• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

China responds to Mattis remarks on East China Sea islands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blablurn

By Christopher Bodeen | AP February 3 at 11:03 PM

BEIJING — The U.S. is putting regional stability in East Asia at risk
, a Chinese spokesman said Saturday following remarks by President Donald Trump’s defense secretary that a U.S. commitment to defend Japanese territory applies to an island group that China claims.

Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Lu Kang on Saturday called on the U.S. to avoid discussion of the issue and reasserted China’s claim of sovereignty over the tiny uninhabited islands, known in Japanese as the Senkaku and Chinese as Diaoyu.

The 1960 U.S.-Japan treaty is “a product of the Cold War, which should not impair China’s territorial sovereignty and legitimate rights,” Lu was quoted as saying in a statement posted on the ministry’s website.

“We urge the U.S. side to take a responsible attitude, stop making wrong remarks on the issue involving the Diaoyu islands’ sovereignty, and avoid making the issue more complicated and bringing instability to the regional situation,” Lu said.

On his first trip to Asia as secretary of defense, Mattis explicitly stated in Tokyo that the Trump administration will stick to the previous U.S. stance that the U.S.-Japan security treaty applies to defending Japan’s continued administration of the Senkaku islands.

The islands that lie between Taiwan and Okinawa were under U.S. administration from the end of World War II until their return to Japan in 1972. China cites historical records for its claim, and Japan’s move to nationalize several of the islands in 2012 set off anti-Japanese riots in China and prompted the government to dispatch ships and planes to the area around them as a challenge to Japanese control.

China also registered its displeasure with Mattis’ remarks Friday in South Korea that Trump’s administration is committed to carrying through on a deal the Obama administration reached with the Seoul government last year to deploy a high-end U.S. missile defense system to South Korea this year.

The Terminal High-Altitude Area Defense, or THAAD, is meant to improve protection of South Korea and Japan — as well as U.S. troops stationed in both countries — against a North Korean missile attack.

Beijing objects to the system because its powerful radar would allow it to peer deep into northeastern China, possibly allowing it to observe Chinese military movements.

At a Friday news conference, Lu said China’s “resolute opposition to the deployment ... remains unchanged and will not change.”

The deployment “will jeopardize security and the strategic interests of regional countries, including China, and undermine the strategic balance in the region,” Lu said.

Chinese officials and scholars say they anticipate further turbulence in relations with the U.S. under Trump. The president sparked anger among Chinese following his election when he broke with decades by talking on the phone with the president of Taiwan, the self-governing island democracy that Beijing considers its own territory.

Trump has also raised concerns with criticism of China’s military buildup in the South China Sea, accusations of currency manipulation and unfair trade policies and allegations that Beijing was doing too little to pressure its communist neighbor North Korea.

In a lighter moment, however, Chinese media and internet users praised an appearance by Trump’s daughter Ivanka and granddaughter Arabella Kushner’s visit to the Chinese Embassy in Washington on Wednesday to attend Lunar New Year festivities. A video clip of Arabella singing a song of holiday greetings also set alight China’s internet.

Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...b11ed7d8d2a_story.html?utm_term=.1c350b380e73

Only Ivanka can save China-US relations now. Cause it looks pretty bad right now. Trump also keeps ignoring Xi. According to the media he is doing that to show who is the number 1 in the world.

They can't piss their pants about an anti missle defence platform whilst north korea continues to advance their nuclear missle program.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
What are on those islands exactly that everybody in East Asia has their panties in a snowflake?

Blablurn

What are on those islands exactly that everybody in East Asia has their panties in a snowflake?

The see routes in the Soutch Chinese Sea are the endgame. if you control them, your control the economy.

Based on historical facts, this area belongs to China.

Blablurn

You're thinking of different territorial disputes with various SEA nations. Japan is not in Southeast Asia.

Ah, true! my fault. so many territorial disputes going on, despite it being very obvious that China owns the right to them.

