• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Considering buying a laptop, needs some quick pointers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saturnman

Banned
I have limited experience with them but one could be useful to me these days.

I'm not planning to play PC games and would only surf the Web sparringly with it. But I do plan on using it for drawing, playing movies and perhaps some limited emulation games.

What I was wondering about concerns the pre-installed operating systems first and foremost. I know some older laptops used Windows CE for example, sort of a barebone version of Windows 95/98. But do modern laptops still use something similar? It doesn't seem so from my initial research suggesting I could reuse many of the programs I use on my current computer running on Windows XP.

Whatever the case, are laptops generally stable? Is there any way to repair or reinstall the operating system should a major problem arise? Are they accessory-friendly, like for trackballs, tablets, DVD burners or anything else that comes with new drivers and software?

On a sidenote, do specs work differently on certain respects with laptops? I'm especially interested with the issue of RAM.

seanoff

mate, they're just small pcs.

if u want to connect stuff just get one with the connections u want, ie USB2, Firewire etc. U can get hubs for those things.

Re-installing the OS is the same no matter what the PC big or small.

Most of them use XP, the only things that use a different OS is the handhelds

Software works the same no matter what size the PC.

Saturnman

Banned
Well, concerning the specs, I'm used to building a PC with different parts. There are often niggles and slight incompatibility issues that arise and can not always be solved completely. I'm assuming laptops work a little better out of the box (as long as you don't add anything to it). Am I right?

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Someone might want to explain the CPU market. I'm not familiar with it myself. I just know don't look at clockspeed alone.

But for what you're wanting do to, it should be easy and cheap.

Matlock

Banned
Not to knock the powerbook, but $1600 is a bit too much for the stuff that's in that crate.

12.1-inch TFT Display
1024x768 resolution
1.33GHz PowerPC G4
512K L2 cache
256MB DDR333 SDRAM
60GB Ultra ATA/100
NVIDIA GeForce FX
Go5200 (64MB DDR)
Full size keyboard
10/100BASE-T Ethernet
FireWire 400
AirPort Extreme built-in
Mini-DVI out

I mean, what the heck.

Plus it's possible that his WinXP apps won't work on a Mac OS.

Saturnman

Banned
As long as the hard drive is at 40GB, I'm ok with it.

CPU power is not that important, but I don't want the computer to choke on some WMP9/Xvid/DiVX movies (I'm not running movies at ridiculous high res).

I do care about RAM very much. I can live with something with 256MB out of the box, but I got to be able to expand that easily.

Of course the cheaper, the better. As long as it doesn't affect quality too much. :)

seanoff

i just went to dell usa and configured a laptop with the following spec. for $1,572
a Mobile P 2.8, XP home, 1GB RAM (enuf???) 40gb hDD u can read the rest

Base Mobile Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with HT, 2.80GHz,15-inch XGA AHT28LN [221-6323] 1

Operating System Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition WHXP [420-3235][313-1909][412-0408][313-2208][412-0689] 11

Memory 1GB DDR SDRAM 2 Dimms 1GB2D [311-2961] 3

Video Card 32MB DDR NVIDIA® GeForce™ FX Go5200 AGP 4x Graphics NV32MB [320-1226] 6

Hard Drive 40GB Hard Drive 40GB [340-8957] 8

Network Adapters Integrated Network Card INTNIC [430-0530] 13

Modem Internal 56K Modem 56MPC [313-1917] 14

CD ROM/DVD ROM FREE 24X CD-RW/DVD Combo Drive Upgrade! (from DVD) 24COMBP [462-5322][430-1050] 16

Wireless Networking Cards FREE Dell® Wireless 1350 Internal Wireless (802.11b/g, 54Mbps) TM135IP [462-9584] 19

Productivity Software Productivity Pack including WordPerfect® ICORELM [412-0556][412-0714] 22

Security Software Norton Internet Security™, 90 day trial NIS2004 [412-0628] 25

Digital Music Dell Jukebox powered by MUSICMATCH MMBASE [412-0691] 26

Primary Battery 65 WHr 8-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery 8BAT [310-5241] 27

Limited Warranty, Services and Support Options 2 Year Limited Warranty plus 2 Year At-Home Service S2OS [950-7830][950-7831][950-3338][412-0360] 29

Dial-Up Internet Access 6 Months America Online Internet Access Included AOLDHS [412-0585][412-0625][420-3224] 37

Digital Imaging or Digital Photography Paint Shop™ Pro® Trial plus Photo Album™ Starter Edition DPS [412-0521] 38

Personal Finance Software Microsoft® Money 2004 Standard MNY [412-0552] 83

Dell Media Experience Dell Media Experience™ DMX [412-0706] 115
ACCESSORIES
Kensington Saddlebag Pro Qty 1
Unit Price $55.00
FREE Dell 720 Color Printer with 1 Yr Advanced Exchange Service Qty 1
Unit Price $0.00
TOTAL: $1,572.00

I have a 12" Powerbook and it rocks. Light, good battery life, superdrive, airport card, and OSX. Soooooo nice. My next laptop will be a G5 Powerbook if they ever get released.

Tekky

The main thing you need to figure out about a laptop is how you plan to use it in regards to portability.

If you plan on carrying it around a lot, then obviously you don't want something big and heavy. Weights can vary from 3 pounds to 5 pounds to 8 pounds or more. It makes a big difference.

If you plan on running on battery power a lot, you need a Pentium M laptop. It's the only good choice for long battery life.

If you plan on mostly having it stay in one place all the time (and plugged in), then you're not really limited by size or battery life.

In regards to RAM, you should investigate the maximum capacity of any model you're looking at. You should probably make sure that anything you get can be expanded to at least 1GB, assuming you want to keep using it for a while.

I want all you about to buy a laptop sons of bitches to listen up and listen good.

C3500note.gif

http://www.averatec.com/notebooks/C3500.htm

This mofo launches to your local Staples and Costco starting this weekend.

Starting at 1350 muthafucking dollars.

Unlesss you've already developed taste for Steve Jobs' cock, or you need to attend every damn LAN party in your tri-state area with the uber gaming laptop, I want all of you bitches to check this mutha out first.

Tablet PC is the future!

That is all.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
Get the new VAIO S150 laptop. It has an excellent screen (loads better than the 12" PBook), the 1.6GHz Pentium M w/ 2MB L2 cache, and is relatively lightweight (at 4.2lbs, lighter than the Apple). It's form factor is arguably the best compromise between size and usability, as it is small enough to not be a burden without conceding the comfort of the screen and keyboard.

image51.jpg

sony1.jpg

sony2.jpg

Yeah, but this is Saturnman we're talking about. He will not be able to resist the idea of drawing on the screen of his new laptop. I got his ass on this one! And the Averatec is like $650 cheaper than the Sony!

Seth C

I've been looking at the Averatec line myself. That "convertible" one would be lovely. Now if only I could get a deal on one in about two weeks....

Seth C said:
Actually, I would also like to know what sort of video card this laptop has.

It's just a built in. SiS M741 chipset. Don't expect any decent 3D. It's a hardware DX7 chip:

- 2 pixel rendering pipelines and 4 texture units per cycle (2P4T).
- Advanced Hardware Acceleration for DVD playback.
- Share Memory Size 32MB and 64MB

Think something akin to GeForce2 Go 100.

Seth C

Shogmaster said:
It's just a built in. SiS M741 chipset. Don't expect any decent 3D. It's a hardware DX7 chip:

- 2 pixel rendering pipelines and 4 texture units per cycle (2P4T).
- Advanced Hardware Acceleration for DVD playback.
- Share Memory Size 32MB and 64MB

Think something akin to GeForce2 Go 100.

Is that better or worse than the S3 Unichrome the $900 model is equipped with? Just trying to get an idea. I'm not needing a ton of 3D performance (or expecting it). Hell, I still use a first generation Radeon on my home PC. Is it better than that?

Seth C said:
Is that better or worse than the S3 Unichrome the $900 model is equipped with? Just trying to get an idea. I'm not needing a ton of 3D performance (or expecting it). Hell, I still use a first generation Radeon on my home PC. Is it better than that?

S3 Unichrome, M741, Ist gen Radeon, they are all about the same: Low end Direct X7 chips.

Seth C

Shogmaster said:
S3 Unichrome, M741, Ist gen Radeon, they are all about the same: Low end Direct X7 chips.

All I needed to know. Now I just need to see this bad boy at Best Buy for $1300 or less and it's mine.

Seth C said:
All I needed to know. Now I just need to see this bad boy at Best Buy for $1300 or less and it's mine.

If you have a Costco near you, take advantage of their 6 month total refund "rental" policy instead. just in case it sucks. ;)

Seth C

Shogmaster said:
If you have a Costco near you, take advantage of their 6 month total refund "rental" policy instead. ;)

No CostCo anywhere nearby. Plus, I need to take advantage of the Best Buy "6 months no interest" policy. :)

Seth C said:
No CostCo anywhere nearby. Plus, I need to take advantage of the Best Buy "6 months no interest" policy. :)

In that case, wait for a 18 months no interest sale. Should be coming up soon. At least wait for a 12 months one.

Seth C

Shogmaster said:
In that case, wait for a 18 months no interest sale. Should be coming up soon. At least wait for a 12 months one.

Oh, I can pay it off in 6 months, no problem. It's just that I will only have $600 or so to put toward it immediately. So it's either Best Buy or wait 2-3 months.

Seth C said:
Oh, I can pay it off in 6 months, no problem. It's just that I will only have $600 or so to put toward it immediately. So it's either Best Buy or wait 2-3 months.

OK then you are set to go! Just make sure you visit tabletpcbuzz.com forums for a good TPC primer. Cool thing is that I think One note comes with the Averatec. Really cool program. TPC Buzz forums will teach you everyting you need to know about One note and other TPC issues.

Seth C

Shogmaster said:
OK then you are set to go! Just make sure you visit tabletpcbuzz.com forums for a good TPC primer. Cool thing is that I think One note comes with the Averatec. Really cool program. TPC Buzz forums will teach you everyting you need to know about One note and other TPC issues.

Yeah, OneNote is supposed to come with this one. What is it, exactly?

I also wouldn't mind if BB extended the "free battery" offer they have with the current Averatec to this one. I'd take an extra battery. :)

Seth C said:
Yeah, OneNote is supposed to come with this one. What is it, exactly?

I also wouldn't mind if BB extended the "free battery" offer they have with the current Averatec to this one. I'd take an extra battery. :)

One note is a comprehensive notetaking program designed specifically for Tablet PCs.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/onenote/prodinfo/overview.mspx

Most TPCs come with a trial version, but the Averatec seems to pack it in.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
On a side note, is anyone aware of a laptop which allows a video signal (composite/s-video) to be connected and displayed on the LCD? This is something that would be very important, but I'm not sure if this even exists. :\

Seth C said:
Got to admit, this is really tempting me. It's not the laptop I WANT, but $599 after rebates?

I hate to stalk you like this, but I would never buy anything with a Northwood Celeron in it.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2093&p=6

$650 out the door? OK. $980 out the door, and then maybe $300 back later in a mail in rebate? NO SALE!

dark10x said:
On a side note, is anyone aware of a laptop which allows a video signal (composite/s-video) to be connected and displayed on the LCD? This is something that would be very important, but I'm not sure if this even exists. :\

Yeah man. No such beast.

Seth C

Would only be $953 out the door for me. :) Had no idea that Celeron performed so poorly though. I've never owned a Celery myself.

Sometimes I wish I lived in Seattle still so that I could drive down to Oregon if there's something really expensive I wanted to buy at a retailer. An afternoon wasted driving was worth it if it saved me $200~$300.

As for the Celery, the new D versions seem decent for the price. Much better than the previous in performance (still would prefer a Barton though).

Scoobert

dark10x said:

They are kind of hard to find, most don't though. I think the best option though would be to get one of those external tv tuners. Some are good, some just plain suck. If you were to go that route, I would buy it at a store and not online. That way you can return it easily if you don't like it, or just try all of them for the best ones.

Plus it's like having your personal Tivo on your pc, without the added monthly costs. If you can find the right one, your laptop could be the best media center out there.

They usually run around $200 though.

Sorry to bump an older thread, but I have a warning to those who were thinking about purchasing the Averatec C3500 Tablet PC I suggested in this thread: It does not give you pressure sensitivity with Photoshop nor Painter. That fact makes the C3500 pretty much useless to artists.

The culprit is that it's not using Wacom's digitizer, but a Taiwanese newcomer called UC-Logic. These guys didn't think far enough to write appropreate drivers that works with Tablet PC, and MS TPC driver only works with new programs that were written for TPC's pressure sensitivity driver scheme.

More details here for those who are interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom