsement against a federal ban since he places the administrations ideals before his own.

Ripclawe

Banned
Justin Bailey said:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3596732.stm

About time he finally spoke out. I wonder if US news outlets will report this?

BBC got it wrong.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...040825/ap_on_el_pr/cheney_gays_6&sid=96378798

"Lynne and I have a gay daughter, so it's an issue our family is very familiar with," Cheney told an audience that included his daughter. "With the respect to the question of relationships, my general view is freedom means freedom for everyone. ... People ought to be free to enter into any kind of relationship they want to.

"The question that comes up with the issue of marriage is what kind of official sanction or approval is going to be granted by government? Historically, that's been a relationship that has been handled by the states. The states have made that fundamental decision of what constitutes a marriage," he said.

Bush backs a constitutional amendment prohibiting gay marriage, a move Cheney says was prompted by various judicial rulings, including the action in Massachusetts that made gay marriage legal.

"I think his perception was that the courts, in effect, were beginning to change, without allowing the people to be involved," Cheney said. "The courts were making the judgment for the entire country."

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Well his daughter is butchey, so it was only a matter of time.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
With the respect to the question of relationships, my general view is freedom means freedom for everyone. ... People ought to be free to enter into any kind of relationship they want to.
"The question that comes up with the issue of marriage is what kind of official sanction or approval is going to be granted by government? Historically, that's been a relationship that has been handled by the states. The states have made that fundamental decision of what constitutes a marriage," he said
That's not what I'd call support of the federal gay marriage ban. BUT, the yahoo article does give a better representation of what he actually said. Yeah, he doesn't say "I reject the federal gay marriage ban," but the words he said don't exactly echo the sentiments of the administration.

Edit: But the yahoo article doesn't have this quote from the cnn one:
"I made clear four years ago when this question came up in my debate with [Sen.] Joe Lieberman that my view was that that's appropriately a matter for the states to decide and that's how it ought best be handled."

That's almost the same thing as saying "I reject a federal ban on gay marriage."

IJoel

akbar1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom