• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daniel Dae Kim in Talks To Replace Ed Skrein in 'Hellboy' Reboot

Link.

daniel_dae_kim9sk15.jpg

Daniel Dae Kim, who recently left CBS' Hawaii Five-O, is in negotiations to join the cast of Lionsgate and Millennium's Hellboy reboot.

Kim will step into the role recently left vacant by Ed Skrein after an outcry over whitewashing a Asian-American character.

Kim will play Major Ben Daimio, a rugged military member of the bureau for paranormal research and defense who, due to a supernatural encounter, can turn into a jaguar when angered or in pain. The character is Japanese-American in the Hellboy comics by creator Mike Mignola.

Skrein had nabbed the role in August but, after a social media protest, made the unprecedented move to step down later that month.

”It is clear that representing this character in a culturally accurate way holds significance for people, and that to neglect this responsibility would continue a worrying tendency to obscure ethnic minority stories and voice in the Arts. I feel it is important to honour and respect that," he said in a statement.

Lionsgate concurred, saying ”It was not our intent to be insensitive to issues of authenticity and ethnicity, and we will look to recast the part with an actor more consistent with the character in the source material."

Kim is Korean-American. And the actor is no stranger to standing up for his beliefs. In June, Kim quit Hawaii Five-O after a salary dispute with CBS; he had been seeking equal pay to the show's stars, Alex O'Loughlin and Scott Caan. His quitting, along with co-star Grace Park, left the show temporarily without Asian regulars.

David Harbour (Stranger Things) is starring in Hellboy, which reboots the franchise centered on the demonic hero from the Mignola comic books. Game of Thrones director Neil Marshall is helming the project.

Kim has been acting since the early 1990s and appeared on shows such as ER and Angel. He became a known quantity and star thanks to his breakout work on ABC's Lost, and co-starred on Five-O since it launched in 2010.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
It is clear that representing this character in a culturally accurate way holds significance for people, and that to neglect this responsibility would continue a worrying tendency to obscure ethnic minority stories and voice in the Arts. I feel it is important to honour and respect that,” he said in a statement.

Japanese, Korean, whatever. It's all Asia

I'm glad to hear it but I'm never gonna be able to shake my disappointment that del Toro didn't get to make his Hellboy 3.

Yeah man. That was some bullshit on Mike Mignolas part. He didn't want the movies to end before he could end his comics.

Just have two ending. I look forward to this, but Del Toros Hellboy movies are great. The second part is really fantastic.

Never read the comics, so I have no idea how this darker take will pan out.

Sinople

What's funny is that it's more likely to cause an uproar from Japan
ese right-wing netizens
than a white actor.

Mariolee

Good shit. Of course there's the "any Asian" problem but at this point this is a significant improvement from white washing.

What's funny is that it's more likely to cause an uproar from Japan
ese right-wing netizens
than a white actor.

Yeah but Japanese people have an entire Japanese movie industry that does a very good job of representing Japanese people to themselves. It's not that their opinion shouldn't matter at all, it's that Japanese public opinion shouldn't be relied upon to somehow negate the issues experienced by Asian-Americans.

Good on Ed Skrein for making some room. There have been a bunch of actors lately who should have done the same. Daniel Dae Kim is going to be awesome.

wandering

Banned
Honest question, how does this differ from a German or British actor playing an American, or vice versa?

because a bunch of non-Asian-American people are going to get very very particular about how historical grudges and Asian nationalism are more important than Asian American representation

Honest question, how does this differ from a German or British actor playing an American, or vice versa?

That's sort of how I have seen it, personally. I personally have no issue with a Korean American playing a Japanese American in an American production. Like I had no issue with the Welsh Christian Bale playing the American Bruce Wayne. I can see this particular role having some issues though since the Japanese part plays a role in his back story.

I like how he landed on his feet after that awful Hawaii five 0 debacle

A shame Grace Park has still been left behind tho.

Was rooting for them both

Top Bottom