• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Playoff Thread | Setting A Daggerous Precedent

Status
Not open for further replies.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Jns8jrZ.png

So the 2014 College Football season has come and gone and has separated the Pretenders from the Contenders. For the first College Football Playoff we ended up with what everyone wanted to begin with: the Conference Champion of each of the P4 Conferences is represented while the mid-major conferences were all (predictably) left out.

KjZMhU4.gif

One year, maybe, the field will be expanded enough to allow the have not conferences to have a seat at the table, but until that day comes, they'll just have to watch the big boys play from the comfort of their homes.

Rankings
PNAId1a.png

Yahoo! Bowl Pick 'Em

As is our tradition, we will be participating in the Yahoo! Bowl Pick 'Em. We play for pride, the right to name the off-season thread, and the bonus of permabanning one Georgia Tech fan of your choice.

http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/bowl/group/10487
password:
freebluemax

If that link gives you an error, go here: http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/bowl/register/joinprivategroup and enter 10487 as the "group id".

2014-15 College Football Bowl Schedule
4wIi4uF.jpg

Week 15 Hall of Shame
Who Posted? Total Posts: 3,149
User Name Posts
Lonestar 173
mre 167
bucknuticus 150
Yaboosh 142
Randolph Freelander 136
Kacar 123
perfectchaos007 109
Draxal 79
KingGondo 75
ksharp 74
Kevtones 67
BertramCooper 67
MIMIC 60
Frustrated_Grunt 58
cashman 54
truly101 50
theprodigy 47
andycapps 39
Battlezone 38
Tamanon 37
cdyhybrid 33
Piggus 33
Draconian 31
GoldenEye 007 30
Balphon 28
jakefromstatefarm 28
Meier 28
inm8num2 27
Cyan 27

I'm glad all of the major conferences were represented in the playoffs. It would have been a travesty if the SEC or B1G had 2 representatives. I guess the committee really does only select CCG winners.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Not really important to anyone else, but Alabama chose it's Permanent Captains (given at the end of each season, they'll get their handprints and footprints in cement around Denny Chimes)

Blake Sims
Jalston Fowler
Amari Cooper
Landon Collins

Surprising that Yeldon didn't get chosen as well (hold out hope for a Senior Return!)

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion

Ok, I can understand being pissed, and the fact that lots of fans got the snub because they wanted a Baylor or TCU in (because hey, the youth like All Offense All The Time and teams that have a better shot to beat Alabama, because everyone loves it when Alabama Loses), but this statement:

Do you really think anyone outside the state of Ohio has been jonesing for an Alabama-Ohio State matchup?

Is stupid. There are millions of OSUn fans, and they're everywhere. There are alot of Alabama fans (especially now with the Bandwagon Crew), but I still imagine it's less, simply based on regional population differences.

OSUn/Alabama will have an insanely high television rating.

Pimpwerx

OSU getting mollywhopped on a national stage again? I guess it's not the worst thing in the world. The committee looks dumb for even having TCU so high last week just to flipflop and give it to OSU. PEACE.

Yooooo these tix are expensive:

@brdispatch 55m55 minutes ago
#OhioState has a 13,000-ticket allotment at $195 apiece for the semifinal against Alabama in New Orleans.

jbug617

Banned
you guys see Art Briles go off?
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...e-selection-committee-needs-more-southerners/

“My opinion, since people are asking? I think the committee needs to be a little more regionalized with people that are associated with the south part of the United States,” Briles told ESPN.com. “I’ll say that. I’m not sure if there’s a connection on there that is that familiar with the Big 12 Conference. To me, that’s an issue.”

The Big 12 is represented on the committee by West Virginia athletics director Oliver Luck, but he’s not exactly a born-and-bred Southerner. Luck was raised in Cleveland and played at West Virginia well before the Mountaineers were rubbing elbows with the likes of Texas, Baylor and Oklahoma.

For his part, Briles had a few names in mind to make the 2015 committee a little more Southern-fried, offering former Texas Tech coach Spike Dykes, former Texas coach Mack Brown and former Texas A&M coach R.C. Slocum on SportsCenter as candidates he’d like to be considered.

“When Archie Manning went off, I said we’re in trouble,” Briles said. “I know Archie. He’s a friend. He understands football down here. When he went off that committee, we were in trouble. We need a voice. We need a voice.”

Piggus

I find out tomorrow how many tickets our family is getting for the Rose Bowl and potential final. 'Tis gonna determine whether I go to one of them or not. We got 6+ for the 2010 Rose Bowl, 2012 Rose Bowl, Fiesta Bowl, and Alamo Bowl but only 4 for the 2011 NC, so I'm a little worried.

EDIT

Because the Rose Bowl between the No. 2 Oregon Ducks and No. 3 Florida State Seminoles is one of the semifinals of the College Football Playoffs, the Ducks are only allotted a fraction of the usual tickets to sell. The rest of the tickets will be available through Ticketmaster.

Well that's not a good sign. Get fucked, Ticketmastercunt.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Still don't know what this is in reference to...

Art Briles voted Texas 5th in his final ballot in 2008 and OU number 1, despite head to head results (and the fact that pretty much no one had Texas that low). Texas needed to make up a small amount of ground to jump OU and play in the Big 12 title game (and Florida in the title game).

He now wants to have a pity parade when the same sort of jockeying hurts his team, but has passed the buck that someone else filled out that 08 ballot.

So, fuck him and Baylor. Zero sympathy.

I think Alabama will win it, I'm hoping Oregon do though.

Either way, I think it will be Bama v Oregon final (its what I predicted at the start of the year as well)

Go Oregon. Despise the other three teams in the playoff.

I mean, you have a team that is threatening to win 4 of the last 6 national championships, a team that is lead by an alleged rapist, a team that only got in the playoffs due to being a major name, and the best team Nike money can buy.

Its going to be tough to root for any of these teams if you're not already a fan imo.

MIMIC

Banned

*reads the article*

TCU goes into Saturday as the rightful No. 3 team, wins its game by 52 points . . . and plummets all the way to sixth when the final standings come out Sunday afternoon. Why are the Horned Frogs suddenly behind the Baylor and Ohio State teams they were ahead of for weeks?

[...]

The Buckeyes are suddenly "decisive" because they took apart a suspect Wisconsin team? Please. The committee showed absolutely no respect for the Big Ten all year (rightly so) until they needed to in order to meet an agenda.

LMAO. He touts TCU's win over a 2-win team, but Wisconsin is the suspect one? OK.

Also, I wonder if he was outraged over the fact that Ohio State was No. 5. If not, then being outraged for moving up exactly ONE spot after eviscerating a ranked opponent in a conference championship game doesn't make much sense.

But that's just me.

edit: I know I've been beating this drum to death, but Ohio State has me on the payroll as an official Buckeye defense force member, and I got kids to feed! :)

Balphon

*reads the article*

LMAO. He touts TCU's win over a 2-win team, but Wisconsin is the suspect one? OK.

Also, I wonder if he was outraged over the fact that Ohio State was No. 5. If not, then being outraged for moving up exactly ONE spot after eviscerating a ranked opponent in a conference championship game doesn't make much sense.

But that's just me.

The Big 10 was essentially a nonentity nationally for most of the season. Wisconsin lost to Northwestern and its best win is over Nebraska. Iowa State blows, but beating an awful team by 50 points is exactly what a top 5 team is supposed to do.

Also, tOSU lost to 6-6 VT at home by 14. The same VT that lost to Wake 6-3 in double overtime two weeks ago. But that was week 2, so who cares, right?

TCU was the #3 team in the country, did exactly what the #3 was expected to do, and then was suddenly the #6 team. The reason for that is the national cachet of Ohio State. And that's just how it goes, but I'm not sure why you're acting so incredulous that some people are a little upset at that turn of events.

MIMIC

Banned
The Big 10 was essentially a nonentity nationally for most of the season. Wisconsin lost to Northwestern and its best win is over Nebraska. Iowa State blows, but beating an awful team by 50 points is exactly what a top 5 team is supposed to do.

Also, tOSU lost to 6-6 VT at home by 14. But that was week 2, so who cares, right?

Exactly (not sarcasm). Since when did a bad loss early in the season stop ANYONE from skyrocketing up the rankings? Trying to apply this mythical rule to Ohio State is unfair.

They say that if you're going to lose, do it early in the season (because everyone else is going to lose at one point or another). And that's exactly what happened.

TCU was the #3 team in the country, did exactly what the #3 was expected to do, and then was suddenly the #6 team. The reason for that is the national cachet of Ohio State. And that's just how it goes, but I'm not sure why you're acting so incredulous that some people are a little upset at that turn of events.

Errr....you know that teams usually leapfrog other teams after they beat ranked opponents right? And Ohio State 1) beat a ranked team 2) in a CC game 3) in a commanding fashion. That calls for some leapfroggin

Nobody batted an eye when they went No. 14 to No. 8 for doing much less.

People keep saying that Ohio State is being evaluated by one game and criticizing the committee for not following the entire season. And now I'm starting to wonder if those same people have even been following the rankings throughout the entire season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom