• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Curious Halo sales idea....

With all the Halo 2 hype it's been a case of basing Halo 2 sales on Halo's sales with
a bit of guesswork in between. With the 2.38 mill first day figures, is patently obvious that Halo as a franchise is mass-market in a way that Halo (1 the game) never was, or only gradually became through word of mouth... and hype of Halo 2.

I'm curious as to how much Halo has been selling recently is to do with Halo 2, and also how well Halo sells from now on... if Halo 2 has truly tapped into the casual, mass-market crowd (selling Xboxes in the process) it's entirely possible that the original Halo will continue to sell to new customers... I'm thinkig of the kids at school who's mates all have Xboxes and have to get Halo 2, and by association the first game... I don't think the original Halo, crazy sales though it has done has had that kind of impact in the mass-market sector...

Just some thoughts - I've found it quite interesting that generally evryone has been basing Halo 2's sales potential on what Halo has done, San Andreas on what Vice City did... and so on... in these cases it just doesn't seem to hold any water...

Anyway, I reckon that Halo, if anything, will pick up a shedload of sales on the back of Halo 2...

SantaC

Halo is such a selling power franchise right now that Bungie can screw up Halo3 how much they want and still sell a shitload.

GamerXL

I look at it like a great sequel to a movie or a book. If you catch the second one and it was great, you'll naturally want to see where it all began.

With videogames this can be tricky since it is interactive and some older games don't age gracefully or may play completely different from a predecessor.

Mrbob

SantaCruZer said:
Halo is such a selling power franchise right now that Bungie can screw up Halo3 how much they want and still sell a shitload.

Good thing Bungie won't do that though.

Also, I think some of you are not giving Halo enough credit. The game is immensely popular. It's the best selling franchise this gen on consoles outside of GTA on a platform with only 15 million userbase!

GhaleonEB

Mrbob said:
Good thing Bungie won't do that though.

Also, I think some of you are not giving Halo enough credit. The game is immensely popular. It's the best selling franchise this gen on consoles outside of GTA on a platform with only 15 million userbase!

Another factoid about it's staying power: Halo was the best selling XBox game in 2002, 2003 and until November 9th, 2004.

miyuru

Halo is popular among non-gamers as well, just because of how many girlfriends have to deal with their boyfriends attending Halo parties, y'know?

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I think Halo slowly achieved mass market status.. I think Halo 2 and the hype machine behind it may have kicked it up a notch or two... right now, I think most of the people buying Halo 2 are people who allready had Xbox's.. if this turns into a massive system seller, Halo 1 will likely see a massive spike in sales too.

En-ou

MS has done well to make halo what it is, my boss who is about 50+ years old and prob never held a game controller just emailed me:

HELO 2? en-ou, did you get this new computer game.

MR.> G

hehe, i removed my real name and put my GAF nick

Top Bottom