• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Creative Labs Nomad Zen Xtra- couple questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triumph

Banned
Ok, we I could pick up the 40 gig model of this digital jukebox doohicky at work for a discounted price of around $230. What I need are the answers to a couple of questions.

1. If I have a shit ton of songs on itunes, will I be able to somehow get them onto the Nomad?

2. How is this thing? For those of you who have one, how has it treated you? Can anyone give me a comparison with an ipod?

3. Does it have something that will let you play it in a car, like the itrip adapter for itunes?

I appreciate any input you guys can give me. I'm at work right now and can't get to creative's web page, so you guys are my only real source of input. Thanks!

Doth Togo

I have a 30gig Zen Xtra. It's great. Love the battery life and value.

iTunes, yes, it works. Transfer it via the software that came with the Zen Xtra.

FM broadcasters...there are two products that I've heard work well.

1. iRock's FM broadcaster

2. C. Crane's FM digital broadcaster - costs more money, but allows you to choose any station on the FM spectrum. Also has a transmission radius of 70 feet. (So that means you can hijack the signals of other cars when you're driving down the street... Pirate radio, anyone?)

Rock on.

Wait...am I understanding this correctly? Creative supports iTune's AAC format? I would just need to use Creative's software for transfering it? If so, then that Creative Zen Touch player is looking better and better.

DJ Sl4m

Quadrophenic said:
Wait...am I understanding this correctly? Creative supports iTune's AAC format? I would just need to use Creative's software for transfering it? If so, then that Creative Zen Touch player is looking better and better.

The Creative Zen won't read .ac4 files, and I'd soon as blow my big toe off rather than have all my music converted to .ac4 to begin with.

Triumph

Banned
DJ Sl4m said:
The Creative Zen won't read .ac4 files, and I'd soon as blow my big toe off rather than have all my music converted to .ac4 to begin with.
Wait, so it WON'T convert all of the crap that I have in itunes to something that can be loaded onto the NOMAD? This is the deciding factor in my purchase, so some clarification would be nice.

Raoul Duke said:
Wait, so it WON'T convert all of the crap that I have in itunes to something that can be loaded onto the NOMAD? This is the deciding factor in my purchase, so some clarification would be nice.

MP3, WMA, WAV only.

Hell, does any non ipod player support AC4?

No idea about conversion though. It's entirely possible itunes or Nomad explorer could do something for that.

AAC is basically MP4. It's the next-generation MP3. It is a standard, and more players will be supporting it soon. WinAmp plays AAC/M4A files as well.

Triumph

Banned
:confused

So all the crap that I've got on itunes won't transfer over to whatever software creative uses? Or it will?

DJ Sl4m

Raoul Duke said:
:confused

So all the crap that I've got on itunes won't transfer over to whatever software creative uses? Or it will?

No, it wont, at least not without burning the .ac4 files to CD's and re-ripping them as mp3/wma/wav.

Triumph

Banned
Well, I'm picking the thing up today. Hopefully I can get all the stuff transferred, if not then I'll just burn them back onto cds I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom