• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Computer help please !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive had this comp conmfiguration for about 6 months with no problems at all. I left my computer on all night and day running a "buffbot" program for the game Asheron's Call. I have done this several times and for much longer periods before. When I got home from work the game had crashed along with Mirc and the desktop had turned from a windows Xp theme background to a classic windows theme.

I changed it back to the win Xp theme and started surfing the net thinking my girlfriend was messing around on my comp. Shortly after I recieve a "your computer is out of virtual memory" and then it crashed and rebooted.

I was advised that I needed to change the virtual memory in my system from custom to system managed. Ho wit ever got on custom I have no clue. So I changed it and ran a virus check (AVG) for the heck of it, It locked up with an "this computer has recovered from a serious error message"

Now everytime I reboot it runs scandisk and says it has to truncate 2 errors, Ill write them later cuz I'm at work. Also, 80pct of the time when it gets to windows login it crashes and reboots. I tried running several programs but was unsuccessful due to error messages that I'll write down when I get home.

Any ideas guys/gals thank you !!

Asus e-deluxe mobo
AMD Athlon 3200 Barton
Radeon 9600xt
512 3200 ram
win Xp

Cerebral Palsy said:
If it is virtual memory... You need to free up space on the hard drive windows is using for virtual memory.

Can you explain where I would do that ? Or where on the HD windows uses the space, Im not very familiar with Virtual Memory.

Thank you !

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Start
Control Panel
System
Advanced
Performance Settings
Advanced
Virtual Memory -> Change

Virtual Memory is when your HDD is used as RAM when you run out of RAM for memory. Avoid using it a lot of you can because it decreases system performance tremedously.

-Fightnfire- said:
Can you explain where I would do that ? Or where on the HD windows uses the space, Im not very familiar with Virtual Memory.

Thank you !

clear some space on the drive windows is installed on. It is probably practically full, right?

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
He said that last time he checked, he had almost 80% free space on that drive (30gb drive). It definately sounds like a memory problem to me.

The fact that this happened after leaving his "bot" running all day long pretty much confirms it for me. How it caused the probs I'm not sure...but we'll see.

My HD is a 30gig And I only have 2 or 3 games installed. I'm one of those neat freaks that constantly cleans and keeps up his computer. If theres a game I havent played in a month or so Ill take it off. Like pockets said as of a week or two ago I had about 80pct free. None the less I'll check it all out after work, Its possible a program has a "leak" and has been using up and storing memory Until the its gets so big it can cause problems.

Any other ideas ?

Thanks

Tekky

See if you can boot a Knoppix CD and run Linux in order to test
if the hardware is acting up or not. Check for overheating.

Only when you're sure the hardware is okay should you start
checking out the software.

If you have an old hard drive, you can try installing Windoze on that and
see how it works (do a clean install).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom