• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Current world record holding coaster POVs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camp Lo

Banned
takabishabmdxk.gif

This is the closest I'll ever want to get to riding these things. No official footage, all front seat POV; how many have you rode?

Tallest steel roller coaster 456 ft (139 m), Longest steel roller coaster drops 418 ft (127 m) - Kingda Ka

Tallest wooden roller coaster 197 ft (60 m) - Colossos

Longest wooden roller coaster drops 176 ft (54 m), Fastest wooden roller coaster 70 mph (110 km/h) - El Toro

Fastest steel roller coaster 149 mph (240 km/h) - Formula Rossa

Longest steel roller coaster 8,133 ft (2,479 m) - Steel Dragon 2000

Longest wooden roller coaster 7,359 ft (2,243 m) - The Beast

Steepest steel roller coaster 121° - Takabisha
This coaster is the reason I made this thread; complete insanity

Steepest wooden roller coaster 81°, Most inversions on a wooden roller coaster 3 - Outlaw Run

Most inversions on a steel roller coaster 14 - The Smiler

Tallest roller coaster inversion 170 ft (52 m) dive drop - GateKeeper

Tallest vertical loop 160 ft (49 m) - Full Throttle

Balphon

I spent a few minutes wondering why anyone would care about a coaster's point of view before clicking on this topic.

LakeEarth

Except for the Mantis at Cedar Point. Don't ride that one unless you want dislocated vertebra.

My first time on it, I didn't sit on the bicycle seat properly when it started. When the g-forces really started pulling you down (and holy shit does it ever on the Mantis), I went to sit down on the seat and well... yeah right on my balls. So the rest of the ride was a battle for my legs to resist the g-forces and avoid sitting down, at all costs.

My legs were worthless the rest of the day. Never been so sore. Balls made it out of the ordeal unscathed.

AMUSIX

Hit a few on the list...Wooden and Steel are both awesome, both can deliver insane rides.

Also, Full Throttle is a shit coaster design. Absolutely horrible pacing, the ride has no flow, and you can hear it in the truncated screams on that video.

Ridden both el toro and kingda ka. Both amazing.

El toro is a better ride but kingda ka gives a thrill like no other. Lucky I went when the park was empty and got to ride it 4 or 5 times in a row

I remember going to great adventure when Kingda ka first came out the lines were crazy.What's the acceleration numbers for that ride?

I did the Texpress in South Korea. Never again. I'm not going on one of these ever again. Got dizzy for a whole day and had trouble sleeping for days after it.

Fugu

Takabisha is great. Hell, Fuji-Q's coasters are all great. Honestly, it's worth the trip to spend several hours in line for only a handful of rides.

Mr.Swag

Banned
I haven ridden any of those, but if anyone wants to pay for my plane ticket and park admissions, I'd be more than willing to review them all.

I still vividly remember my first time on The Incredible Hulk at Islands.
Great ride.

Butane123

I've only been on Outlaw Run from that list. Seemed pretty short, but it crazy and never let up during the ride. It was pretty smooth for a wooden coaster as well.

Aprico

Neo Member
I've had a fear of roller coasters since I was young, watching those links made them seem a lot less scary.

Watevaman

Haven't ridden any of these, but the vids got me thinking about bringing my helmet cam along next time I go to the theme park. Only problem is I don't know how I'd attach it to my head without wearing a helmet.

edit: nevermind, it's against the rules I guess

i love roller coasters. i grew up in hershey, pa and spent all of my summers at hershey park. i'm incredibly fond of amusement parks due to spending so much time at one growing up. it's always just such a great feeling for me.

anyway, i've been on formula rossa, kingda ka, and top thrill dragster. they're the 3 fastest roller coasters in the world (in that order). kingda ka and top thrill dragster are also the two tallest in the world, so I can say i've been on the two tallest as well. i think that's pretty cool :p

Symphonia

Banned
It makes me happy that the one with the record for most inversions is half-hour down the road from me. Alton Towers is, without a doubt, the best theme park I've been to. That said, I've not been to any in America but I do plan to one day - the rollercoasters over there look insane compared to what we have over here. For now, though, I'm happy with The Smiler being the world-record holder.

Camp Lo

Banned
It makes me happy that the one with the record for most inversions is half-hour down the road from me. Alton Towers is, without a doubt, the best theme park I've been to. That said, I've not been to any in America but I do plan to one day - the rollercoasters over there look insane compared to what we have over here. For now, though, I'm happy with The Smiler being the world-record holder.

That's the only one on the list I'd consider riding. It looks super fun.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Girlfriend took me to Six Flags Great Adventure in Jersey last year for the first time since I was a kid. Like the last time I went, Skull Mountain had just opened and they still had the Jet Theater ride. Well we go throughout and of course I was nervous about Kingda Ka. I love coasters, but the feeling of Zero-G was something I never got over as a kid and I'm just now starting to like it. Before Kingda Ka though, she took me on El Toro. Fuck what you heard, El Toro is more intense than Ka by a magnitude. That first drop into the first hill left me breathless. After that, we went on Kingda Ka where the whole train was laughing because I was cursing like a sailor all the way until the launch. Pretty view at the top though.

Camp Lo

Banned
Girlfriend took me to Six Flags Great Adventure in Jersey last year for the first time since I was a kid. Like the last time I went, Skull Mountain had just opened and they still had the Jet Theater ride. Well we go throughout and of course I was nervous about Kingda Ka. I love coasters, but the feeling of Zero-G was something I never got over as a kid and I'm just now starting to like it. Before Kingda Ka though, she took me on El Toro. Fuck what you heard, El Toro is more intense than Ka by a magnitude. That first drop into the first hill left me breathless. After that, we went on Kingda Ka where the whole train was laughing because I was cursing like a sailor all the way until the launch. Pretty view at the top though.

El Toro has the longest drop so I can just imagine that being more intense than Kingda Ka which looks pretty lame to me. I'm more intimidated by twists and turns like that Japanese ride than speed and height.

Wynnebeck

Banned
El Toro has the longest drop so I can just imagine that being more intense than Kingda Ka which looks pretty lame to me. I'm more intimidated by twists and turns like that Japanese ride than speed and height.

Didn't El Toro get beat out for steepest drop too by 1 degree?

I love roller coasters but I got too fat to ride the best ones out there (at least without being stapled down to hell). So far I'm 20 pounds down and already I feel great. Another 20 pounds and I will be ready to ride anything. Any other coaster fans in Arizona? Damn does it suck our best park is Castles and fucking Coasters. Ugh.

Camp Lo

Banned
Didn't El Toro get beat out for steepest drop too by 1 degree?

Yeah by a Taiwanese coaster called T Express. Outlaw crushed them both and a new coaster called Goliath is going to break records and that's gonna be at a Six Flags here in the states.

Speaking of making something just to break a record, Formula Rossa is fucking ridiculous. It's so gimmicky. I would give that to Kingda Ka personally.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Yeah by a Taiwanese coaster called T Express. Outlaw crushed them both and a new coaster called Goliath is going to break records and that's gonna be at a Six Flags here in the states.

Speaking of making something just to break a record, Formula Rossa is fucking ridiculous. It's so gimmicky. I would give that to Kingda Ka personally.

I just realized I rode T Express a few years ago (it's at Everland in South Korea btw ;) ), but year Goliath sounds like a monster. I'm surprised CoasterGAF hasn't put together a meetup at a park so we all can shoot the breeze and goof off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom