• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CS Source out next week, HL2 contents finalised, 3 steam packages available

Burger

Taken from www.hlfallout.net (who recieved an email from Gabe Newell)

Original E-mail:
The Half-Life 2 offers have been finalized. Details are pasted below. The Steam offers will be available for purchase next week. Those who purchase via Steam, will receive the final version of Counter-Strike: Source immediately. Half-Life 2 and other games in the Steam offerings will be made available to purchasers upon their release.
Half-Life 2 Offers

RETAIL BOX:
1. Standard Edition:
-- Half-Life 2
-- Counter-Strike: Source
Note: Ships on six CDs. Three different box designs will be made available at launch (cover characters change on the different designs: one is Gordon, one is Alyx, and the third is the Gman).

2. Collector's Edition:
-- Half-Life 2
-- Half-Life 1: Source
-- Half-Life 2 T-shirt
-- Prima book sampler
Note: This version will contain the games on a DVD.

STEAM OFFERINGS

1. "Bronze"
-- Half-Life 2*
*(To be made available upon product's release.)

2. "Silver"
-- Half-Life 2*
-- Half-Life 1: Source*
-- Day of Defeat: Source*
-- Valve's back catalog currently available on Steam *(To be made available upon products' release.)

3. "Gold"
-- Half-Life 2*
-- Half-Life 1: Source*
-- Day of Defeat: Source*
-- Valve's back catalog currently available on Steam
-- Complete Strategy Guide from Prima Games
-- 3 different Half-Life 2 posters
-- Half-Life 2 hat
-- Half-Life 2 postcard
-- Half-Life 2 stickers
-- Half-Life 2 Soundtrack CD
-- Chance to win a trip to Valve! (1 trip offered for every 5000 Gold packages purchased).

*(To be made available upon products' release.)

Since the collector's edition isnt worth $80, i think ill be getting the cheapest steam package that includes HL:Source, so i guess that means silver. i hope its not too expensive.

SKluck

Banned
Well, this isn't on Halflife2.net, I trust them. And we all know how great Valve's security is and the impossibility of spoofing emails.

Edit: Ok HL2.net just updated with it, but I'm still skeptical.

With that said, if this is true... if I buy through steam they will be shipping me hats and guides and shit, but not a DVD? Or will they ship a dvd too? I just want a physical copy, I have to have one.

I just can't fathom steam "Collector's edition" having 10x better shit than the retail collector's edition. Unless they are trying to balance the lack of a cd/dvd.

Fuck you valve, I want a dvd AND all that shit!

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
This makes the decision even harder.

DoD:Source on the silver and gold steam editions, but not in any of the retail boxes? I'd like to have the game on DVD, but I don't want the retail version to be expensive and gimped.

-- 3 different Half-Life 2 posters
-- Half-Life 2 hat
-- Half-Life 2 postcard
-- Half-Life 2 stickers
-- Half-Life 2 Soundtrack CD
-- Chance to win a trip to Valve! (1 trip offered for every 5000 Gold packages purchased).

if there is more than 20 bucks difference on this im getting silver version

edit

evilore you can prolly own dod source later on via steam purchase

I wouldnt bet it being more than 20 (at highest)

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Zombie: Yeah, but I'd rather not pay $80 for the collector's edition and another $20 for DoD:Source, when I could just get the steam silver edition for probably $60-$70, or the gold edition for $70-90 with all the extra goodies.

I already HAVE the current valve backlog (uh, it's just HL1 and CZ, right?), so that doesn't factor in, but still.

Blah.

Banjo Tango said:
So Half Life 1: Source is the full first game using 2's engine?

Yeah. Last time Valve talked, it was basically the same game in terms of art assets and whatnot, but running on all of the physics and object property stuff that HL2 offers.

Eric-GCA

Banned
So, do we know how much those Steam offerings actually cost?

Cerebral Palsy said:
Fuck Valve. I won't give them a cent until TF2 is released. Only having CS: Source for multiplayer is beyond lame.
I always thought that people liked CS over TF? I've never played either, but that seemed to be the concensus I get online.

SKluck

Banned
EviLore said:
Zombie: Yeah, but I'd rather not pay $80 for the collector's edition and another $20 for DoD:Source, when I could just get the steam silver edition for probably $60-$70, or the gold edition for $70-90 with all the extra goodies.

I already HAVE the current valve backlog (uh, it's just HL1 and CZ, right?), so that doesn't factor in, but still.

Blah.

Same boat as me, man. If they have some option to ship you a dvd for 5 extra bucks (fuck maybe even 10), I'd jump on that like crazy.

But as it stands, this is a hard decision.

Anyone else pissed about the lack of multiplayer? And by multiplayer I mean content that isn't 5 years old with prettier graphics? CS is nice and all, but that shit grew old after I played it for 3 years straight from 1999. HL2DM and TDM would rock.

Or maybe its just me that loved HL TDM. Some of those maps were fucking awesome. Like the one where your team takes the fort and nukes the rest of the level (Crossfire?). TDM wasn't in the box, but it was pretty damn fun.

Where the hell is TFC Source? I thought its existence was confirmed but it was going to be a while before we got it? I've pretty much given up all hope on seeing TF2 in my lifetime.

Burger

I wouldn't worry about multiplayer, I'm not. This game will be the king of mods, there are alot that are quite far in development.

I would expect that TFC will be ported by somebody, if not Valve. It's my expectation that Valve will finish TF2 after HL2 is out.

available upon products release means when legal battle over which in turn means that Vampire:bloodlines wont be released anytime soon. and its all but done.

i guess we will find out this week what the PC mags give the game, but i wouldnt put too much weight on their scores (didnt pcgamer give doom3 a huge score for the exclusive and it was only a 75%-85% game)

still, the situation isnt that bad, at least the framework seems to be done and once the lawyers are paid we will have it.

Eric-GCA

Banned
I bit the bullet and changed my order to the Collector's Edition. True its expensive, but some of the perks just interest me, like the DVD and HL-Source. I guess there's also another free T-shirt too :p

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Silver Package for me... I wonder if you can burn the source files onto a DVD so you don't have to redownload them?

SKluck

Banned
I think I'm just going to get the Steam gold and buy a physical copy a year or 2 down the road when it is cheaper.

I just pray they offer the dvd in a standard version, without the bullshit.

Suikoguy said:
Silver Package for me... I wonder if you can burn the source files onto a DVD so you don't have to redownload them?

yeah in your steamapps folder just copy past all the .gcf files to disc (or more) and then whenever you reinstall steam copy the gcf files backing into the steamapps folder

Since Day of Defeat: Source and Half-Life: Source aren't particularly enticing, I might go with the 'bronze' Steam version.

I'm pretty interested in seeing what the ATI voucher guys get, and also in the price of the 'bronze' version. Do I have much to lose in buying a voucher off ebay for $30? There's a few going in Australia for that price.

Stryder

buck naked said:
Since Day of Defeat: Source and Half-Life: Source aren't particularly enticing, I might go with the 'bronze' Steam version.

I'm pretty interested in seeing what the ATI voucher guys get, and also in the price of the 'bronze' version. Do I have much to lose in buying a voucher off ebay for $30? There's a few going in Australia for that price.
Depends how eager you are to get into it, it means that you can start playing the CS:Source beta as soon as you've downloaded it onto your PC if you did. I couldn't help myself as I was eager to check out the engine, also.. $30 for a copy of HL2 seems worth it, donchya think?

Stryder said:
Depends how eager you are to get into it, it means that you can start playing the CS:Source beta as soon as you've downloaded it onto your PC if you did. I couldn't help myself as I was eager to check out the engine, also.. $30 for a copy of HL2 seems worth it, donchya think?
That's what I'm thinking. Worst case scenario and the ATI HL2 voucher only entitles you to the 'bronze' version, it will probably work out cheaper anyway...

Sold =)

Eric-GCA said:
I always thought that people liked CS over TF? I've never played either, but that seemed to be the concensus I get online.

DopeyFish said:
CS is the most popular online game by far. Nothing comes even close.

Most popular isn't always the best, which is the case here. TF (Quake) is the greatest fps mod ever. Hell, TFC > CS.

CS: Source is a weak ass port anyway. People will lap up anything.

awww ok CP, somehow i think that people wouldnt keep coming back to CS if they didnt enjoy it. seriously.

remember, it is you who thinks the quake TF mod is the best ever and you havent played the full Cs:S...
i would reserve judgement until release.

80 bucks for the collector's edition and they don't even include DOD? They really are taking bullshit pricing to a new extreme. I have half a mind to just subscribe for 1 month (10 dollars?) and play HL2 and be done with it (If this is even an option. It seems all the available options have you "buying" it.)

Crystalkoen

Haven't read my voucher in awhile, but I can only imagine that either you
A: Send it to them with address info and they ship it to you.
OR
B: You take it to a retail outlet and redeem it.

In either case, I expect you'll get the retail version, and not the collector's edition. Better believe that if I CAN weasel my way into the Collector's version, I will, even without DVD Drive on my system... I'll just borrow a friend's ;)

Kifimbo

I think the 80$ price point isn't confirm.

Ship date and price are estimates and subject to change. If the actual release price is lower than what we have listed, you will be charged the lower price.

teiresias

Ugh, I'm ONLY interested in HL2 and HL:Source, none of the multiplayer, nada. I wish there was some way to get those two on disk without shelling out $80!!

Oh well, looks like I'll probably just wait for Vampire:Bloodlines as my next PC game purchase.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Cerebral Palsy said:
Most popular isn't always the best, which is the case here. TF (Quake) is the greatest fps mod ever. Hell, TFC > CS.

CS: Source is a weak ass port anyway. People will lap up anything.

Counter-Strike is the best too. BY FAR.

Ugh, I'm ONLY interested in HL2 and HL:Source, none of the multiplayer, nada. I wish there was some way to get those two on disk without shelling out $80!!

Buy the retail version, then buy HL:S through Steam and burn the files to a CD. Or buy the silver package through Steam and burn all the files to a DVD.

epmode

MrPing1000 said:
dvd for me, i doubt that people who buy the game at retail wont get dod etc for free
from what i understand, day of defeat is produced by activision, which is why it's not included in the retail packages. you'll probably have to purchase it seperately.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
DVDs need to start becoming a standard in PC releases. Thank God some of the major releases this year have been released on DVD and I'm extremely happy to see HL2 will as well.

I'd love the GOLD Steam edition but I need a hardcopy on DVD, especially if the download is over 4 fucking gigs.

EDIT: ALWAYS THE SIMPLE AND OBVIOUS THINGS ELUDE ME. I'll just burn the game to DVD, good point.

epmode

TekunoRobby said:
I'd love the GOLD Steam edition but I need a hardcopy on DVD, especially if the download is over 4 fucking gigs.
you can preload now..

after the release, just burn the cache files to a dvd. that's my plan, anyway.

So where can we get the CS: Source beta? I've been checking on Valve, Steam.... only see updates. Is it a closed?

Yeah, I believe it's only available to people who bought Condition Zero. Until next week, anyway. =)

epmode

TekunoRobby said:
I've never touched Steam in my life or even seen it, decent service?
it's great. much better than when it started. no more worrying about where to download patches, good security, a convenient friends network (when it's actually up..)

hell, after the successful preloads, it's finally actually a viable distribution channel, just like valve promised so long ago.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
epmode said:
it's great. much better than when it started. no more worrying about where to download patches, good security, a convenient friends network (when it's actually up..)

hell, after the successful preloads, it's finally actually a viable distribution channel, just like valve promised so long ago.

security as in what? it sure isn't secure from cheating by a long shot :p

Just got word from Dave White (the big cahuna here at IGN/GameSpy) that comes straight from Andy Burnes at ATi:

"The ATI key holders will receive the Bronze package. There will be the opportunity to upgrade packages, but the cost has not yet been announced."

There u be

Top Bottom