• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord real open beta is live

Hero_Select

So if Suicide Squad would last 6 months, and Concord honestly seems a better game than SS, how long do we think this will live ?

I say they keep making changes in the game, make it f2p in 3 months, and it lives with a small dedicated crowd.
Live service games live and die by player numbers. A small crowd won't be enough to sustain continued development because it won't be worth it.

T0minator

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills because I'm having a blast with this. I'm finding the combat incredibly satisfying. I see this game as a failure of marketing rather than execution and unfortunately people have made up their minds. Find a character you like and stick with it is my advice.

Concord is really well made and it's fun to play.

The majority of people hating the game and wanting it to fail are people that have never played it.

Killjoy-NL

The majority of people hating the game and wanting it to fail are people that have never played it.
That's the entire problem though, getting people to play the game.

No idea what they're going to do, but they definitely need to at least move away from the Woke agenda, starting by changing the title screen that's a giant rainbow.

hououinkyouma00

Gold Member

I played it for a few hours to give it an honest chance and I liked it less and less with every match I played. It looks nice, and I don't actually hate the Guardians rip off aesthetic but the game is just not good IMO. I even convinced a couple of people to try it and they also did not like it.

It's okay that you like the game. There are definitely people that hate it without playing it but I think a lot more people just don't enjoy the generic hero shooter that Concord actually is.

schaft0620

I think people overuse the term sticky when talking about games but oh boy Concord is the perfect example. The combat is great, the character models are very high quality, the audio design is that of a AAA SIE game, who is far and away the best in the industry.

I'm just not compelled in any way to play more than 4 or 5 hours.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I dont know if this failure is an indication of gaming being in a weird/bad place. Flintlock seems to have bombed also.

There's an obvious disparity between what studios think people want and what they actually want.
The finance department wants a live service game with recurring revenue

The marketing department wants garish streamer-friendly crap

The DEI department wants gender pronouns, tokenism, and ugly characters with zero sex appeal

It’s like they made this game to appeal to everyone except gamers.

BlackTron

Nah, I'm not on the pendulum.

I'm in the middle looking at how retarded both sides are.
It all came down to "omfg not enough white guys".
Anti-Woke really is just the same thing, just crying about the opposite.

Just dropping by to say I love you. How's the weather up high on the middle of that pendulum, with no opinion, feeling better than and above everyone down here with lowly dumbasses like me?

No idea what they're going to do, but they definitely need to at least move away from the Woke agenda, starting by changing the title screen that's a giant rainbow.

Wait, wait I know -you're not delivering your opinion on what would help this game, just delivering an objective fact that would help, which is completely different and absolves you from any place on a pendulum with us LOSERS! It almost appears like you might be getting close to the realization that the problem isn't "not enough white guys", that has just become an easy sign of a woke game full of shit no one wants shoved down their throats, MAYBE EVEN you included. Rainbow title screen and all.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I blocked Killjoy-NL a couple weeks ago when it became obvious he’s not arguing in good faith and is just here to troll, gaslight, and deflect.

FFS stop giving this dipshit your attention. Block him and stop engaging.

Last edited:
Another thing thay struck me was how happy all the characters are to be there. Hey guys we're going into battle to face the possibility of being killed but isn't it a jolly old time.

Wheres the antagonist in all of this?

The thing about that is, as well made as it is, even though I’m liking it more than I had expected, I can’t help but wish all this solid construction would have gone into building something more overall appealing. And since it’s GAAS, it has to hit some form of solid player base to be worthwhile, and it’s not looking great.

This is a really competent team they have, if this flops I hope they get a chance to develop another game. Warhawk?

clarky

Gold Member
Another thing thay struck me was how happy all the characters are to be there. Hey guys we're going into battle to face the possibility of being killed but isn't it a jolly old time.

Wheres the antagonist in all of this?
Its a MP arena team shooter, why would the be a need for an antagonist? I know there's supposed to be a story, but since when has that ever worked in a MP game like this?

Its a MP arena team shooter, why would the be a need for an antagonist? I know there's supposed to be a story, but since when has that ever worked in a MP game like this?
Even in Overwatch there's characters that are on the other side of the coin.

Same in Paladins.

BlackTron

I blocked Killjoy-NL a couple weeks ago when it became obvious he’s not arguing in good faith and is just here to troll, gaslight, and deflect.

FFS stop giving this dipshit your attention. Block him and stop engaging.

He was very close to being the first user I ever blocked recently, I decided to just consciously ignore his posts. But for him to opine that maybe the game needs a little less wokeness after acting so above the whole discourse one way or another, fuck it. It's on a silver platter to quote that shit together. If he actually likes this kind of attention then I concede I made a mistake, but it's not the read I'm getting. If he liked being embarrassed he wouldn't have edited posts when I confronted him last time, except this time he's already quoted for posterity so tough shit even if this is our last interaction lol.

clarky

Gold Member
They're trying to tell a story. The point I'm making is, why am I supposed to care about these characters or universe if there's no antagonist.
I get you, but in a multiplayer only game, what's the point? They always try and give some shitty backstories or whatever to characters but at the end of the day it boils down to how cool they look and what special moves/weapons they have.

Nobody gives a shit if Chun Li is on her period this week, just that she does a mean spinning bird kick.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Just dropping by to say I love you. How's the weather up high on the middle of that pendulum, with no opinion, feeling better than and above everyone down here with lowly dumbasses like me?
I have opinions alright, I just don't take it to the extremes, like two certain sides love to do.

But people like you are probably too dumb to realize there's a whole spectrum in between, so you automatically place others in either camp.
Wait, wait I know -you're not delivering your opinion on what would help this game, just delivering an objective fact that would help, which is completely different and absolves you from any place on a pendulum with us LOSERS! It almost appears like you might be getting close to the realization that the problem isn't "not enough white guys", that has just become an easy sign of a woke game full of shit no one wants shoved down their throats, MAYBE EVEN you included. Rainbow title screen and all.
I have said more than enough already, but ultimately it's not my problem. So why should I make suggestions, when it's not my product to sell and it doesn't really matter to me if the game succeeds or fails?

Bolded is even a clear sign that you haven't been listening to what I've been saying at all, since you were too focused on the hate-bandwagon.

Last edited:
Apex Legends upped the ante on storytelling for mp games, but then Respawn already had the basic lore and world building work done with Titanfall. And the reason for playing was clear as day even if you ignored all the story bits.

Here, they have built an entire USP on the story stuff, so it’s up to the dev to communicate it.

FWIW, regarding woke. I still remember the reactions when Apex Legends launched with a white male character who wielded toxic powers. Oh, and that Bloodhound was non-binary. Beautiful high-level trolling from Respawn there.

Edit: error

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
He was very close to being the first user I ever blocked recently, I decided to just consciously ignore his posts. But for him to opine that maybe the game needs a little less wokeness after acting so above the whole discourse one way or another, fuck it. It's on a silver platter to quote that shit together. If he actually likes this kind of attention then I concede I made a mistake, but it's not the read I'm getting. If he liked being embarrassed he wouldn't have edited posts when I confronted him last time, except this time he's already quoted for posterity so tough shit even if this is our last interaction lol.
From what I saw before I blocked him, he would just ignore every single point the other person made without addressing them (probably didn’t read past the first sentence), dismiss it out of hand, and move the goalposts.

Forget it man, not worth it. There’s just a tiny number of attention seeking assholes on this forum, put them on your ignore list and your GAF experience will be significantly more pleasant.

And nothing hurts these twats more than being ignored.

Killjoy-NL

Dude, I've always said the game is Woke af.

Also, I never backtracked on anything, because I stand behind everything I've said.
So no idea what you were talking about with the "edits". Still waiting on you to show me what it supposedly was.

Last edited:

BlackTron

I have opinions alright, I just don't take it to the extremes, like two certain sides love to do.

But people like you are probably too dumb to realize there's a whole spectrum in between, so you automatically place others in either camp.
Dude, I've always said the game is Woke af.

Right, because when we read:
Nah, I'm not on the pendulum.

I'm in the middle looking at how retarded both sides are.

What that actually means is that you do have an opinion, are on the pendulum, are not in the middle, but the reason we can't tell is being too dumb.

Yeah I'm gonna take DonkeyPunchJr's advice and finally invoke the ignore function of the site, have a nice day. Reply away I won't see shit 🤡

Killjoy-NL

Right, because when we read:

What that actually means is that you do have an opinion, are on the pendulum, are not in the middle, but the reason we can't tell is being too dumb.

Yeah I'm gonna take DonkeyPunchJr's advice and finally invoke the ignore function of the site, have a nice day. Reply away I won't see shit 🤡
What it means, is that you are a retard.

But block away, you're doing me a favor as well.🙃

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
  • 1,038 users right now
  • 1,666 24-hour peak
  • 2,388 all-time peak 2 days ago
Sony right now:
OyzX2HL.gif

Nydius

I think you forgot to include the required “#ad #sponsored” on your post.

We’ve played it. I spent all of last weekend jumping in and about 3 hours this weekend trying out the new mode. The game is a derivative mess and there’s no reason to choose it over superior F2P hero shooters.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Doing almost half the numbers of hellblade 2 on a free to play weekend has to be a timeline none of us could have imagined.

Some delicious crow for Sony on chasing gaas and it's fanboys that mocked that games player numbers on steam.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
When I looked a bit ago it was behind a VR game called Gorilla Tag, more people would rather play that

hOI08TP.jpeg

Here’s where it is in the rankings (Half Life 1 is 624…. There are literally more gamers playing a single player game from 26 years ago than this hero shooter on its debut weekend)

BTW read this article about Hyenas but swap the names and it sounds eerily prescient:

clarky

Gold Member
Doing almost half the numbers of hellblade 2 on a free to play weekend has to be a timeline none of us could have imagined.

Some delicious crow for Sony on chasing gaas and it's fanboys that mocked that games player numbers on steam.
I'm not sure what Hellblade 2 has to do with this game? They are not comparable in any way.

You sound like someone who lost £10 but happy because someone else did as well.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
hOI08TP.jpeg

Here’s where it is in the rankings (Half Life 1 is 624…. There are literally more gamers playing a single player game from 26 years ago than this hero shooter on its debut weekend)

BTW read this article about Hyenas but swap the names and it sounds eerily prescient:
And Hyenas numbers

6ClUpUp.png

clarky

Gold Member
Just comparing numbers to a game that got cancelled after its beta performance and no had no interest in it either
I see, couldn't figure out why you brought up such a random game. Did that actually get cancelled after the Beta? No Launch at all?

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Whats with Hyena's fella? did it steal you lunch or something?
It was a live service game that had “design by committee” written all over it, did abysmal Concord-like numbers during its beta, then got canceled before they even released it. Do you see any parallels here?

Top Bottom