• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Coalition deaths tops 1000

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIMIC

Banned
The death of a U.S. soldier today (July 9th) in Baghdad marks the thousandth coalition member killed since the invasion of Iraq began on March 19, 2003.

The casualties are made up of 15 different countries: 880 American; 60 British; 6 Polish; 1 Danish; 11 Spanish; 19 Italian; 7 Ukrainian; 6 Bulgarian; 2 Thai; 1 Estonian; 3 Salvadoran; 1 Netherlander; 1 Slovenian; 1 Latvian; and 1 Hungarian.

Who really cares about Iraqi Civilians? I'm 100% against the war in Iraq but, lets be honest here were are talking about hurling tons of high tech powerkegs out of high tech cataputs. People that you don't mean to kill are going to get killed. That's the way of the war. I think is silly to think that for some reason you can avoid killing civilians. War is an equal opportunity ender of lives.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
Slick_Advanced said:
Who really cares about Iraqi Civilians? I'm 100% against the war in Iraq but, lets be honest here were are talking about hurling tons of high tech powerkegs out of high tech cataputs. People that you don't mean to kill are going to get killed. That's the way of the war. I think is silly to think that for some reason you can avoid killing civilians. War is an equal opportunity ender of lives.

And that's a reason to say 'who really cares'? When its in the 10s of thousands? What the fuck is wrong with you. And it wasn't a war. It was an attack. Period.

Bah, if I died tomorrow they or you wouldn't give a rats ass. It's the cycle of life. Is it tragic sure but guess what? People die.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
Slick_Advanced said:
Bah, if I died tomorrow they or you wouldn't give a rats ass. It's the cycle of life. Is it tragic sure but guess what? People die.

Thanks for that insight. If a country invaded the US tomorrow and 10,000 people were slaughtered im sure you'd have the same reaction. The point is, it was uncecessaryand based on bullshit.

xabre

Banned

The point is, since you're too thick to get it, is that these thousands of people have died NEEDLESSLY.

Comprehende?

Don't disagee with it being unecessary. But, the assumption that we have evolved socially from our bow and arrow, on horses raping and pillaging is incorrect. We are no different today than we were 3000 years ago. The activity of war haven't changed.

xabre

Banned
Don't disagee with it being unecessary. But, the assumption that we have evolved socially from our bow and arrow, on horses raping and pillaging is incorrect. We are no different today than we were 3000 years ago. The activity of war haven't changed.

Of course not, but to sit back and say "this is just the way we are" and turning a blind eye sends a message to those in power that such things are accepted by the masses.

Everyone dies for a reason.

So for the Iraqi family who just had their house flattened that reason would be?

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
The point is, since you're too thick to get it, is that these thousands of people have died NEEDLESSLY.

Saddam has killed hundreds of thousands, tortured many and trampled the spirits of all Iraqi people over the past decades and you say getting rid of him was needless?

Whatever dude.

Don't claim to be on the Iraqi peoples side and ignore the fact that deaths and suffering have gone down since Saddam was run out of power.

2086046.standard.jpg

MIMIC

Banned
MSW said:
Saddam has killed hundreds of thousands, tortured many and trampled the spirits of all Iraqi people over the past decades and you say getting rid of him was needless?

Whatever dude.

Don't claim to be on the Iraqi peoples side and ignore the fact that deaths and suffering have gone down since Saddam was run out of power.

We ignored the genocide for 10s of years. What made 2003 so special (when no genocide was reported)?

xabre said:
Of course not, but to sit back and say "this is just the way we are" and turning a blind eye sends a message to those in power that such things are accepted by the masses.

It isn't?

MSW said:

Whatever dude.

Don't be claim to be on the Iraqi peoples side and ignore the fact that deaths and suffering have gone down since Saddam was run out of power.

I didn't care and really most Americans didn't care that Saddam was killing hundreds or thousands. So what? Be honest this wasn't about moral clarity it's about power and biting the hand that feeds you. When those hundreds of thousands were from Iran he was all good. Big deal. Lets get the goods since we are there and get our people back home. That's about the best you can hope for now.

xabre

Banned

OMG, really?

Don't be claim to be on the Iraqi peoples side and ignore the fact that deaths and suffering have gone down since Saddam was run out of power.

I'm fed up with this argument. Get a new one.

xabre said:

So for the Iraqi family who just had their house flattened that reason would be?

Bad real estate agent? What do you think? They are in a war zone. I'm not saying it's good I'm just saying that IS going to happen during war.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
MSW said:

Whatever dude.

Yes, because the US administration gives such a fuck about the suffering of the iraqis on the other side of the planet. Yes.. that was the motivation. To help the poor iraqis. They lied to the world, spent hundreds of billions, and sacrificed thousands of lives, because they were so desparate to get in there and help the poor iraqis by any means necessary.

The 'humanitrian' side of this is the only thing to back into, after claims of every other superceding reason has been ripped to shreds and proven to be nothing more than msinformation and lies.

Yes, it was needless. Because, let's be honest. Did you personally give a fuck about iraqis before the war? Did most americans? You don't need to answer that. All these born-again human-rights activists for the iraqis humor me. I wonder how many words of concern and dissaproval they'd spoken before the push for war.

xabre

Banned
It isn't?

It is, because the masses are likely to turn a blind eye or even be complicit in this imperialism shit. Even those that oppose such action lack the necessary support among the masses to effect change.

Bad real estate agent? What do you think? They are in a war zone. I'm not saying it's good I'm just saying that IS going to happen during war.

Such things are needless though aren't they? I mean if the best the pro-war sheep can come up with is a bunch of crap about WMD that don't exist or a big bad dictator who happens to be one of many, supported by the US at a point and just suddenly became a danger in 2003, then killing 10,000 of these poor bastards is pretty needless I think.

Slurpy said:
Yes, it was needless. Because, let's be honest. Did you personally give a fuck about iraqis before the war? Did most americans? You don't need to answer that.

Hell, I can say the same thing about Canadians and Mexicans. Keep it off my block and I'm all good.

Wolfy

Banned
The two justifications made for war, were Terror ties, WMD, and that's it. The liberation crap is revisionist history.

Wolfy said:
The two justifications made for war, were Terror ties, WMD, and that's it. The liberation crap is revisionist history.

Pretty much, anyone remember the whole need for regime change that the public didn't buy. That was the first attempt but, it didn't work the whole humanitarian angle was the last grasp at a reasonable attempt.

Tabris

If you want to be a humanitarian, here's the best place to start:

congo-map.gif

Of course, America would have nothing to do with that.

Tabris

Wanna know how many soldiers the United States currently has in UN Peacekeeping operations around the world? 7.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Perspective time.

World War II Pacific campaign:
Okinawa: 12,250 American soldiers dead
Iwo Jima: 4,717
Guadalcanal: 1,592

I wonder, were the Japanese happier in 1944 than they are in 2004?

I will never fully appreciate why some of us are so willing to deny others the dignities of life that we in Western democracies take for granted. Even if you believe every Halliburton conspiracy there is, you have to acknowledge that Iraqis now have the best chance they've had in 40 years to have what we consider to be full and happy lives. To be sure, the issue is still in doubt. But the chance is there.

And even if you believe all the oil plunder theories, what's the difference between Bush's oil plunder, executed by American companies, and Saddam's oil plunder, which was executed by French and Russian consortiums? Why the difference in moral outrage? To me, they are indistinguishable concepts. I appreciate your thoughts.

Guileless said:
Perspective time.

find a dictionary and look up the word "preemptive" before comparing Japan to Iraq.

ShadowRed

Banned
Guileless said:
Perspective time.

I will never fully appreciate why some of us are so willing to deny others the dignities of life that we in Western democracies take for granted. Even if you believe every Halliburton conspiracy there is, you have to acknowledge that Iraqis now have the best chance they've had in 40 years to have what we consider to be full and happy lives. To be sure, the issue is still in doubt. But the chance is there.

And even if you believe all the oil plunder theories, what's the difference between Bush's oil plunder, executed by American companies, and Saddam's oil plunder, which was executed by French and Russian consortiums? Why the difference in moral outrage? To me, they are indistinguishable concepts. I appreciate your thoughts.

Big bowl of steaming bullshit. Why were you and your fellow Republicans/conservatives screaming like a bunch of bitches when Clinton tried to offer the Somalia’s "the dignities of life that we in Western democracies take for granted". Where was your great humanitarian spirit then? Why start in Iraq, when there are 10 plus other countries far worse than Saddam's Iraq, all in resource depleted central Africa? Calling this war a war of liberation is like me calling myself a hero for running into a burning Gamestop and grabbing up all the games and consoles while 100 people in the Bed Bath and Beyond next door are burning to death.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
Guileless said:
Perspective time.

Comparing Iraq to WW2? Sorry, I don't respond to retarded bullshit. There is no analogy.

FightyF

Banned

I see your point, but it doesn't take into consideration that it could have been easily avoided. It doesn't take into consideration that a few people who are responsible to you, are the cause of these deaths.

Many Iraqis did live full and happy lives before the invasion...though, not by our standards (because we value different things, they value family...we value materialism). The only thing that could be considered hurtful to the Iraqis was the sanctions. You can say that the sanctions wouldn't exist if it weren't for Saddam Hussien. I'd agree, but that's only half the truth. We are responsible for slapping those very sanctions on, so we are partly responsible as well.

Think of it this way...Iraqi lives under Saddam were no different than American lives, other than having a stricter "Patriot Act" under Saddam. Like the Patriot act here in the US, Iraqis living in Iraq had to give up certain freedoms for security. Americans don't mind this concept, as they are fine with the Patriot Act for the most part. As is the case in America, if you've spoke out against the government in Iraq in a manner that is not pleasing to the government, you'll go to jail and have your rights stripped. You may be beaten, tortured, or killed.

I'm not saying it's right. IMO it's wrong and it took things too far. But it's not much different than what's occuring here, it's just on a more extreme level. We have to be vigilant and make sure that we don't follow the same route, and realize that our reaction to what was occuring in Iraq was ineffective (and IMO, wrong).

Going back to your point...I don't see how Iraqi lives can somehow get better all of a sudden. It will take years before the entire country's infastructure is rebuilt. Just imagine yourself living there...as a student. Under the previous regime, you get free education. Though you are brainwashed with false history textbooks, and with Saddam posters all over each wall, you can still educate yourself to work as an engineer. Get married, have kids, have fun with relatives...live a full life.

Now with no public education in place, only the rich kids can go to school, until public education resumes to the widespread state that it previously existed at. The same applies to all other public services. Without security, without infastructure...lives can easily fall apart.

Saddam had to leave because he was a power hungry person. But to sacrifice tens of thousands of lives, electricity, water, education, security, etc...it's not worth it. And that's not considering the real reasons why this war was fought...which makes the scenario all the more heinous.

Guileless

I am comparing battle deaths in the occupation of three small Pacific island nations with that of a country the size of California for the sake of perspective. I did not compare the casus belli of the war with Japan to the war with Iraq. The comments to that effect are irrelevant to my point, which all three of you ignored.

ShadowRed, the first President Bush undertook the Somalia operation in the months after the election. President Clinton had nothing to do with the decision to send troops there.

Slurpy said:
Sorry, I don't respond to retarded bullshit.

Brilliantly argued as always Slurpy. Well done.

ShadowRed

Banned
"ShadowRed, the first President Bush undertook the Somalia operation in the months after the election. President Clinton had nothing to do with the decision to send troops there. "

Wait so all the rancor from the Republicans to get out of Somalia, after the Blackhawk down incident was just my imagination.

FightyF

Banned

I'd have to side with Slurpy's comments...your points don't make sense. 2004 is half a century later after being nuked, anything can happen in 50 years.

Perhaps we should nuke the Banana Republic to improve the quality of life of the people there? I know, you don't mean to say that. What you mean to say is that after nuking them, we'll be directly involved in giving them a jump start to rebuild, and after 10 years these people will be better off.

So only by nuking them, and then assisting them, we are able to make lives better.

I just realized that this thread went on a tangent within the first few posts.

It has to be said that these 1000 deaths of coalition troops are sad...and in my book, they died with the best of intentions and did it for their families. But it doesn't change the fact that they were put into harm's way by the Bush Administration. They were used as pawns, used to fulfill an objective that wasn't necessarily in the best interests of the American people.

Unlike WW2...these deaths were for greed, not for justice. I think that's an insult to the lives of these soldiers.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
Guileless, all 3 were very relevant to your point. What, you were comparing strictly deaths apart from anything else? Whats the point? Our weapons weapons, technology, armor, and trategies have improved, and this wasn't exaclty a balanced fight. Noone expected WW2 numbers. So that isn't a 'point' in and of itself.

The rest of your post was laughable, which was commented on. We never went in to improve the iraqi quality of life. And whether or not they ultimately do by some meaurement, it does not justify anything in the least. You don't lie toyour people, to the world, and invoke catastrophic scare tactics and heinous allegations to go in and help people, especially when the list of countries that need greater help is so numerous.

Invoking the threat of nuclear explosions on american soil from Iraq doesnt stand to that scrutiny.

Guileless

Once again, I never said once we invaded Iraq solely to improve life in Iraq. I said that a likely consequence of the invasion is that their lives will improve. I also pointed out the hypocrisy of opposing the war based on oil plunder when the man in charge was plundering oil like nobody's business with the aid of Western companies. It's safe to assume the Iraqi people will realize more benefits from oil profits now than they ever did under Saddam. So why get worked up over oil plunder, especially when there's no evidence that it's even happening? It makes no sense to me.

There are legitimate reasons to oppose the war, principally the cost related to the uncertain (and fading) prospects for ultimate success. But the reasons advanced in this thread aren't compelling.

Fight for Freeform, I have a fundamental disagreement with you over the quality of life in Iraq before the invasion. Obviously neither one of us lived there and must depend on reporting to form an opinion, but based on everything I have it was not comparable to the United States, even with the Patriot Act. I'll agree to disagree with you on that point.

Socreges

Banned
cheney.jpg

Dick Cheney: And he established the Bush doctrine, which holds that any person or regime who harbors or supports terrorists is equally guilty of terrorist crimes and will be held to account.

2381048_200X150.jpg

Jon Stewart: Yes, the Bush Doctrine, holding regimes that harbor terrorists to account. That doctrine of course also carries the Bush Asterisk, which simply states: “Doctrine not valid in Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Syria, and Pakistan.”

FightyF

Banned
Once again, I never said once we invaded Iraq solely to improve life in Iraq. I said that a likely consequence of the invasion is that their lives will improve. I also pointed out the hypocrisy of opposing the war based on oil plunder when the man in charge was plundering oil like nobody's business with the aid of Western companies. It's safe to assume the Iraqi people will realize more benefits from oil profits now than they ever did under Saddam. So why get worked up over oil plunder, especially when there's no evidence that it's even happening? It makes no sense to me.

That's because you aren't considering what goes into oil and gas production, a costly step is refinement. Iraqis don't see any of that money. The money they do see will be going the US for a while, before they see much of it.

And to refer to your statement, "I also pointed out the hypocrisy of opposing the war based on oil plunder when the man in charge was plundering oil like nobody's business with the aid of Western companies.", you entirely missing the point. The point being that the deaths of innocent people for the oil is heinous. The phrase "Blood for Oil" alludes to both of these factors. One, that oil will be plundered, and secondly it will cost innocent Iraqi lives.

There are legitimate reasons to oppose the war, principally the cost related to the uncertain (and fading) prospects for ultimate success. But the reasons advanced in this thread aren't compelling.

It almost seems as if you are ignoring some issues. Mainly issues that related to modern day warfare. Killing thousands of innocent people, knocking out power grids, disrupting and destroying public services...these were all expected to be consequences of the invasion, before the invasion even started. Do you not think that the consequent death of thousands of Iraqis a legitimate reason for opposing the war? Apparently, the issue of human suffering does not factor into your equation. (I'm not implying that you are cold hearted...it's just that your equation doesn't take this into account)

Fight for Freeform, I have a fundamental disagreement with you over the quality of life in Iraq before the invasion. Obviously neither one of us lived there and must depend on reporting to form an opinion, but based on everything I have it was not comparable to the United States, even with the Patriot Act.

I've been involved with Amnesty International, and help out an organization called CANESI, which opposed the sanctions in Iraq and was active years before Bush was in power. Though I haven't visited Iraq, I can say that I know enough from friends who did go over there, and from Iraqis themselves, to base my opinion on. I have met Iraqis of all walks of life, even some who were brainwashed to love Saddam. I've met many who hate his guts.

You missed the point about the "Patriot Act" parallel I was drawing. Much of the picture painted by the Western Media was as if most Iraqis lived like Jews under Pharoah. That wasn't the case. Most lived normal, productive lives under the Regime, as long as you kept your mouth shut about the regime. It's not all that different from the current situation in the US.

I'm sure you'll consider your life well off, productive..."full and happy", do you not? But that's not the case with all Americans. Some have been spied on, some have had their phone conversations recorded, and arrested. Some of these people have been beaten in prison, and these people have no legal representation and are held without charge. It's not as bad as the Saddam Regime...it's probably only 1/100th as bad as what occurred under Saddam Hussien. The point is...Iraqis who didn't cross the political line lived just as normally as we do here. Like I said, the biggest hurtful factor was the sanctions. And even then, as the sanctions were being circumvented for the latter half of the decade, things were getting back to normal for most people.

If you don't believe me, go talk to a few hundred Iraqis who are diverse in religion/race. Talk to their families, talk about how it was for the last 2 generations. I guarentee that your perception will change. I don't think I can say any more on the subject, other than answer questions. I don't mean to argue, but you have to understand that I have a lot of experience and taken the time to educate myself on these issues, and it looks like your info on which you base your opinion on isn't very broad.

Guileless

The United States is far from perfect. The difference (and this is a huge difference, one big enough to make your analogy pretty specious) is that the bad things you talk about are illegal aberrations, not state policy as they were under Saddam. We live under the rule of law. No system is perfect, but I know for damn sure I would rather be arrested here than in Saddam's Iraq.

The point being that the deaths of innocent people for the oil is heinous.
Again, assuming that the US invaded "for oil", how is that different than Saddam using violence to cement his control over oil revenues, and using the vast majority of those revenues for palaces and the military? And only sharing the oil largesse with those who helped him keep everyone else in line? I still don't see a difference. The Iraqi people were not getting the benefit of free market commodity trading. It's safe to assume that any oil-related deals signed since the war are much more transparent, vetted, and legitimate than those signed under Saddam. If you disagree, please state why. You are opposed to both invasion and sanctions as options to deal with Saddam. So, what would you have done?

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
MIMIC said:
The casualties are made up of 15 different countries: 880 American; 60 British; 6 Polish; 1 Danish; 11 Spanish; 19 Italian; 7 Ukrainian; 6 Bulgarian; 2 Thai; 1 Estonian; 3 Salvadoran; 1 Netherlander; 1 Slovenian; 1 Latvian; and 1 Hungarian.
Fucking awesome. Not a single Australian death. We rock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom