• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Computer riddled with spyware! Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've tried ad-aware and spybot:search and destroy and I still have pop ups and spyware. Anyone know any last ditch plans I can take to get rid of it short of reformatting?

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
header.png

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
ballhog said:
Firefox is buggy as hell, on mac anyway.

yeah i heard the same thing. but who still uses macs nowadays? ;)

DJ_Tet

Banned
Either I was way too drunk or someone else did it, but some sort of search bar appeared at the bottom of my screen one day. I've gotten rid of it, but I'm still getting pop-ups occasionally.

My system is clean via cwshredder and ad-aware.

Anything else I can try?

On a semi-related note, there seems to be some files off kazaa that places some sort of "buffer" screen over all my Microsoft Office files when I open them. This buffer covers all my windows media files as well.

When I try to open a file, a screen pops up like a new version of MS Office or WMP has been installed. The clip/document won't open at all, the program just "pretends" to try and open.

After this happens, I run ad-aware and it finds and cleans up a new batch of spyware and MS Office/WMP goes back to normal. Is this sort of file corruption new? It's been awhile since I had kazaa, so my "movies" were a little out of date. If I can expect to continue to run into this problem however, I suppose I can move on to a newer program.

LakeEarth

I know 99% of you already know this, but make sure you update your virus definitions. I was stupid and didn't for like months, and I literally missed hundreds of harmful spyware until I figured out that little problem. I always thought the "update" button was to purchase the updated version of the program or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom