• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Don't use up boss souls without trading them for new magic or boss weapons!!!

this isnt good advice at all. the correct advice is "dont use boss souls without first finding out if you want the spell or the weapon they create"

which 90% of the time, you dont

Question, if you were really, really good at timing visceral attacks in Bloodbourne would that translate to parrying in Souls games? Never played them before.

Sullichin

When did you guys buy the Tower Key? Is it a way to get to the roof without using the key?

You can get on the roof by running up the tree next to it and jumping off. Pretty easy. You can use this to get the estus shard and
covetous silver serpent ring behind an illusory wall
, but you can't get the stuff in the tower without buying the key.

Needham

as far as I know I'm the only one championing the broadsword right now. is it a thing? I just noticed on my own that it seems really good now.
I like the broad sword, it was great in Dark Souls 2 as well. It's fast and has a wide arc so it's hard to miss with. Doesn't scale well, but that just saves you more points for vitality and endurance. I started using it immediately as soon as I found one. I'll try the more interesting weapons later.

Mendrox

Never encountered that. Can I get directions? I have 4 bonfires unlocked at Undead Settlement not counting
Pit of Hollows

Oh lord let me remember from my japanese playthrough ehh...

Use the bonfire where you can go to the right into the sewers. Go past the rats and everything and take the ladder up. See the bridge in front of you? Cross it (watch out for the guys that throw their pots at you!) run past them, just follow the way and there is the tower I guess. The other way would be to the cemetry where you get hit by spears. That is the wrong way. The other way is the correct one.

Wait for the NPC to come the elevator up. Take the elevator to the top. Talk to the NPC. Get down again, but jump down from the elevator to another level of the tower where the first NPC will be again. If you do everything here, you can go back and take the elevator down where the first NPC came from. Here is the correct way. The tree boss was optional.

this isnt good advice at all. the correct advice is "dont use boss souls without first finding out if you want the spell or the weapon they create"

which 90% of the time, you dont

Don't listen to him guys or else some of you will have to do more than two full playthroughs to get the platinum trophy. At the endgame you can farm souls way faster than using the boss souls up - using them is a waste of resource. Use them for the intended way - getting better weapons (or every weapon and spell at all which is impossible without trading every soul TWICE!)

Kaibutsu

NtFvzQ4.png
[/code]

Oh wow, now i'm super disappointed in the artbook the US got... I didn't realize that European version was full size...

CfymFEzWwAACi5X.jpg

Does the
mimic
drop a
Dark-infused Axe?

I cheesed it with the dragon but also got killed and one of the treasures I picked up was this item when I went back - but it wasn't in the enemies original location it was under the dragon, but it is now dead.

A tip for people who want to invade a lot. Do not over-level a weapon! I got to end game with SL of 40 but once I got to +10 I basically could not invade anymore.

Sullichin

Question, if you were really, really good at timing visceral attacks in Bloodbourne would that translate to parrying in Souls games? Never played them before.

Yeah kind of. A lot of the bosses and big enemies have pretty much the same visceral attack mechanic where you can stun them after doing enough damage and follow up with a visceral attack.

Shield parries are the same concept as doing it with your gun in Bloodborne. You parry right when the enemy's weapon is about to hit you.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Don't listen to him guys or else some of you will have to do more than two full playthroughs to get the platinum trophy.

ah yes that important platinum trophy... on STEAM

at least specify that you are talking about achievements / trophies and little else when you say "omg dont use boss souls". Gameplay wise what I said is absolutely true

Jesus, I'm struggling with the first boss after the tutorial. I've probably died 15 times to this thing already. Starting to doubt that I'm not leveled up enough or something. I really want to just do co-op with someone to beat it and then move on at this point. FeelsBad :( haha

I've been leveling up my spear and increased my level a couple. I find farming for souls in this area
High Wall
to take forever, so I'm really trying to avoid that.

brainslug

Damn, The A
byss
W
atchers
was pretty cool fight. Died a couple of times on the first phase, but killed the second on my first try.

Rhaknar

Jesus, I'm struggling with the first boss after the tutorial. I've probably died 15 times to this thing already. Starting to doubt that I'm not leveled up enough or something. I really want to just do co-op with someone to beat it and then move on at this point. FeelsBad :( haha

I've been leveling up my spear and increased my level a couple. I find farming for souls in this area
High Wall

just stay under him

Mendrox

ah yes that important platinum trophy... on STEAM

at least specify that you are talking about achievements / trophies and little else when you say "omg dont use boss souls". Gameplay wise what I said is absolutely true

No it's still not true, because 90% is just bullshit and you know it. There are at least 7 weapons and 3 spells that are way more worth than your usual "lol 20.000 souls have fun, which you could have farmed in less than 4 minutes because we give you another easy soul farm way which is too obvious!".

Trading a boss soul for souls was never good and will never be good.

E92 M3

I can safely say that
Frost Knights
are the hardest enemies in the whole franchise. Those fuckers are fast, dangerous and have tons of stamina.

rdytoroll

High Wall

Leveling in general is much slower, at least it feels like that to me

Randam

ARRGH. Fuck this
Dragon tentacle dude on the roof! The roof is too small to really engage him and his tentacles obscure the screen so I can't get a good read on his attacks. I tried luring him back to the ladder to drop attack on him and he grabbed me off the ladder.
:/

just run up to him and kill him before he turns.

Citadel

I can't decide between medium SSAO and high. I have a really strange and intense love the dark shadow that surrounds the character with SSAO in general. Medium has that, but high makes the entire game look smooth.

But (seriously) also, i seem to be getting random micro-stuttering that I didn't get with Dark Souls 2, usually when traveling into new open areas, but never in combat. Anyone else seeing this? Other than that, game runs very smooth. Solid 60fps with an R9 290. Just beat that first knight after
pulling the sword out of him

The environments are incredible. Seeing the decrepit castle in the distance masked by the intense DOF gives me such an eerie vibe. This is going to be good.

Mohasus

Do I need to do something other than walk to go through illusory walls?

I see some messages about them and I think they are mocking me because I can't do shit.

Onemic

Do I need to do something other than walk to go through illusory walls?

I see some messages about them and I think they are mocking me because I can't do shit.

Some messages are just there to fuck with you. The beauty of the souls messaging system.

Yeah kind of. A lot of the bosses and big enemies have pretty much the same visceral attack mechanic where you can stun them after doing enough damage and follow up with a visceral attack.

Shield parries are the same concept as doing it with your gun in Bloodborne. You parry right when the enemy's weapon is about to hit you.

Alright awesome, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom