• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Community College Strike in Ontario OVER

Status
Not open for further replies.

rs7k

I don't know if this affected anybody else here on GAF, but I'm going back to school Wednesday after a three-week strike that probably fucked up my semester completely.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1143240611425&call_pageid=968332188492&col=968793972154&t=TS_Home

We're gonna have to condense 6 weeks of assignments, tests, and exams in half the time, and I'm taking the hardest program at my college. Combine that with me working 30 hours a week part-time, and it's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm gonna try and maintain my GPA to get the hell out of college and go to university, but even that's gonna be hard because the shit we've done already will be weighted as a higher percentage, so the tests I've failed will put a damper on my grades.

rs7k

Doom_Bringer said:
Yeah this seriously screws me up as well. This week is going to suck! :( I hope they extend the semester beyond April.

Looking at my schedule, I've only got 2 weeks left of class. It doesn't help I condensed all my classes on Monday and Tuesday, and our college resumes classes on Wednesday.

There's probably no way to drop out and get a refund either, I should have looked at my options earlier, but it's probably too late now.

Let's say I fail this semester in case they make the midterms worth more than they should be, my GPA would probably fall below 3.0, and then I wouldn't be able to transfer to university right? It's my first year of college, and only my first semester was worth anything.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
wtf? Don't they give you some kind of refund or extension or compensate you in some way when their teachers refuse to teach and cancel class for a significant amount of time? That's fuckin bullshit.

rs7k said:
Looking at my schedule, I've only got 2 weeks left of class. It doesn't help I condensed all my classes on Monday and Tuesday, and our college resumes classes on Wednesday.

There's probably no way to drop out and get a refund either, I should have looked at my options earlier, but it's probably too late now.

Let's say I fail this semester in case they make the midterms worth more than they should be, my GPA would probably fall below 3.0, and then I wouldn't be able to transfer to university right? It's my first year of college, and only my first semester was worth anything.

Two weeks? Wow! My program goes until April 28!! And yes, you are correct! There is no way to drop out or refund now, its too late.

Don't give up man! Just do it! Finishing the semester should be your first priority. @#$@ work and other bull shit!

I don't know much about the GPA stuff but my current GPA is 74.8 (good standing) and this is my final year. I am going to pull it to 78 so that I can go to York University and continue my studies there. But two things are stopping me from that! First I haven't gone to the Canadian Securities 2 class since March 2!!!! Cause the teacher went on strike two weeks early! @%@%#^ and I need one more class after I finish this semester and I hope it will be offered during the spring semester.

TheQueen'sOwn

insert blank space here
That really sucks for you guys. I have a few friends at Algonquin College and I can't imagine how tough it will be having all that material condensed into such a short period of time.

I on the other hand, have only 1 week left of school :D.

SoVos20

Banned
WTF your school system ends in April. Lucky bastards in Canada (well not this year though with the strike I guess). Here in California my school ends in June 18.

rs7k

Doom_Bringer said:
Two weeks? Wow! My program goes until April 28!! And yes, you are correct! There is no way to drop out or refund now, its too late.

Was your program supposed to finish on 4/28, or was it extended? I am taking a program with a 14-wk semester instead of 16, and my exams are supposed to start on 4/17. I'm still not clear if they will extend the semester, because that would definitely help. They haven't really released any information about the subject, and the whole thing pisses me off. I wish I went to university.

stormer

they'll probably cut course material down a lot.. I mean they have to realize they can't expect to each everything.

rs7k said:
Was your program supposed to finish on 4/28, or was it extended? I am taking a program with a 14-wk semester instead of 16, and my exams are supposed to start on 4/17. I'm still not clear if they will extend the semester, because that would definitely help. They haven't really released any information about the subject, and the whole thing pisses me off. I wish I went to university.

All my previous winter semesters have ended on April 28. They will release scheduling information tomorrow I believe.

I REALLY REALLY HOPE THEY EXTEND THE FRIGGIN SEMESTER!!!!! DO ITTTTTT!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom