• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crusaders Quest: Fast Paced Puzzle Combat (iOS, Android)

0GbriMI.png

Trailer

iOS Download Link
Android Download Link

There seems to be no one talking about this game here, which is a shame because it's super fun. It can best be compared to Gacha games like Puzzle & Dragons, Monster Strike, and Terra Battle. While this game is free to play and uses typical f2p mechanics found in those games, Crusaders Quest is very forgiving and does a lot of things unique to other Gacha titles.

Typically I find the worst part of Gacha games is finding new characters/monsters. In Crusaders Quest, new characters can either be found the typical way by using a premium currency for a chance at a character, but there are also a few free methods. Additionally, while there are exclusive premium only characters, these aren't necessarily the best characters. Due to the skill system and party party synergy, many of the best characters are the free ones which are very easy to obtain. Heck, rerolling to obtain a good starter isn't even a thing in this game. Every player starts with the same legendary hero and a random 3 star character. No need to spend days looking for that perfect starting character.

dLrbV7N.jpg

There are three free ways to obtain characters; by promoting units, by finding them in missions, or by completing the end game dungeons. It's all quite easy and you can make an amazing squad without spending a nickle.

The battle system is really fun and fast paced for this kind of game. There's lots to do between the quests, weekly dungeons, coop world bosses, and pvp. The art style is very charming and the effects are pretty great. Fans of SNES-era RPGs will definitely get a kick out of the look and feel of the game.

OUK7UVP.jpg

I never spend money in these games because of the RNG screwing you out of your cash, but I actually spent a few bucks on this game as a thank you to the developers. I haven't even used the energy I bought.

Official description:
Real-time, strategic puzzle combat! Match your heroes' skill blocks to quickly decimate your foes. The more matches you make, the more devastating your attacks will be. Fill your power meter to deliver character specific special moves like the Archer's Fire Rain or the Paladin's earth-shattering Holy Hammer! Time your strikes to defeat massive Boss Monsters and learn their attack patterns just like old-school console titles.

Basic breakdown of the battle system from the Wiki:

Battle:
  1. Character Status - Displays information about the heroes in your team.
  2. Detailed Information - Displays how much damage and healing was dealt. Can be disabled in settings.
  3. Rewards Menu - Shows what rewards you have achieved. You can also pause the game.
  4. Goddess Skill Gauge - Fill this up by using skills to be able to use goddess skills.
  5. Skill Block Interface - Tap on a skill block to use the skill. Combined skill blocks have greater effects.
Basic Attacks
All heroes on the team will automatically carry out basic attacks. This attack does not grant any SP, and does not add to the goddess skill gauge.

Block Skills
Each hero has a block skill. Some of the heroes share a block skill, while some do not. You can use up to 3 skill blocks at once. Combining skill blocks will make the skill stronger. More skill blocks will also increase the amount which is filled into the goddess skill gauge.

Using blocks will also give the corresponding hero SP. This will only occur if the hero is at least 3 star and has a special skill. Every block will grant 20 SP. Therefore, you need to use 5 blocks to get 100 SP. When the SP gauge reaches 100, a special skill block will be spawned.

Special Skills
When you reach 100 SP, a special skill block will be spawned. Using this special skill block will not grant any SP, but it will fill the goddess skill gauge.

Goddess Skills
To use goddess skills, the goddess skill gauge (No. 4) has to be filled up. You can store up to 3 uses of the goddess skill at once. To fill the goddess skill gauge, you have to use the block skills by tapping on them. If multiple skill blocks are used at once, they will fill the gauge faster.

Some images:

U5zqMeG.jpg

CYcjuSd.jpg

4LJEcc0.jpg

JSgB2o4.jpg

7VNyVxJ.jpg

0voNpcN.jpg

Right now this is my favorite iOS title and I hope I can help get some other folks to give this game a try. I pretty much just play this and Terra Battle on my phone right now.

I'm here to help in case anyone has any questions.

Useful Links:
Official Twitter
Crusaders Quest Reddit - Lots of useful discussion, information, and links.
Crusaders Quest Log - More useful information and some nice articles.
Questrada - Same as above, but has some nice breakdowns on characters and skills.
App Invasion CQ Forum - Great place for discussing various aspects about the game.

Hah, I never noticed. I usually play with the sound off. iOS has some crashing issues and one way to lessen it is to turn the sound off. Android is fine though (I play on both).

Just started playing this over the weekend. Finally got the basics down after that long, long intro with way too much text. Liking it so far, but I'm not sure what the best strategy is.. Levelling up my heroes to 3 stars or just focussing on getting one even higher?

If you give it a try add me in game. You can use a friend once a day and send each other a bit of honor.

IGN: Wryx

Just added you, I'm BanzaiNL

Just started playing this over the weekend. Finally got the basics down after that long, long intro with way too much text. Liking it so far, but I'm not sure what the best strategy is.. Levelling up my heroes to 3 stars or just focussing on getting one even higher?

Just added you, I'm BanzaiNL

Focus on Leon. He's a legendary class character and can carry you for a lot of the game. If he's ever at max level, train him and promote. The next step would be focusing on a healer.

Obtaining characters in this game is unique. Legendary heroes start at rank 1, promote all the way to 6, and pretty much stay the same just their stats go up and they gain passive abilities. Regular heroes are different. When promoting from 1 to 2 or 2 to 3, they will randomly be rolled into another character of the same class. These don't really matter, but the big rank up is from 3 to 4. When this promotion happens, the character is randomly rolled into one of a few characters in their class. There is no further RNG after this, the hero will always stay the same after each promotion, they will just gain new visuals and more power.

All the heroes in the game can be seen in the Tome which is on the main town screen on the top left hand corner.

Focus on Leon. He's a legendary class character and can carry you for a lot of the game. If he's ever at max level, train him and promote. The next step would be focusing on a healer.

Obtaining characters in this game is unique. Legendary heroes start at rank 1, promote all the way to 6, and pretty much stay the same just their stats go up and they gain passive abilities. Regular heroes are different. When promoting from 1 to 2 or 2 to 3, they will randomly be rolled into another character of the same class. These don't really matter, but the big rank up is from 3 to 4. When this promotion happens, the character is randomly rolled into one of a few characters in their class. There is no further RNG after this, the hero will always stay the same after each promotion, they will just gain new visuals and more power.

All the heroes in the game can be seen in the Tome which is on the main town screen on the top left hand corner.
Great advice, thanks! Haven't focused on training characters and (upgrading) weapons yet.. I guess that'll have to come later as everything is pretty expensive.

Great advice, thanks! Haven't focused on training characters and (upgrading) weapons yet.. I guess that'll have to come later as everything is pretty expensive.

Don't worry about upgrading weapons. Only 5 stars or above are worth it.

Also, once you get going you'll find gold and honor are easy to obtain. It's bread that's the major limiting factor. Always have your bakery going!

Jinko

Been playing this for a few weeks now, add me via Line if you want Jinko. :D

My main is normally Yeowoodong, almost 6 stared her.

Don't worry about upgrading weapons. Only 5 stars or above are worth it.

Also, once you get going you'll find gold and honor are easy to obtain. It's bread that's the major limiting factor. Always have your bakery going!

I dunno gold is pretty hard to acquire unless you are converting gems to gold, especially when you are feeding up 5 and 6 star heroes it can get very expensive.

Also for anyone starting out dunno if its been mentioned but its always worth leveling your 1 star duplicate monsters to 10 before selling them for honor, this way you get a free gem as well and is prob the best and easiest way to acquire them.

Once you get rolling, gems, gold, and honor are the easiest things to acquire. For gold, just farm 1-6. Honor and gems come from PvP. Bread on the other hand...

I don't have Line but you can add me in game. I have D'Art 6* with a 6* weapon as my main. I run the D'Art, Robin, Maria combo.

Nikodemos

Noticed a bug in the town screen. Sera's house doesn't update its status (it keeps reading 'NEW') even after exhausting all conversation subjects.

Top Bottom