• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cube (UK) magazine: SK returns to GC

The loss of Silicon Knights, creators of Eternal Darkness and Metal Gear Solid: TTS, as an exclusive developer was a minor but nevertheless notable blow for Nintendo earlier in the year. But now it seems as if the treacherous dog is about to become a valuable contributor to the Nintendo legacy once more. Silicon Knights is still not returning fully to the fold, in that it won't be becoming an exclusive developer again, but it is apparently working on a new and as yet un-named game for the Gamecube. This is in addition to Too Human, which was a tech demo shown at the launch of the Gamecube and is rumoured to be turning into a multi-format release.

Issue 39, Page 22.

Solid

ME = AMPED!

jump.gif

Bishman

This is in addition to Too Human, which was a tech demo shown at the launch of the Gamecube and is rumoured to be turning into a multi-format release.

Nintendo needs to make Too Human a timed exclusive like Splinter Cell for Xbox.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
snapty00 said:
It would surprise me if anybody made new titles for GameCube now, much less games with a significant budget.

Of course it would surprise you, but it's going to happen.

multiplatform games can suck it. I want developers to put all their effort into one version and not spread themselves thin. Back to the brilliant Metroid Prime 2- my one and only god.

Che

Banned
snapty00 said:
It would surprise me if anybody made new titles for GameCube now, much less games with a significant budget.

Oh god the worthless troll hits again. I wonder why they haven't banned you yet.

edit: Now I think of it, he might be Drinky's joke character. That would explain why he isn't banned.

I hope this news is true.. I LOVED Eternal Darkness (one of my top 3 favorite games this generation), and I'm hoping to get MGS:TT for Christmas..

Yay for this hopeful-yet-not-so-probable-news!

Che

Banned
Biglesworth23 said:
I hope this news is true.. I LOVED Eternal Darkness (one of my top 3 favorite games this generation), and I'm hoping to get MGS:TT for Christmas..

Yay for this hopeful-yet-not-so-probable-news!

I agree. IMO letting Silicon Knights go was the most stupid decision Nintendo made this gen.

Bishman

Che said:
I agree. IMO letting Silicon Knights go was the most stupid decision Nintendo made this gen.

They decided to let them go because the sales of Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes and Eternal Darkness?

Kon Tiki

Banned
Unless SK is bought out into making exclusives games for either Sony or MS, Sk will make games for Nintendo. Denis is too in love with Nintendo to not makes games for Nintendo.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Willco said:
I really don't think that's much of a troll when it's pretty much true.

All you need to do is look at the upcoming release pages at ebgames.

PS2 has 8 pages, Xbox has 7, Gamecube has... 2.

FoneBone

Society said:
Unless SK is bought out into making exclusives games for either Sony or MS, Sk will make games for Nintendo. Denis is too in love with Nintendo to not makes games for Nintendo.
In the current market, though, I'm not sure how many third parties will be willing to publish a GC title. Specifically a "mature" one.

Deg

Banned
DopeyFish said:

EBGAMES and stores of that style will always have much lower sales of GC and much higher sales for Xbox. Maybe its the hardcore gamers who knows?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Deg said:
EBGAMES and stores of that style will always have much lower sales of GC and much higher sales for Xbox. Maybe its the hardcore gamers who knows?

we're talking upcoming releases though, not sales :p

Kon Tiki

Banned
I do not see SK releasing another game this gen, unless it is a port. They do not have anything to port either, they do not own the IPs of any games they made this gen,

FoneBone

Society said:
I do not see SK releasing another game this gen, unless it is a port. They do not have anything to port either.
Oh. I thought you were saying you believed the magazine's story.

Brofist

DopeyFish said:

It's true not much it coming out..it's all Zelda and RE4 from here.

Seriously; SK's spent the last few years working exclusively on the Cube. It does indeed make sense that some publisher or another might contract them to do (gasp) a GameCube title.

FoneBone

Kobun Heat said:
Seriously; SK's spent the last few years working exclusively on the Cube. It does indeed make sense that some publisher or another might contract them to do (gasp) a GameCube title.
We're probably talking a Western third party here... publishing a major GC exclusive? Nah.

ge-man

When SK quit being a 2nd party developer, both Nintendo and SK refused to rule out further projects together. This shouldn't come as surprise considering their extensive experince on the GC, as Kobun just mentioned.

Rhindle

Kobun Heat said:
Except that nobody in their right mind would commission a Gamecube exclusive title at this point.

ge-man

Rhindle said:
Except that nobody in their right mind would commission a Gamecube exclusive title at this point.

But what if Nintendo is publishing the title? They are doing that right now with Geist.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Rhindle said:

That's not really true, you know. There's at least ONE company that would.

AniHawk

Rhindle said:

Sega might.

Which doesn't say much about Sega.

On Too Human: I don't think it will ever come out if it isn't shown at E3 next year. It's been 6 years since it was first show for chrissake.

Rhindle

DavidDayton said:
That's not really true, you know. There's at least ONE company that would.
Well, I was responding to Kobun's post which clearly referred to a third party hiring them.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Deku Tree said:
Matt @ IGN has been saying the GC is in SK's rearview mirror for some time now.

Well, in all fairness, this is IGN we're talking about...

In all seriousness, however, I can't see why a GameCube exclusive would be so impossible these days... a properly marketed exclusive title could do very well, especially if there is little competition. A smaller publisher who might struggle to gather sales on the PS2 might do very well to release an "exclusive" GC title, if they can just get the attention to it.

snapty00

Banned
DavidDayton said:
Well, in all fairness, this is IGN we're talking about...

In all seriousness, however, I can't see why a GameCube exclusive would be so impossible these days... a properly marketed exclusive title could do very well, especially if there is little competition. A smaller publisher who might struggle to gather sales on the PS2 might do very well to release an "exclusive" GC title, if they can just get the attention to it.
Unless it's something like Nintendo's or Sega's mascot characters, I really don't think that's the case.

Deku Tree

snapty00 said:
Unless it's something like Nintendo's or Sega's mascot characters, I really don't think that's the case.

Viewtiful Joe sold pretty good despite Capcom's unreasonably high expectations.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
snapty00 said:
Viewtiful Joe. Super Monkey Ball. Tales of Symphonia. All exclusive (or time-exclusive, anyway) third party GC games, all featuring then brand-new IP (yeah, Tales is technically a continuation of a series, but I don't think many people bought it here in the States because of the other games), and all featuring decent enough sales that the game's development was fiscally justified.

It is not insane, crazy, or bad business sense to make a GC-exclusive game. You just have to know your demographics, know your marketing, and make sure the game is, you know, good.

Top Bottom