• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Curiosa Festival Randall's Island! (OMFG!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Let me start off by saying one thing: I did not see any of the main stage, even though I heard it all clearly. I didn't really care that I missed the main stage, because the second stage was fucking NUTS! Now, if the second stage haters would kindly exit my thread and save the hate for another thread...I will now proceed with my quick impressions in my most fucked up state.

The Cooper Temple Clause -- Pretty good. Played 2 songs from the first record and then 3 from the new one. I'm a huge fan of the band, but I was pissed off that the vocals could barely be heard. From what I heard, I could tell that live and in studio the Coops sound virtually the same.

Melissa Auf De Maur -- Very good. She played 5 songs, but they could've played "Real A Lie" instead of "Head Unbound", but it was all still pretty solid. Melissa was really excited, was full of energy and was hoping around a lot. For "Skin Receiver" she handed the bass down to the other chick guitarist and was doing a pretty sexy dance in her sexy as hell skirt. *Mmmmm...*

Thursday -- Awesome! They played 6 songs. I love Thursday, but I'm not good with any of their album names. I know they played 2 songs from the previous record, 2 from the current and 2 from the first two records. They of course did "Understanding" and that was the shit! Geoffrey jumped into the crowd TWICE and those who have seen Thursday can only imagine what the fuck happened when he did that. Oh, man. People went ape shit. Thursday put on a fantastic show.

Muse -- FLAWLESS! Holy sweet motherfucking aural nectars of the Gods! I was not expecting such a reception for Muse, but everyone was going *crazy!* For starters, the crowd was absolutely chaotic! We were getting tossed back and forth so much that I had begun to lose breath, but still enjoyed every second of the show. Matthew was just...Good God, I don't know, he was perfect. They all were, but Matthew was without a doubt the highlight. You should've seen what the fuck he did in the middle of Hysteria! Around half-way into the song (around 2:23), instead of playing the solo normally like you hear it on the record he went Vai/Malmsteen/(insert favorite soloist here) on us! Jesus Christ did I feel that solo rip my heart apart; it was beautiful. I think that solo was the highlight of the whole night, it was *that* good! Muse was loud. They were perfect. The crowd was chaotic. People were getting thrown around, but my God did it feel great. Everybody was fucking sweating and we were all getting pressed up against each other, but man...Muse made it seem like a slice of heaven. They played Newborn, Hysteria, Stockholm Syndrome, Time is Running Out, and Butterflies & Hurricanes. A catalogue of mostly new songs, but all of the songs rocked us all hard.

As for The Cure, by the time we made it back to stage 1, the crowd was insane. I was tired beyond hell after Muse so I stayed around for about 2 songs and then left to my car, which is where I waited for my friends for about an hour and a half. I was listening to the Burning Brides and relaxing.

Can't wait to see 'The Brides now on the 19th. \m/>_<\m/

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Auf der Mahr is terrible in every aspect. The only thing I enjoyed was the dancing. Muse did put on a fuckin fantastic show though. I really enjoyed Cooper Temple Clause as well. Skipping out on the Cure, tsk tsk.

AlphaSnake

eXxy said:
you go to curiosa and skip out on the cure

i should ban you

Watching dots perform on stage isn't my idea of a concert -- that's how far back we were.

AlphaSnake

Well ok, then...here's another excuse: The Smiths >>>>>>>>>>>>> The Cure.

Oh-el-snapo.

White Man

To get revenge on Alpha and balance the universe, I'm going to go see Incubus just for Sparta (even though I don't like Sparta that much and their new album is an embarassment to the memory of ATDI).

AlphaSnake

Sirpopopop said:
Fart - Alpha has shit for brains.

He's a rich NYC kid who didn't use his mom or pops money to go to NYU or BC. :)

Except I don't go to NYU or BC. You lose again. It's really pathetic to see people hate me so much for not watching their band of choice perform.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
AlphaSnake said:
Except I don't go to NYU or BC. You lose again. It's really pathetic to see people hate me so much for not watching their band of choice perform.

Did you read what he wrote? Not even community college, heh? j/k :)

Alpha - Read my post again, read what I said CAREFULLY.

I said "you didn't use your mom or pops money to go to NYU or BC."

To repeat, because you are a bit slow:

"you didn't use your mom or pops money to go to NYU or BC."

As for my original post - It was a joke. Now, I think I'm going to amend it to serious statement. Perhaps you do have shit for brains.

AlphaSnake

I guess your implying that I go to a shitty school because I didn't use my parents' money? Or that I don't go to school at all? I really don't care about schools like NYU or Columbia. Queens College is still one of the best colleges in New York State.

AlphaSnake said:
I guess your implying that I go to a shitty school because I didn't use my parents' money? Or that I don't go to school at all? I really don't care about schools like NYU or Columbia. Queens College is still one of the best colleges in New York State.

I wasn't saying you go to a shitty school. I was saying that you had shit for brains.

AlphaSnake

Sirpopopop said:
I wasn't saying you go to a shitty school. I was saying that you had shit for brains.

Whatever, your joke totally flew over me. Stop trolling my thread.

AlphaSnake

Bogdan said:
I saw The Cure up close and personal at Coachella and let me say, what a crappy way to end an awesome two day festival. God did they stink it up. My girlfriend is a huge Cure fan and even she thought they sucked. Don't feel bad about missing them they are so past their prime and just running on fumes...milking it really. Sad to see a 40-year-old FAT man with crazy hair and make up, really sad.

If only The Flaming Lips could have played for another hour and a half instead of The Cure coming out.

I heard a lot of the concert from the car and I just didn't feel as if I was missing anything. Even my friends who are huge fans said that they thought it was merely good, meanwhile the stage 2 acts were much better. Muse was easily the band of the night with Thursday closely following.

White Man - You went to see the enemy, Sparta and Incubus, leaders in the Corporate Mafia of Music. They intend on crushing our souls y'know - true story, can diagram it if you want me to.

White Man

I didn't. I just posted that earlier today. I'd never actually lower myself to supporting Boyd's frightening and distrubing low rise jeans addiction. Or supporting the shitty ATDI-split band. I was just trying to show Alpha a nice equivalency to what his action was like to those who adore the Cure.

fart

Savant
i liked popop's analogy personally. it is a little like being rich enough to go to nyu but too stupid to get in.

K, gotcha(White Man). You were suggesting a hypothetical to balance against him going to Curiosa just to see Muse instead of The Cure. Unfortunately there is no way to balance against Alpha, White Man. Maybe, there will be a version of Anakin Skywalker who likes to drink Pabst and listen to Sebadoh, who might come to balance Alpha. Until then, nothing can balance against the many crimes of music that AlphaSnake commits.

AlphaSnake

White Man said:
I didn't. I just posted that earlier today. I'd never actually lower myself to supporting Boyd's frightening and distrubing low rise jeans addiction. Or supporting the shitty ATDI-split band. I was just trying to show Alpha a nice equivalency to what his action was like to those who adore the Cure.

It really doesn't bother me at all...it's your choice, why should it effect me?

Edit: Oh piss off, you elitist tampon. *snores*

nitewulf

just got back from the camden, NJ show. awesome. i guess alpha was in a bad postition, i've been to randall's and the stages are usually far apart. in tweeter center (camden), the stages are almost right by each other, basically theres a cliff...one stage is on top of it (the primary) and the other stage is at the bottom (secondary) and if you choose to run from the primary, you can sit on the slope and have a great view of the secondary. having explained the infrastructure, the bands did not perform simultaneously, rather sequentially. so i got to see everyone i wanted to without missing out, or being forced to choose.

execept i arrived late so i missed mogwai (damn), cooper temple clause (dont know enough), auf der maur (meh), and only caught the tail end of rapture's set (damn they are good). then i caught thursday (secondary stage), interpol (primary stage), Muse (secondary stage) and the cure (primary stage).

rapture - as i said, i caught only the last 2 songs. i have never heard their music before but it was very impressive. funky, loud drums, melodious guitar riffs and interesting vocals...their "songs", and i use the term loosely, rather their "mood pieces" were just great to listen to. i'll be sure to check out some of their albums.

thursday - i consciously steered clear of their music before, im not very much into the whole "emo" scene. but i really love coheed and cambria and the mars volta, and i suppose they could be considered emo. anyway, thursday were vey good live, again, dont have a clue as to what they sang as im not familiar with their songs. didnt interest me enough to check out their stuff either, just a regular good rock performance.

interpol - their whole set was very good. not much else to say here.

muse - one of my primary reasons to go. the only thing dissapointing about their set was that it was too short. the vocalist is amazing, he plays the lead, runs to the piano...plays a solo and runs back and starts playing the lead again. most of their songs im familiar with were not covered, they did sing apocalypse please and bliss, but not too many stuff from showbiz or origin of symmetry. they played for about half an hour, very energetic, very rocking show. absolutely impressive.

the cure - my primary reason for going. this was the first time i've seen them live. phenomenal show. they sang about 20 songs, and pretty much covered all their pop hits. they drove the audience wild, eveybody was standing up pretty much the whole way through. lovers were dancing and kissing during just like heaven and love song. people were acting creepy during lullaby (guys were humping each other...wtf? as expected i guess). they sang fascination street, pictures of you, why cant i be you and some stuff from their new album. basically i was hoping they'd cover boys dont cry, some other earlier stuff and friday im in love, but they didnt. i guess friday im in love is too much of a big hit. either way, it was a great great show, pretty much every song was awesome, a very intense mood, atmosphere, and ambiance was created. only their new stuff was sorta meh (and received in that fashion as well). in fact a funny part of the show was, robert smith went..."uhh, hmm, dont know what else to sing now...here is a song from our new album, disintegration" everybody was laughing their asses of and then he started singing lullaby, and it was just awesome.

anyway, money well spent. if alpha watched muse and could have watched cure later on but decided to leave, then i just dont know what to say. if he had to choose between them and decided to watch muse, then at least i'd understand, even though i'd totally disagree with the decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom