• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

neoemonk

Who here is part of the shieldless community in Dark Souls 3?

Who here does not need a shield to face the horrors?

WHO HERE TWO HANDED SWORD BRO?!

After playing Bloodborne as much as I did it feels weird going back to a shield, but I played Dark Souls 2 as a dual wield caster with a sword in one hand and a staff in the other.

I was all turtle in Demon's and Dark and thought people that didn't use shields were crazy but now I can't imagine using one.

Onemic

After playing Bloodborne as much as I did it feels weird going back to a shield, but I played Dark Souls 2 as a dual wield caster with a sword in one hand and a staff in the other.

I was all turtle in Demon's and Dark and thought people that didn't use shields were crazy but now I can't imagine using one.

I two hand all day. Either that or have one hand katana and one hand pyromancy flame

I know you probably cant go there, but damn lol

4B05A25BB8E62B7298DEC9808678554F2E9817CE

PC version btw.

I noticed that too.

DS3 in general is a step below BB technically when it comes to the graphics. The main culprit seems to be the mapping techniques used for textures in the game. DS3 textures seem to be flat a lot of the time, whereas in BB they're always using some type of bump or normal maps. Also the resolution for effects in DS3 is lower than in BB as well. Luckily the art direction is on point.

In Dark Souls 1, I played a STR build with kickass Pyromancy to cheese everything, since it didn't scale off anything but the upgrades to the Pyro Flame.

I would like to play a similar character in Dark Souls 3: mainly melee with Pyromancy as a secondary attack. How should I start building my character? Should I go DEX or STR?

Pyro scales off both Faith and Intelligence in this game, so just go with whatever weapon you like. Long sword is super versatile and can be had early. The very first enemy I killed after the tutorial boss dropped it for me.

Sullichin

Need help on how to get to an item in the R
oad of
S
acrifices

There's an old
ruined keep area with some sages and there's an item on top of some broken stairs but I have no idea how to get there. I've looked all over. And there's a a locked door by the knight which has a crystal lizard there. Where do I go to unlock it? Farron Keep?

For your second point, yes.
There's a corridor near the Farron Perimiter bonfire that loops back around to the other side where that big crystal lizard is.

NEO0MJ

1. use broadsword
  2. upgrade it and stuff
  3. rek

I bet you used Zweihänder in DaS1 and Ludwig's Holy Blade in Bloodborne :p

Yeah I've been really happy with weapon (and shield) variety so far. The special attacks just add that extra bit of flare to an already impressive arsenal, and improves the replayability over previous games, I bet... I'm totally going to do a whip playthrough at some point.

I would have loved to try the whip but I'm planning on mainly going strength this first playthrough. Used Skill/Dex weapons too many times in past games.

taybul

Is there a way to unlock the door that looks like it leads to another elevator at the High Wall of Lothric? It's
on the same floor where the two-handed axe wielder is, before the path that leads you to the thief you free with the cell key. Essentially three floors down from the second bonfire.

That's the one with a corpse sitting against it, right? I figured that couldn't be opened.

Onemic

Pyro scales off both Faith and Intelligence in this game, so just go with whatever weapon you like. Long sword is super versatile and can be had early. The very first enemy I killed after the tutorial boss dropped it for me.

Do infused weapons(fire) scale of int/faith too?

Jobbs

Banned
I bet you used Zweihänder in DaS1 and Ludwig's Holy Blade in Bloodborne :p

as far as I know I'm the only one championing the broadsword right now. is it a thing? I just noticed on my own that it seems really good now.

in JP, everyone was using ultra great swords, especially FUME.

in bloodborne I used kirkhammer all the way thru including DLC

in DS1 I did many plays but my first one I was a cleric and I used the mace

Joey Ravn

Banned

Should I go with a DEX or STR build with some Intelligence and Faith on the side? I mean, is the bonus to Pyromancy really worth pursuing, or am I better off just sprinkling some points here and there just to make it keep up damage-wise?

eyesradar

as far as I know I'm the only one championing the broadsword right now. is it a thing? I just noticed on my own that it seems really good now.

After plat the game I can say PVE-wise the best weapon hands down is the Dark Blade. FumeUGS is still viable in PVP tho the nerf bat hit pretty hard 1.03

On PS4 and feeling stupid. How do I dash?

Hold circle to run, just watch your Stamina. Did you mean Bloodborne style dodging? Normally you roll on this game but some weapon arts allow you to dodge Bloodborne style at the cost of FP(mana).

Should I go with a DEX or STR build with some Intelligence and Faith on the side? I mean, is the bonus to Pyromancy really worth pursuing, or am I better off just sprinkling some points here and there just to make it keep up damage-wise?

I honestly don't know. I would just raise STR and DEX to meet the requirements for whatever weapon you plan to use. Then if you find Pyro spells you want to use or can infuse a weapon to scale with Faith or Int then level up those stats.

NEO0MJ

Can you respec in DS3?

Yes.

Oh, I thought you had a general idea on which weapon is considered best early game. I plan on using the Machete right now. Just need +2 more strength.

dawid

Is it worth it to get the first healing spell as a Knight and use an ashen flask for that? Or should i just stick to HP-estus flasks?

purg3

slept with Malkin
After plat the game I can say PVE-wise the best weapon hands down is the Dark Blade. FumeUGS is still viable in PVP tho the nerf bat hit pretty hard 1.03

Agree, I love the Dark Blade. That combo capability is lol. I switched from a GS to this and finished the game with it.

NEO0MJ

Hold circle to run, just watch your Stamina. Did you mean Bloodborne style dodging? Normally you roll on this game but some weapon arts allow you to dodge Bloodborne style at the cost of FP(mana).

How much invincibility do you get on those, anyway? I feel it's way too good, considering you can dash around so many times without running out of FP and with barely any lag between them.

Sanctuary

I two hand all day. Either that or have one hand katana and one hand pyromancy flame

I noticed that too.

DS3 in general is a step below BB technically when it comes to the graphics. The main culprit seems to be the mapping techniques used for textures in the game. DS3 textures seem to be flat a lot of the time, whereas in BB they're always using some type of bump or normal maps. Also the resolution for effects in DS3 is lower than in BB as well. Luckily the art direction is on point.

Yes, they are very flat more often than not...

Well, that explains the patch notes nerf for Fume.

Even though it's not Dark Souls 3 that I am playing right now, but Dark Souls 2. For some reason I can't seem to backstab enemies. You go behind the back of a baddie and hold RB, right? Because that's not working for me. Or must I unequip the shield for that?

eyesradar

Even though it's not Dark Souls 3 that I am playing right now, but Dark Souls 2. For some reason I can't seem to backstab enemies. You go behind the back of a baddie and hold RB, right? Because that's not working for me. Or must I unequip the shield for that?

Just make sure you are behind and tap r1

How much invincibility do you get on those, anyway? I feel it's way too good, considering you can dash around so many times without running out of FP and with barely any lag between them.

Not sure, I haven't gotten any weapons that have that battle art. Though I did just pick up a small ace that has it. Will definitely try it out.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
any reason at all to NOT do the
hollow questline for the free levels
? I dont care about looks, im always in armor anyway

Something like this has probably been asked already. So sorry if that is the case, but I am on the train home and hoping someone could answer this, so when I get home I can crack straight on with this game.

I finished and loved Bloodborne and have played both Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2, but never finished either. I much prefer the faster feel of Bloodborne. Is there a class that someone could recommend that would be similar to that. I used the Saw Cleaver and mainly levelled up strength, vitality and endurance. I am not really one to get deep into different builds etc. and like to keep it simple. Sorry if this is a bit vague, but any help would be much appreciated.

JKTrix

Old lady in the shrine says to bring her souls, so I sold her the soul of the ice boss. Guess that's not what I was supposed to do with that...

Mendrox

Kirkhammer is the best weapon in any Souls game. So much power.

Loved it. Love it.

Sadly haven't found something similiar in Dark Souls 3 in my three playthroughs. ;_;

Alright, I'm lost. Where do I go after I beat
Curse-Rotted Wood
and give the
Transposing Kiln to Ludleth
?

Tower where
Onion Knight, Siegfried
was and take the elevator down.

Something like this has probably been asked already. So sorry if that is the case, but I am on the train home and hoping someone could answer this, so when I get home I can crack straight on with this game.

I finished and loved Bloodborne and have played both Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2, but never finished either. I much prefer the faster feel of Bloodborne. Is there a class that someone could recommend that would be similar to that. I used the Saw Cleaver and mainly levelled up strength, vitality and endurance. I am not really one to get deep into different builds etc. and like to keep it simple. Sorry if this is a bit vague, but any help would be much appreciated.

Choose Mercenary, level up Vigor, Endurance, and Strength or Dexterity (probably Dex as Dex weapons are usually faster) . Vitality as needed for equip loads. Don't wear heavy armor and keep an eye out for weapons whose battle art gives you the Bloodborne dodge.

Tenebrous

Old lady in the shrine says to bring her souls, so I sold her the soul of the ice boss. Guess that's not what I was supposed to do with that...

I believe the lady buys souls for the cost you can use them for anyway. I've used all mine so far... Never needed them in 1, so fingers crossed I don't need them this time, either.

Mendrox

JebaćBiedę;200796742 said:
1:30h in and I can't equip anything I find.

Is it supposed to be this way?

No not at all. Depends on what class you started and what stats you pumped up till now.

Onemic

Yes, they are very flat more often than not...

hair is also worse in DS3 as well.

I wonder how much of this has to do with the game releasing for X1. It's on the same engine so you would think that on a technical level they would be graphically equivalent.

So....in an act of utter stupidity, I accidentally killed
the Firekeeper. Does she come back, like the Emerald Herald would eventually in DS2? Or am I actually screwed?

Usually I'm the one to tell people to be extra careful around NPCs. But I just had to be stupid testing out my Claymore drop attack right near her...

Mendrox

I believe the lady buys souls for the cost you can use them for anyway. I've used all mine so far... Never needed them in 1, so fingers crossed I don't need them this time, either.

Don't use up boss souls without trading them for new magic or boss weapons!!!

So....in an act of utter stupidity, I accidentally killed
the Firekeeper. Does she come back, like the Emerald Herald would eventually in DS2? Or am I actually screwed?

Usually I'm the one to tell people to be extra careful around NPCs. But I just had to be stupid testing out my Claymore drop attack right near her...

Yes she does no worries.

In Dark Souls 1, I played a STR build with kickass Pyromancy to cheese everything, since it didn't scale off anything but the upgrades to the Pyro Flame.

I would like to play a similar character in Dark Souls 3: mainly melee with Pyromancy as a secondary attack. How should I start building my character? Should I go DEX or STR?

I'm playing as a Pyromancer, but it doesn't work that way this time. Pyromancy scales with both INT and FAI, so you have to invest in both of those. So forget about being amazing at both melee and pyromancy. I'm level 32, and haven't spent any souls on STR yet. I'm using a non-scaling axe I found early on. I may have to start boosting my STR at least a bit soon though, as I have a feeling this weapon won't be viable soon.

Second area NPC spoilers
The reunion with Siegmeyer was incredible! My man is just chilling on the steps, then i mess up and trigger the red fire demon dude, and Siegmeyer goes something like "oh bother, time to fight" and jumps on in. Then I get a pint of ale as a reward! Just incredible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom