• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Couple Doom (original questions)

1) Do you consider the mouselook in the open sources to be cheating? It seems so much easier with me being able to circle strafe than the old controls.

2) Was Ultimate Doom meant to be beatable? I'm playing on Ultra Violence and Thy Flesh Consumed seems to be impossibly hard (ie, having to fight 6 barons of hell at once in a lava pit with a shotgun and 20 ammo- can you tell i'm playing E4M2? :)

firex

Ultimate Doom was meant to be for the people who could beat the regular episodes on the hardest difficulty, and even then you probably want to play it on a lower setting. Also, secrets are way more important (hell, pretty much crucial) to being able to beat it because you're going to have a hard time finding the better guns without it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Mister Zimbu said:
1) Do you consider the mouselook in the open sources to be cheating? It seems so much easier with me being able to circle strafe than the old controls.

2) Was Ultimate Doom meant to be beatable? I'm playing on Ultra Violence and Thy Flesh Consumed seems to be impossibly hard (ie, having to fight 6 barons of hell at once in a lava pit with a shotgun and 20 ammo- can you tell i'm playing E4M2? :)

No, I don't consider it a cheat. In the old games, although you could not look up or down, you COULD use the mouse in conjunction with the keyboard to achieve mouse aiming. Since the game has always auto-aimed like crazy, you don't really need to be accurate.

Plaing jDoom with tons of enhancements truly rocks, though. It just feels so much smoother now. Massively enhanced visuals + 60 fps + better controls equals more fun!

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Legacy Doom rocks. Tons of changes and split screen multiplayer :D Plus bots! :D :D :D

EDIT: Big plus is that is also supports Heretic which is IMO better then doom.

Mareg

Sp3eD said:
EDIT: Big plus is that is also supports Heretic which is IMO better then doom.

Oh yeah, Heretic was one of my fave at the time. I rather enjoyed Heretic 2 also, was the best looking game of its time !

dark10x

Random Doom shot time!

a2j_doomed.jpg

a2j_doomed2.jpg

-playing with the lights-

a2j_lights.jpg

a2j_doomed3.jpg

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Does anyone have a working link for the Doom 64 TC? Every link I stumble across seems to be dead. Thanks.

dark10x

BenT said:
... Interesting pics. I think I'll stick with software rendering in ZDoom.

Well, you CAN run jDoom with all mods turned off ya know. :p There is just so much you can do with jDoom. Tweaks galore!

I just can't stand the way old Doom looks anymore.

And with renewed confidence, jDoom is loaded yet again and I spring forth and again defeat the Spider Mastermind on Thy Flesh Consumed (Ultra Violence, of course).

Daisy is avenged!

BenT

dark10x said:
Well, you CAN run jDoom with all mods turned off ya know. :p There is just so much you can do with jDoom. Tweaks galore!
That's cool. I really dislike the 3D enemy models in particular.
I just can't stand the way old Doom looks anymore.
I love it. It's timeless. id's best artistic effort, I'd say. GOOD ART.

dark10x

BenT said:
That's cool. I really dislike the 3D enemy models in particular.I love it. It's timeless. id's best artistic effort, I'd say. GOOD ART.

Whoa whoa whoa, confusion here.

I never use the 3D enemies in jDoom. They look stupid in motion and ruin the original feel. The original sprites work perfect in jDoom. What did you think, that you were forced to use 3D models instead of sprites? It just so happens that, in those shots, I was using the Doom 64 sprite mod. They are different looking, to be sure, but they are a nice change of pace. You certainly don't HAVE to use them at all. It's just a mod...

BenT

dark10x said:
I never use the 3D enemies in jDoom. They look stupid in motion and ruin the original feel. The original sprites work perfect in jDoom.
Nah, just saying in general. Most players I've seen in forums do use the 3D models, which I agree are atrocious.
dark10x said:
What did you think, that you were forced to use 3D models instead of sprites?
Nope, though I did assume you were using the models. I just don't see the reason to switch to JDoom from, say, ZDoom. I haven't looked at its featureset for awhile, but last I knew JDoom was mainly a graphics mod, which I don't really care about. I like features like ZDoom's new linedefs and scripting tricks. Maybe JDoom has that stuff too, now?

Sho Nuff

Banned
OMG DOOM LEGACY LETS ME PLAY CO-OP WITH 32 BOTS AT ONCE AHAHHAHA

Seriously, that is so awesome you will never know. Playing Doom II Ultra-Violence with about 4 or so bots is uber entertaining (32 is just unfair to the poor monsters).

BenT

Haha, never thought of that. Must try!

I used to like Legacy quite a bit, before it entered endless beta.

EmSeta

Wow.. I'm playing jDOOM right now as a matter of fact. It really looks and sounds stunning with all the upgrades (high-res textures, lighting effects, 3d enemy models, detail texturing, high screen resolution, revamped 2d art, remixed music, 3d weapons, fog, etc...) and amazingly enough, the DOOM games still stand tall in the gameplay department.

As for mouselook being cheating.. naah, not as long as you turn off the autoaim. And I can't say I had any recent difficulties with Thy Flesh Consumed on Ultra Violence. Then again, I've played it several times before.

For those of you not liking certain parts of jDOOM, just mix and match new stuff. There's a multitude of different plugins to use, and I've managed to find a nice balance between DOOM conservatism and modern graphics.

I recommend..

Adrian Carr's remixed soundtrack (amazing stuff)
The jDUI interface upgrade
The jDRP standard upgrades
The standard model pack + Cheb's model pack (complement eachother well)
The Multi FX pack (with fog and other nice touches)
The big high-res texture pack (very important)
Detail texture pack (I love detail texturing/dirtmaps)

They work great with Ultimate Doom 1 and Doom 2. For TNT/Plutonia there are additional files to get, but I haven't been able to find a nice mix there.

dark10x

I am also actually using the music and sound effects pack from PSX Doom. The music was very different and more ambient (created by the same person responsible for Doom 64's audio), but the sound effects are just much higher quality (IMO). Gives the game a new feel...

EmSeta

dark10x said:
I am also actually using the music and sound effects pack from PSX Doom. The music was very different and more ambient (created by the same person responsible for Doom 64's audio), but the sound effects are just much higher quality (IMO). Gives the game a new feel...

I've contemplated using the PSX sound effects - are they similar to the PC sounds? I just love the snoring, growling sounds that the monsters make in the original DOOM, but granted, the quality is far from perfect.

As for the music though, I really love Carr's remixes. I'm a big fan of the original DOOM music, and hearing the tunes in high-quality digital form is great. The PSX music is nice, but it's not really DOOM to me.

dark10x

EmSeta said:
I've contemplated using the PSX sound effects - are they similar to the PC sounds? I just love the snoring, growling sounds that the monsters make in the original DOOM, but granted, the quality is far from perfect.

As for the music though, I really love Carr's remixes. I'm a big fan of the original DOOM music, and hearing the tunes in high-quality digital form is great. The PSX music is nice, but it's not really DOOM to me.

Yeah, I know what you mean...the PSX music is quite different and almost isn't music at all. I really like it, though, as it adds an atmosphere I prefer.

Just listen to the sound effects yourself. They are quite different and VASLTY superior IMO. Much deeper bass and a greater variety across the whole sound spectrum. They obvioulsy won't hold that classic appeal, but they are higher quality sounds.

After a couple of years of playing Doom and Doom 2 on the PC, once I got my hands on the PSX version, that I was all I played from 1995 'til now. The music is so awesome and atmospheric, and the sound effects are so much better. Character speed is faster and the graphics were a little sharper. jDoom probably makes the PSX version obsolete, but I still hold a special place for that version.

Top Bottom