• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chinese grandparents and gaming

MrMephistoX

This might get a little heated but I'm trying to understand what's happening: first a little background. For some reason my in-laws / daughter's grandparents (Who are mainland Chinese) are like deathly afraid of gaming and got super pissed when I brought out some Disney Infinity figures and the game to play with my 3 year old daughter. They think this is going to inevitably lead her to juvenile delinquency and a future of bad grades if I translated our conversation correctly.

When they watch her, they let my daughter use the iPad to watch Frozen and Big Hero 6 over and over and over again and that's apparently fine but somehow letting my 3 year old watch me play Disney Infinity, and keeping it interactive (ie. what color is Captain America? Is that a ball? Do you want me to make him jump?) is grounds for a complete grand parental freakout, meltdown, walk out of the house situation.

Am I bad parent or is it just a weird cultural quirk I'm not going to be able to get around? Am I restricted to forcing my kid to be a mindless robot who does nothing but watch videos and only play with non digital toys around her grandparents forever? Can anyone relate and if so how did you solve this: they're staying with us for about 2 months.

Bust out some wii sports and hand them a wiimote.

Edit: your not a bad parent, I've been playing video games with my kids since they were 3. I got my son a 2ds when he was 3 and my wife thought he wouldn't use it. Turns out he loved the thing to death and ended up fucking up the charge port from plugging it in to many times. So my daughter gave him her 3ds and for doing a good deed I gave her my XL.

Top Bottom