Dehnus

Trump should take the islands

It's actually not about the Islands, it is about what is underneath. Gas reserves that both Japan and China want. Fossil Fuels.... we can't get rid of them fast enough, as otherwise nobody would even care about these little rocks in the middle of nowhere. And yes they are just a few little Rocks in the middle of nowhere. Many of these "disputed Islands" don't even have vegetation on them.

Breads

Banned

I'm seeing the word snowflake being tossed around a lot. Is this a new dog whistle term? What does it mean?

I thought snowflakes where people who eschewed aesthetic sensibilities in favor of being unique, usually to the expense of their own dignity.

As for the topic at hand... come on. Why do we (the us) have to fight this. This is in their (East Asia's) interest. Let them sort it out amongst themselves. Why does the US have to stick it's nose into everything.

jerry113

Banned
I'm seeing the word snowflake being tossed around a lot. Is this a new dog whistle term? What does it mean?

I thought snowflakes where people who eschewed aesthetic sensibilities in favor of being unique, usually to the expense of their own dignity.

As for the topic at hand... come on. Why do we (the us) have to fight this. This is in their (East Asia's) interest. Let them sort it out amongst themselves. Why does the US have to stick it's nose into everything.

Because South Korea, Taiwan and Japan have have been our allies for the past 60 years?

Volimar

We probably shouldn't fuck with Lu Kang.

Let's dispel the notion that Trump doesn't know what he's doing.

ei5gYL1.gif

That's how I feel as well. It's an East Asian issue. But same time US has been playing world police for a long time and South Korea and Japan (I think ? ) depend on US forces.

I didnt think this was anything new, Japan also patrols ishigaki islands like Taiwan is going to invade a island full of rich Americans holidaying.

Magni

Isn't it well known that the ruling was ill-founded and null and void?

I used to think you were some random German guy with a hard-on for Bayern, but I see you in literally every thread that concerns China defending them against whatever it is that they're being attacked in the thread for. Why?

On topic: the world can't get past fossil fuels soon enough, we should make those islands an international marine reserve or something.

I used to think you were some random German guy with a hard-on for Bayern, but I see you in literally every thread that concerns China defending them against whatever it is that they're being attacked in the thread for. Why?

On topic: the world can't get past fossil fuels soon enough, we should make those islands an international marine reserve or something.

He's a panda.

Blablurn

I don't think that I always support them. I disagree with a lot of their actions.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I see i'm not the only one who imagined that statement coming from a ripped, glistening dude with long black hair doing bicycle kicks in red spandex.

Not really.

The islands are extremly important for geopolitical reasons. China has a single long coast line but is basically closely surrounded by other nations. It's basically like a cage in the eyes of China and USA.
So breaking out with claiming sovereignty of those islands will help China to break out of that cage.

Cerium

Not really.

The islands are extremly important for geopolitical reasons. China has a single long coast line but is basically closely surrounded by other nations. It's basically like a cage in the eyes of China and USA.
So breaking out with claiming sovereignty of those islands will help China to break out of that cage.
You're thinking of the SEA disputes. Even if the Senkakus were Chinese, there's still Okinawa to the east and Taiwan to the South. There is a very direct correlation between the discovery of oil and natural gas reserves and nations suddenly giving a fuck about those islands.

Magni

I don't think that I always support them. I disagree with a lot of their actions.

Hm, maybe it's just confirmation bias on my end, but I always notice the support, not the disagreements.

Historically, these islets are nobody's, because nobody knew of or gave a fuck about oil reserves until recently.

This is business as usual for everyone... except I get the feeling China is going to find a way to play hardball with the US ever since the whole Taiwan debacle with Trump sets them on edge.

Matt

Hard to argue with either of the United States' position here. The islands do belong to Japan, and we are legally committed to defending Japan. As for the missile shield, I understand China's security concerns, but again, we have a responsibility to the defense of South Korea and Japan, and the threat of missiles from North Korea is a valid one.

Joe

The language and tone China uses in response to Mattis is so different than what they use when responding to Trump. I get the feeling that China, not Russia, is the country working hardest on a long-term plan for the post-Trump world.

Trump has already given China two early gifts by backing out of TPP and calling the state of US/Australia relations into question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom