• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Computer problem, I could really use some help or advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ill Saint

One of my computers was turned off at the power point this morning. When I booted it back up, I noticed the display was all messed up, vertical stripes, green/purple dots everywhere, flashing colours etc. I ruled this out being the monitor (The monitors settings menu displays fine) and assume something happened to the graphics card.

Anyway, the computer hangs right at the end of the load screen in Win2k. I tried the Win2k CD repair process a few times. No go. Re-installed the OS, still no go. Re-formatted the partition just now, and it still hangs at the end of the load screen.

Oh, I am able to boot into safe mode, but aside from rescuing some important files, I'm not sure what, if anything, I can do to fix things.

I'd greatly appreciate any help with this.

nubbe

Maybe the fan on you graphics card died and it got overheated?

Or it might just have served it’s time

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
Do you have multiple sticks of memory? Ifso, try taking one out and starting up. Then, if that doesn't work, try it with the other one.

A few months back my computer had what sounds like a similar problem(it would either freeze or reset when it tried to load XP, and reinstalling didn't help at all). The solution was to flash my motherboard's BIOS. Couldn't hurt to try it.

Ill Saint

Hmm, I tried the ram thing. It beeped 3 times, but nothing came on screen. Funnily enough, though, when I put the ram back, the image problem was cleared up, so thanks for that!

Flash the mobo, eh? Nothing to lose I guess. Cheers.

Tekky

Ill Saint said:
Hmm, I tried the ram thing. It beeped 3 times, but nothing came on screen. Funnily enough, though, when I put the ram back, the image problem was cleared up, so thanks for that!

Flash the mobo, eh? Nothing to lose I guess. Cheers.

You weren't supposed to take out ALL the ram.

If it beeped when one piece was still in, then that piece may be suspect.

Deg

Banned
Ill Saint said:
One of my computers was turned off at the power point this morning. When I booted it back up, I noticed the display was all messed up, vertical stripes, green/purple dots everywhere, flashing colours etc. I ruled this out being the monitor (The monitors settings menu displays fine) and assume something happened to the graphics card.

Anyway, the computer hangs right at the end of the load screen in Win2k. I tried the Win2k CD repair process a few times. No go. Re-installed the OS, still no go. Re-formatted the partition just now, and it still hangs at the end of the load screen.

Oh, I am able to boot into safe mode, but aside from rescuing some important files, I'm not sure what, if anything, I can do to fix things.

I'd greatly appreciate any help with this.

I had a similar with xp not starting. Nothing worked not even the recovery console or antyhing else. I did a clean installation.

shoplifter

emot-onlyoption.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom