• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

Just picked up my copy from Target-I've been out of the loop and avoiding most promotion about this game, so I was surprised that I got a free strategy guide from Target with this.

Xiraiya

Is there yet a mod to replace Xbox button icons with Playstation icons on PC?

Probably not for awhile, DS2 had to rely on Durante's stuff to swap/mod textures and last I checked he didn't update to DX11 for SOTFS so we might just be shit out of luck on DS3.

I could be wrong though.

Lum1n3s

Managed to get my Platinum Trophy for DS2 on time and boy did I enjoy that game. Can't wait to play this once I get off of work.

Mollymauk

Yep, Amazon messed up my order. Again. Game won't be here until god knows when. Not today anyway.

I had a chat with customer service and they told me that it was due to overwhelming amount of pre-orders, and the fact that it would be delayed two days was on the invoice before I placed my order. Of course I didn't see it, because why would I feel like I needed to look since it was January.

I will be sure to check if I pre-order from them again. smh

MegaMelon

I still love my Halberd but the much faster paced nature of this game really hampers its viability. And mobs of enemies attacking when you can only hit one with the light attack doesn't help.

I tried out the Lothric Knight Sword and wow is it much better. Might have to stick to this.

Been playing DS2 these past couple of days and DS3 feels so much faster. I feel like a regain stamina incredibly fast. Just got to the shrine.

I enjoyed fighting that big boy crystal lizard. So damn cool.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I dont get it, im supposed to have gotten
Loretta's Bone
but I dont see it anyware in my inventory. in the area where the internet says it is ive already gotten everything. Help?

Moff

is it advisable to use the fire gem with the katana?
it seems to lose it's scaling but gives some fire damage
I am a pyromancer if that makes any difference

Sullichin

I still love my Halberd but the much faster paced nature of this game really hampers its viability. And mobs of enemies attacking when you can only hit one with the light attack doesn't help.

I tried out the Lothric Knight Sword and wow is it much better. Might have to stick to this.

Fell asleep farming that sword last night. I got it no problem on another character, and now it won't drop. :(

It's an awesome weapon.

How does one obtain this magical sword?

I got some Lothric armor as a drop, but no sword... noooooo.... :(

Sullichin

How does one obtain this magical sword?

I got some Lothric armor as a drop, but no sword... noooooo.... :(
The same knights that drop the armor can drop it. Backtracking from the boss is a good place to farm. They can drop embers as well. And they are fun as hell to fight.

UberLevi

Guys, I'm having loads of fun gameplay wise, but please tell me
the level design and enemy design really surprises and amazes me
later on, because
High Wall of Lothric
and
Undead Settlement
both feel really done and I'm waiting for something new.

Phenomena

Played around two hours and two times I've had the game crash on me (PS4) with the message that the game is corrupt, and one time the loading into Firelink shrine never ended so I had to personally close the application.

Has anyone else run into this problem or is my PS4 fucked?

E92 M3

Holy shit. I was just running around for an hour and couldn't find a bonfire, but then I opened the shortcut to the
Cleansing chapel
. My adrenaline is still pumping. I was out of Estus flasks the last few minutes, what a feeling.

The best feeling is finding a bonfire in a time of desperation.

later on, because
High Wall of Lothric
and
Undead Settlement

Plenty of exciting areas ahead. In fact, I didn't dislike a single one.

Neoweee

later on, because
High Wall of Lothric
and
Undead Settlement

It absolutely does. I thought the same thing yesterday during my replay, but the first ~30% or so is the weakest.

fozzy

Quick question about nearest bonfire to the first main boss.

Is it up in the tower with the dead end and titanite shard? Just up and after the first Knight.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Second boss down. Started out as a Knight with STR but now I'm mostly in light armor running DEX for Uchigatana haha. Might try out a few different weapons later though. I'm loving that the weapon skills make everything feel a bit more unique.

later on, because
High Wall of Lothric
and
Undead Settlement

I'd set your expectations low, there's only one "new" area in the game.

I bought the Tower Key for the tower behind Firelink Shrine. When I enter the
room with the lift
, how do I
get the item on the coffin to the left? I tried jumping down to it, but it forces me away as if that's not a ledge you can land on. I made it all the way down to the bottom on the right and got the Estus ring, but I want the other item too.

Never mind, got it. Fuck me; that required
a very precise roll.

MGrant

About 4 hours in now, really enjoying it. So far I've done (first two areas after the intro spoiler)
High Wall of Lothric
and
the path in Undead Settlement that leads to Cursed Greatwood
. I'm using the Astora Straight Sword and a Str/Fth Knight so far, and haven't really had any problems except with
Dark Spirit Holy Knight Hodrick,
who was pretty annoying to fight in the area you encounter him in.

I like the enemy designs a lot, and the three bosses have been mostly great. I like that I don't have to worry about torches or losing life on death, as those were one of the things about DS2 that just made progression a chore. The
fat priests/mages
have creepy-ass laughter.

where is the broadsword?

It's in the second area (
High Wall of Lothric
, somewhere off the main path from what I can remember.

Vuze

I bought the Tower Key for the tower behind Firelink Shrine. When I enter the
room with the lift
, how do I
get the item on the coffin to the left? I tried jumping down to it, but it forces me away as if that's not a ledge you can land on. I made it all the way down to the bottom on the right and got the Estus ring, but I want the other item too.
Yeah it's a bit tricky but you can jump, land and grab it. Actually I slipped off the coffin as well and died shortly after I got the stuff :p

Onemic

Im a pyro too. I used the fire gem and on my +1 Uchigatana and it does a sizeable amount more damage. I guess its because of the ring that increases fire damage? Im not sure if the fire dmg also scales with int/faith.

Quick question for the first area: why is there always a fog gate in
Firelink Shrine
that stops me from getting out every time I die to
katana dude
. I need to sit at the bonfire or run around like an idiot for it to go away, but it doesn't always work immediately

Also, I thought I was decent at these games but apparently not, lol.

lionpants

It came down to the last pixel but I managed to one shot (5th or 6th boss spoiler)
the first form of abyss watchers lol. When the cutscene played I was thinking, "that's it right? Right? It can't be. Oh shit!" Tried again and the first form isn't bad using the red phantom to draw some aggro. The flame effects are super distracting on that second phase I feel. Sometimes I think I get hit and I don't and other times when I'm sure I didn't, I do. I beat Maria already From, leave me alone.

Pretty interesting concept for a boss.
My fave move that boss is does is the
slide slash followed by the firewall behind him
- gets me every time. :D

Quick question for the first area: why is there always a fog gate in
Firelink Shrine
that stops me from getting out every time I die to
katana dude

Fog gate is there because the outside area is still loading. Pretty sure they did this so that
Firelink
loading would be faster. Since 99% of the time you wont go outside.

aravuus

Ran across some
knight slayer somethingsomething
NPC invader, fucker kept dealing some pretty insane damage. Survived with no estus flasks and 12 hp left lol.

Fuck the
catacombs

Im a pyro too. I used the fire gem and on my +1 Uchigatana and it does a sizeable amount more damage. I guess its because of the ring that increases fire damage? Im not sure if the fire dmg also scales with int/faith.

I'm also curious about this now, as I'm also a pyromancer. Does levelling up INT/FAI help with fire infused weapons?

Soulflarz

Banned
1hr20m till my test
~3.5hr till I can play DS3 for 11 hours straight to get ahead of you guys and keep helping

the abyss watchers
are kicking my ass. hate it when you think it's over and then bam, here's part two. fuck me.

Well
Heres a few tips!
-Parry, 2h your parry wep, strong hit. Crazy damage output
-They fight each other if you avoid them until a 3rd comes, use that to heal and such
-For the fire form, just parry and play safe, it's a glorified mob. You've killed harder to get here.

Really, as long as you don't fight at a point that could get you ganked, it's a free win.

the abyss watchers
are kicking my ass. hate it when you think it's over and then bam, here's part two. fuck me.

That's something that annoyed me about many bosses. There's far more phase 1 and 2 bosses it feels this time around. Or at least more clearly displayed phases where there's an obvious change

Started as a Pyromancer, then just decided to restart as a Knight since I was having to melee so much anyway. Got to
Farron Keep
and decided to try out "hard mode".

My god Sorcery is shit, and not because of the damage. Miyazaki, in his infinite wisdom decided to increase enemy speed to up to Bloodbone levels at times (which includes swarms of enemies at that speed), without adjusting the casting speed of the Sorcery spells. DEX and casting speed items do not in any way compensate. It's just stupid. You basically have to use the spells on one enemy at a time and hope that you can kill them with two-hits at most before they are in your face and hope that you don't grab more enemies at the same time.

Meanwhile, running around with a flame katana or raw claymore = easy mode.

Also not sold at all on the look of the game. It definitely has better "graphics" than the previous games, but there's too much clutter for the sake of simply tossing more shit on the screen, without any artistic merit, and it looks like it was run through a greyscale filter in most areas. Some of the areas are chalice dungeon tier quality too in the way they look.

Question, if i make my katana/uchi into a fire weapon, does it lose its bleed ability? Or does just making it a fire weapon reduce scaling?

cyba89

Mostly done with the first two main areas.
The second one was really cool with the giant on the tower who can help you or the onion knight coop quest.
Bosses are a tad disappointing so far. The boss design is great, but I beat every boss so far in maximum two attempts. None of the early bosses seem to be as hard as Father Gascoigne for example. But I'm sure there will be some really tough ones later on.

Dutchman

Neo Member

There's a gem to undo infusions. Especially in the start it's a good idea to either gem your weapon raw or elemental, later when you your dex/str stat is high scaling will get better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom