• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Clean is Better Than Dirty" appreciation thread!

ge-man

I wasn't here for the backlash, but something tells it was more from Nintendo fans fearing for their company's image in the console wars than from Nintendo trolls and casual gamers. The only problem I have with commerical is the same problem I have with most Nintendo commericals--game footage is way too brief.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
If this forum had an archive from 2002, you'd see myself vigourously defending that advertisement. I've bitched and moaned a-plenty about Nintendo's advertising, mainly pre "who are you?", but it was always about Nintendo's attempts to paint a "cool" image in their marketing. Nintendo is alot of things, but "cool" is not one of those things. Nintendo should just be themselves and stop trying to become another Sony.

Perhaps the one thing lacking from the "Clean is better..." comercial is a punch line towards the end. As a parody its almost "too authentic". Seriously, those PSA ads we're exactly like that. One that immediately comes to mind is an anti-smoking PSA with a sing-a-long called the "cigarette dash" (or was it "cigarette smash"??) . It involved people singing and dancing to the "ciggerate dash" and they were litterly stomping out dozens of unlit ciggerates at thier feet...making a mess of the place..which looked like some basement arcade/pool hall.

"Are YOU ready for the cigarette dash?!"

explodet

Gahiggidy said:
Perhaps the one thing lacking from the "Clean is better..." comercial is a punch line towards the end. As a parody its almost "too authentic".
Uh-huh.
It's a joke that too many people just didn't get, and it's certainly wasn't their fault, either.

There's a kind of irony floating around with these kinds of parodies.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Gahiggidy said:
Perhaps the one thing lacking from the "Clean is better..." comercial is a punch line towards the end. As a parody its almost "too authentic". Seriously, those PSA ads we're exactly like that.
Well, I think that's exactly the problem with the commercial. It did little to establish itself as a parody; and worse, many younger gamers (say, below 15 or 16 when the game came out) may not have even realized what the commerical was attempting to parody, instead believing that Nintendo was just going for a "kiddy" image.

Ristamar

GaimeGuy said:
which one? The Japanese Thriller ripoff, or the "ZELDA! ZELDA!" commercial, which was for Zelda 2: Adventures of Link, I believe.

The "ZELDA! ZELDA!" commercial was for the original.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
human5892 said:
Well, I think that's exactly the problem with the commercial. It did little to establish itself as a parody; and worse, many younger gamers (say, below 15 or 16 when the game came out) may not have even realized what the commerical was attempting to parody, instead believing that Nintendo was just going for a "kiddy" image.
Well, I'd like to see someone here raise their hands here and admit that they really took the commercial at face value. That they are unaware of those types of ads from the 80's. I wasn't young enough to watch TV from the 70's but I'd certainly recognize an "I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing (Coke)" parody.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Gahiggidy said:
Well, I'd like to see someone here raise their hands here and admit that they really took the commercial at face value. That they are unaware of those types of ads from the 80's. I wasn't young enough to watch TV from the 70's but I'd certainly recognize an "I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing (Coke)" parody.
I sort of did, in that I didn't make the connection to any actual commercials until a little while after I had initially seen the ad. I did assume it was some kind of joke, though.

Ferrio

Banned
zelda.jpg

zelda2.jpg

oh god. bumpage.

THAT AD IS BAD. seriously, I am adding this to my list of things Nintendo did WAY wrong this gen.

** That Japanese Zelda ad is a winner. Fucking fantastic!

Top Bottom