• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COPA AMERICA 2024

peish

Pessi and dimaria were dog shit, them oldies were 2 steps too slow to react.

scaloni had to blame the pitch to save their embarrassment

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
homer-simpson-usa-homer.gif

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Good matches so far

Sucks that Valencia went out early but Ecuador held strong

And Jamaica hung in there with Mexico

Last edited:

dEvAnGeL

LOL GET CONCACAF'D PERU

I wouldn't be surprised if Canada goes through from this group along side Argentina
Canada was wasting time on the corner at the 95th minute…….and Peru was playing with 10 players. Canada isn’t getting out the group stage, i think. But anything can happen.

Last edited:
Canada was wasting time on the corner at the 95th minute…….and Peru was playing with 10 players. Canada isn’t getting out the group stage, i think. But anything can happen.
Now Argentina got that goal in the 88th minute, it's looking good for Canada. We'll see how it goes

Gp1

Those smaller NFL fields favors A LOT the smaller teams that arm a 5-5-0 line and plays on defense the entire time. It's more than 700m² smaller than a FIFA's world cup field.

Brazilian (which did a shitty game, besides the field) and Argentinian soccer federation should be more vocal about it. I don't know how the hell Conmebol allow this kind of shit on the biggest tournament of the continent.

Those smaller NFL fields favors A LOT the smaller teams that arm a 5-5-0 line and plays on defense the entire time. It's more than 700m² smaller than a FIFA's world cup field.

Brazilian (which did a shitty game, besides the field) and Argentinian soccer federation should be more vocal about it. I don't know how the hell Conmebol allow this kind of shit on the biggest tournament of the continent.
It's because FIFA doesn't specify an exact field size the way the NFL does

To be fair to soccer games played in NFL stadiums, they do use some of the space that would otherwise be needed for the sidelines in the NFL for all the players and staff to stand and sit. So it's not exactly 53.3 yards width when the NFL stadiums are configured for soccer, but it's also not quite FIFA international spec 70-80 yards width either. On average it comes out to around 65 yards of width, which is more narrow than spec for sure but not as narrow as you would think. The length of fields is the same when the NFL goalposts and endzones are removed

CONMEBOL is allowing it because of $$$ dollar signs $$$ LOL, they're getting crowds of 80,000+ and making shitloads of money from ticket sales and broadcasting rights across the continents. And ultimately the less good teams are still going to lose and go out of the tournament, the final is still going to be 2 of Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay, or Chile no matter how wide or narrow the field is

Last edited:

The Fartist

Gold Member
Mexico are so fucking bad, it's embarrassing. The England of the Americas. Not that they're even remotely as good as England, but just that the media builds them up to be conquerors and the fans believe it, and then they put on a shit performance like yesterday. My dumbass keeps rooting for them. At least I still have my #2 horse in the race, USA, who are miles ahead of Mexico.

2DJgQQo.jpeg

Gp1

It's because FIFA doesn't specify an exact field size the way the NFL does

To be fair to soccer games played in NFL stadiums, they do use some of the space that would otherwise be needed for the sidelines in the NFL for all the players and staff to stand and sit. So it's not exactly 53.3 yards width when the NFL stadiums are configured for soccer, but it's also not quite FIFA international spec 70-80 yards width either. On average it comes out to around 65 yards of width, which is more narrow than spec for sure but not as narrow as you would think. The length of fields is the same when the NFL goalposts and endzones are removed

CONMEBOL is allowing it because of $$$ dollar signs $$$ LOL, they're getting crowds of 80,000+ and making shitloads of money from ticket sales and broadcasting rights across the continents. And ultimately the less good teams are still going to lose and go out of the tournament, the final is still going to be 2 of Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay, or Chile no matter how wide or narrow the field is

FIFA only allow its official matches on the 105x68m fields but soccer rules considers other fields like those in the US being the minimum allowed (100x64m). This kind of shit is OK for child play, not an international official tournament.
IMO both Brazil and Argentina should have complained about it. Let's see if the big bucks would come without Brazil and Argentina. But knowing how both federations works...

Soccer is already boring that way with the physical game taking precedence over the talent (and the newer generation being devoid of talent when you look at it historically) for the game to be played on a mini field where there is no space between the defense and the mid field. Every single person that knows soccer agree on this.

Even on Euro, we don't see France and England and a bunch of other teams having problems to score on smaller teams for no reason. It's so much easier to defend and play without the ball than to play with the ball.

Welp, that pretty much wraps it up for America huh

The host of Copa America 2024 going out at the group stage would be embarrassing but after that dire performance against Panama we fucking deserve it, why does America even have a soccer national team in the first place when we're so shit, it's a waste of resources we could be dedicating to sports we're good at

Panama is Kryptonite, they also knocked us out of the 2023 Gold Cup

We're hosting the World Cup in 2 years and I don't see any evidence we can make it past the group stage in that tournament either

Last edited:

Gp1

How the hell CONMEBOL put a fucking referee as weak as this and an Argentinian VAR in a decisive Brazilian game.

Brazil played like shit (again) but there was a blatant penalty that the referee didn't whistle.

It simply changed a semi-final

Last edited:

The Fartist

Gold Member
How the hell CONMEBOL put a fucking referee as weak as this and an Argentinian VAR in a decisive Brazilian game.

Brazil played like shit (again) but there was a blatant penalty that the referee didn't whistle.

It simply changed a semi-final
I was rooting for Colombia, but that penalty decision was total bullshit.

Reactions: Gp1
Unironically thinking I should move north to Canada and become a Canadian to have a national team which isn't terrible

Canada to the semi-finals in their first Copa America ever wew

Too bad it's Argentina waiting for them........

Top Bottom