• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dale Earnhardt Jr. Burned in Crash...yipes..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripclawe

Banned
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20040718/us_nm/nascar_earnhardt_dc_1

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo5.jpg

HAOHMARU

Wow, I wonder how bad he got burnt? Supposedly he got "meduim burns" on his face and lower extremities. I hope he is ok...sucks that this wasn't even for a NASCAR event. He is one of my favorite drivers, hope he makes out ok.

There might go the endorsements if his face got burned real bad....hope not.

EDIT: After looking at the pictures again, I would have been scared shitless if I was in that car.

Matlock

Banned
bishoptl said:
Jeezus you people are loathsome.

Morbid and loathsome are two different things, fella!

Besides, if I didn't say it, someone else would.

GET A DALE JR. BUCKET AT KFC! CHICKEN CAPITAL, USA!

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Holy fuck that last pic makes me cringe. WTF would you do? er, get out of the car, duh. but still...

Pimpwerx

It looked bad, but I think he got out of it with relatively light damage. Someone asked, and no, not all racing series require fire suppression gear in the car. I think NASCAR mandated that recently, but not sure elsewhere. The protection is the driver suit and undergarments which are fire retardant. Pretty good too, as they did a live demonstration back in the 80's at some CART event. Lit a dummy on fire that had the suit and had it burn for a bit before extinguishing it to look at the damage. One of the best safety additions ever.

I think Dale was still lucky. From the onboard, you could see that he was still stunned after the impact, and took a bit to start moving to get out. But he got out quick enough, and the safety crew was quick. Apparently the fuel being used is causing fuel cell deterioration, which led to that fireball. Just a freak accident. Good to hear he escaped with a knee injury and burns. Coulda been worse. Hope he recovers and gets back on track. PEACE.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
True story:

Baskin Robins ("31 flavors" and Ice Cream chain store) sells custom ice cream cakes to order for birthday parties etc. They have lots of themed cakes that go with popular cartoons, TV shows and sports icons. They had a Dale Earnhardt cake with one of those frosting stickers of his head with some stars and stuff and it came with a little #3 toy car on top.

A few weeks after he died in the crash, we had gone in for some ice cream, they had left his page in the sample book on the counter (they were paper in plastic sleeves; easily removeable) and put a fat ass red "DISCONTINUED" sticker on the corner of it.
:( :( :( :(

Shinobi

I forgot that this race was on (I'm a big ALMS fan). I saw the video from inside the car when he got engulfed and was absolutely stunned. Even when he was alight he really wasn't moving too hard. Only after several seconds passed did he finally come to, managing to get the hell out of that car (which was a total charboiled wreck).

In a semi-related note, Marko Martin had a pretty nasty crash at the rally of Argentina. You'd never know he drove a Focus after looking at what was left of it.

MASB

scola said:
True story:

Baskin Robins ("31 flavors" and Ice Cream chain store) sells custom ice cream cakes to order for birthday parties etc. They have lots of themed cakes that go with popular cartoons, TV shows and sports icons. They had a Dale Earnhardt cake with one of those frosting stickers of his head with some stars and stuff and it came with a little #3 toy car on top.

A few weeks after he died in the crash, we had gone in for some ice cream, they had left his page in the sample book on the counter (they were paper in plastic sleeves; easily removeable) and put a fat ass red "DISCONTINUED" sticker on the corner of it.
:( :( :( :(
Aw, that's kind of sad and ironic at the same time. Glad Jr. came out of it as good as he did. I can't imagine how scary and surreal it must be, to have fire all around you.

LakeEarth

Dekajelly said:
Not a patch on Jos Verstappen's fire at the 1994 German GP at Hockenheim.
Yikes_anim.gif

verstappen2.jpg

Did he survive that?

(watched the video) Okay he lived. That was quick too, the guys with the extinguishers really did act quick.

Shinobi

Heh, that UKF1 site is pretty cool...though I wish they'd show more then just crashes. I want vids showing hairpin slides, big jumps and slick passing. Oh yeah, shame they don't have any ALMS vids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom