• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2015. Overwhelming.

tumblr_nnllikbJLD1qdmrf4o1_500.png

Messi

Just not feeling the best tbh. I get anxiety attacks and they have been frequent recently. It makes me distant sometimes.

Hagi

Just not feeling the best tbh. I get anxiety attacks and they have been frequent recently. It makes me distant sometimes.

That sucks I get occasional bouts of social anxiety so I can somewhat relate. Hopefully you get an upswing and feel better.

Zombine

Banned

I bet I know what could cheer you up. What if I promise not to buy any page you have your eye on for say...a month? I can't make any promises after that, but August is all yours.

I bet I know what could cheer you up. What if I promise not to buy any page you have your eye on for say...a month? I can't make any promises after that, but August is all yours.

Zombine promises not to be a dick for an entire month, ComicsGAF rendered speechless.

I kid, I kid.

Messi

About anything in particular or just a general feeling of uneasiness as if the other shoe is always about to drop?

Just life is hard and I don't feel good at it. I get attacks when I think about my life and the enormity of it all. I can't let go of mistakes of I made with people years ago. I hate social anxiety. It cripples me.

I am sorry. I will stop posting for a bit. I don't want to shit up the thread any more than I do.

Nothing against you guys at all but I have found out I enjoy the hobby of comics more once I quit worrying about the social aspect of it. I use to want to read my books real quick, come in here and talk about them and analyze them. Then I would want to check the thread all the time to see of people are talking about something I could contribute too. I use to be in the top 5 of posters in this thread for months. Then I would do the same with Twitter for news and reviews. The hobby of comics was exhausting without even reading my books. Now, I just read my comics at my pace.

Zombine

Banned
Nothing against you guys at all but I have found out I enjoy the hobby of comics more once I quit worrying about the social aspect of it. I use to want to read my books real quick, come in here and talk about them and analyze them. Then I would want to check the thread all the time to see of people are talking about something I could contribute too. I use to be in the top 5 of posters in this thread for months. Then I would do the same with Twitter for news and reviews. The hobby of comics was exhausting without even reading my books. Now, I just read my comics at my pace.

Basically this. I think it's best to just chill and not get wrapped up in the bullshit.

I've got books from this week I still haven't read. If I'm not in a mood to read comics, I don't read comics.

If you read comics just so you can be a top poster on a forum, you've got the wrong motivations for the hobby.

Zombine

Banned
I've got books from this week I still haven't read. If I'm not in a mood to read comics, I don't read comics.

If you read comics just so you can be a top poster on a forum, you've got the wrong motivations for the hobby.

The reason I read comics is basically for all of the check marks for club Nintendo surveys. I typically read them "to beat high scores" and "for the adventure" though.

Hagi

Just life is hard and I don't feel good at it. I get attacks when I think about my life and the enormity of it all. I can't let go of mistakes of I made with people years ago. I hate social anxiety. It cripples me.

I am sorry. I will stop posting for a bit. I don't want to shit up the thread any more than I do.

tumblr_nrtbkmQKYc1uasa0go1_500.gif

You do you my friend.

Messi

I give a shit! D:

I know the feel when you post some impressions and nobody seems to notice, but rest assured we're reading 'em.

I don't mind, I just take issue with a comment like that when I made an effort to fix the problem last month. I reviewed over 80% of the books I read last month.

reading/talking about comics hasn't been the #1 priority for top posters for a long time now tbh

Can only speak for myself, but that's not really true.

In the last month I posted more about comics than I ever have. It's not my fault people don't give a shit lol.

Dude I read like 90% of your posts. That I can't respond at a given time or I don't really have anything to add isn't indicative that I don't care about what you write. :/

Owzers

I'm upgrading to windows 10....downloading it now. If i don't make it through this i want you to all know that comics aren't that great.

I'm upgrading to windows 10....downloading it now. If i don't make it through this i want you to all know that comics aren't that great.

Something Happened.

something happened.

Anyway, I finished Batman Eternal and thoroughly enjoyed it, though like some have said it got a little rough towards the end with the constant "no, it was really X all along" twists, and I'm still not sure how exactly Hush figured into things; Cluemaster sent him the invitation, but he was running Cluemaster's crew?

And I think there was a tie-in missing or something, because they kind of transitioned directly from "Selina decides to be a crime boss" to "Selina is a crime boss."

Oh, and the art got pretty rough in places, which I'm assuming is mostly down to it being a weekly. The issue where Selina is interrogating Steph was pretty great, though.

But again, on the whole, very enjoyable. Highlights:

-Jason! I'm kind of a sucker for the character, I know, but I really enjoyed most of his stuff in this. The moments with Babs were particularly great, I think I might ship that now.

-Harper. Cool character, great chemistry with Tim. Curious to see where they go with her next.

-Waylon. The stuff where he's looking for Jade is fantastic. Between this and some other stuff I've read (the King Croc backup from Forever Evil and the cameo appearance in RHatO), I've gained a real appreciation for the character. Hope he's in Catwoman, 'cause I'm definitely picking that up next.

-Catwoman turning into a mob boss. I know that I said I was a little put off by the transition, 'cause I am, but on the whole it's a great direction for a character who kind of felt like she was spinning her wheels. DC's done a great job of fleshing out some of their more one-note characters lately, and Selina is definitely no exception.

All in all, a solid 8/10, would read again and will be reading Batman and Robin Eternal.

Planetary/Batman: Amazing issue. I honestly didn't know what to expect, but I went in and actually ended up laughing a whole lot. The only part I didn't like is why they had Jakita go toe-to-toe with Batman. She's Superman tier, she ain't got no business fighting some normal dude with a couple of Bat-swords using lead pipers. Anywho, minor grip aside, excellent issue.

Damn, I wish I could mindwipe and reread Planetary.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Omg.

Just read the first issue of Ellis/Shalvey's Moon Knight.

I now realize what all that hype was about. Just brilliant. Both the writing and art are top notch. So excited to read the next 5 issues.

Honestly, overpriced as their releases are, the IDW OHCs are the best of any company imo.

Omg.

Just read the first issue of Ellis/Shalvey's Moon Knight.

I now realize what all that hype was about. Just brilliant. Both the writing and art are top notch. So excited to read the next 5 issues.

Shit that's on my shelf. Gotta read that.

tim1138

Nolan's Knightfall stuff overall isn't quite up to par with Aparo and Breyfogle, but he and Adrienne Roy absolutely crushed the Firefly fights. The line work and coloring are fantastic. He really did a great job with Bats body language and showing a man who is on the verge of collapse and soon to be broken. I'm super glad I picked up the digital versions of Knightfall when CMX had it on sale awhile back. So much easier reading it this way than fighting with those giant new edition tpb's.

Messi

Something Happened.

something happened.

Anyway, I finished Batman Eternal and thoroughly enjoyed it, though like some have said it got a little rough towards the end with the constant "no, it was really X all along" twists, and I'm still not sure how exactly Hush figured into things; Cluemaster sent him the invitation, but he was running Cluemaster's crew?

And I think there was a tie-in missing or something, because they kind of transitioned directly from "Selina decides to be a crime boss" to "Selina is a crime boss."

Oh, and the art got pretty rough in places, which I'm assuming is mostly down to it being a weekly. The issue where Selina is interrogating Steph was pretty great, though.

But again, on the whole, very enjoyable. Highlights:

-Jason! I'm kind of a sucker for the character, I know, but I really enjoyed most of his stuff in this. The moments with Babs were particularly great, I think I might ship that now.

-Harper. Cool character, great chemistry with Tim. Curious to see where they go with her next.

-Waylon. The stuff where he's looking for Jade is fantastic. Between this and some other stuff I've read (the King Croc backup from Forever Evil and the cameo appearance in RHatO), I've gained a real appreciation for the character. Hope he's in Catwoman, 'cause I'm definitely picking that up next.

-Catwoman turning into a mob boss. I know that I said I was a little put off by the transition, 'cause I am, but on the whole it's a great direction for a character who kind of felt like she was spinning her wheels. DC's done a great job of fleshing out some of their more one-note characters lately, and Selina is definitely no exception.

All in all, a solid 8/10, would read again and will be reading Batman and Robin Eternal.

The reason the Selina thing is not explained is because nocenti was trash at writing the solo book and didn't write anything to ease that transition. She was too busy writing about Selina racing a bunch of thieves for money or some shit. If you haven't you should read Catwoman Vol 6 by valentine. It's the first of the new writers Catwoman run where Selina is a new mob boss. It's kind of amazing.

Harper is going to be in Batman and Robin Eternal

The reason the Selina thing is not explained is because nocenti was trash at writing the solo book and didn't write anything to ease that transition. She was too busy writing about Selina racing a bunch of thieves for money or some shit. If you haven't you should read Catwoman Vol 6 by valentine. It's the first of the new writers Catwoman run where Selina is a new mob boss. It's kind of amazing.

Definitely on my "to do" list. Getting paid tomorrow-ish, will probably pick it up then, along with some Quantum and Woody + whatever I missed this week.

Messi

Definitely on my "to do" list. Getting paid tomorrow-ish, will probably pick it up then, along with some Quantum and Woody + whatever I missed this week.

If you have read Nocenti's Catwoman then Valentines Catwoman is the total opposite tonally. I am amazed that it was her first comic book.

If you have read Nocenti's Catwoman then Valentines Catwoman is the total opposite tonally. I am amazed that it was her first comic book.

I've never had the pleasure, lol.

I did see a volume in Half Priced Books the other day and I almost bought it out of sheer morbid curiosity.

Q&W fuck yeah

I've never read any Catwoman, so asking for a comparison would be a dumb idea, but is it really that great?

Hagi

I've never read any Catwoman, so asking for a comparison would be a dumb idea, but is it really that great?

It's no Brubaker but it's certainly a good book and an interesting direction to take Selina. I'll leave the Nocenti talk to Messi because i bowed out with Winnicks mediocre start.

Do you know if there are any particularly good collected editions of romance stories from the way-back that are worth picking up? I know IST has a bunch, but I wouldn't know what was good.

Also, keep an eye out for this in October.

Hmm you know, John Romita Sr did a lot of romance comics before he did Spider-Man. Otherwise, no I dont really know of any that are worth checking out from the top off my head. I'm gonna have to ask around.

Always attributed that to the readers and writers having wildly varying degrees of experience and expectation towards what constitutes a good romance tale.

Whereas with action pretty much 99.9% of the audience has only experienced that via vydyagaemz or sportz so what you tend to get is nearly always some variation of blitzkrieg or overcoming hardship through great effort/cost.
Yeah, there is definitely a great difference of expectations of what a good romance story is from person to person in audience more than in action.

Like personally, Im not interested in like at least 95% of romance stories due to the types of stories those are.

They either seem to operate within tropes I dont like or the romance is really just a vehicle for a Very Important Life Lesson (tm) that the protagonist learns. Im not sure what kind of romance story I could do that I would be satisfied with. Its a pretty difficult one since I dont have much of what I would like to see laid out before me in works that I like.
:shrug

Messi

I've never had the pleasure, lol.

I did see a volume in Half Priced Books the other day and I almost bought it out of sheer morbid curiosity.

Lemme tell you that you shouldn't buy that. But if you must the underground arc is pure stupidity and so is the race of thieves. If you must see what I mean try those. But don't.

Q&W fuck yeah

I really love it. I am sure some of my love is due to it being a good story after the nocenti stuff. But I feel it is legitimately good. Valentine will also be writing some of Batman and Robin Eternal so I think that means the Catwoman book will stay on track and tie in well.

It's no Brubaker but it's certainly a good book and an interesting direction to take Selina. I'll leave the Nocenti talk to Messi because i bowed out with Winnicks mediocre start.

Dodged a bullet there m8

Yeah, Brubaker is such a high watermark. Easily the best Catwoman storys imo.

I really love it. I am sure some of my love is due to it being a good story after the nocenti stuff. But I feel it is legitimately good. Valentine will also be writing some of Batman and Robin Eternal so I think that means the Catwoman book will stay on track and tie in well.

I think I'll start with Brubaker's run and move on to Valentine's if I did it. Honestly, I've never liked the character that much, but I'm supposing the right story could change that.

Hagi

Dodged a bullet there m8

Yeah, Brubaker is such a high watermark. Easily the best Catwoman storys imo.

Guillem March couldn't keep me through Winnicks schlock so I doubt I would have lasted an issue with her writing.

Yeah it's her character defining run. I need to get round to reading When In Rome sometime I really enjoyed her in Dark Victory.

Top Bottom