• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(CoH) Cryptic to Marvel: "Your suit is meritless."

Matlock

Banned
http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/11/15/1714235&tid=209&tid=123

Oh boy oh boy oh boy.

In other news, Manabyte to become spokesperson for Summer's Eve.

manabyte.jpg

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
here is a reply I just posted today in the other thread from peter davaid (you know, that guy who works for Marvel)

http://peterdavid.malibulist.com/archives/002216.html

Peter David said:
One has to be aggressive in protecting one's trademarks, because--at least it's my understanding--failure to do so weakens them to the point of possible forfeit. That's why George Lucas had to go after the US gov't over "Star Wars" as applied to SDI, even though it was pretty much a lost cause from the get-go.

So if Marvel's legal beagles genuinely believe their trademark is possibly being infringed, they literally have no choice but to file suit. The outcome itself is almost secondary to taking the action. I do not believe for an instant the notion that they're doing so just to try and make money from settlements or wins. There are so many more effective and assured ways for Marvel to turn a buck than the wholly unpredictable option of litigation that it's just too silly a notion for me to accept.

!?

Confused then why did they go on a banning spree taking out anyone with a name or likess to a licensed character claiming it was to aviod what is now happening....for shits and giggles?

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Great Wasabi Man said:
Confused then why did they go on a banning spree taking out anyone with a name or likess to a licensed character claiming it was to aviod what is now happening....for shits and giggles?

They've been doing that from the start - if they weren't actively policing it then I believe they wouldn't be able to claim the suit is meritless.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
see the above comment by Peter David.. it is being suggested that marvel all but has no choice on this suit.. even if it is silly and pointless, if they didn't defend their trademarks in it technically another MMORPG could come along and do even worse (actually give default templates to marvel characters) and they could claim that marvel didn't go after Cryptic, weakening marvel's claim..

I was pretty upset at marvel about this at first, but being given a little insight into how copyright and trademark protection work, it actually makes a bit of sense now..

and no, marvel won't win, but if they didn't fight this now chances are they could really suffer some damages down the road from another company (or even cryptic I suppose).

Top Bottom