• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't played yet but is parrying more like DS1 or 2? I could never get the timing down in 2.

Parrying in DS3 is harder than any other game in the series. It's still fairly useful for pvp, but parrying in PVE is VERY difficult. Not only is the timing window very small, but the lead up to enemy attacks is much shorter in this game because of how sped up the combat is (Bloodborne influence).

Audioboxer

I've gone back to my knight/quality playthrough. Thank goodness I kept the save. Pyro is decent, but there's just too many weapons not to try out on first playthrough.

Going for 40/10/20/40/40/40/9/9/7. Ends up SL 126, so if PVP meta stops at 125 I'll just shave something off vitality. If I find some nice armour sets I can do < 70% maybe take more off vit and pump some faith to get a spell. Warrior would end up a little more effecient if I stick to that initial build, but luck is just a waste. Better having a little more attunement for FP, even if just for weapon specials.

Heading into 2nd boss now.

So this third boss
Greatwood
is starting to get annoying. The boss itself is actually pretty easy for the most part but
taking the patch past the dude launching spears at you is a pain.
About 1 in 10 runs end up with me even getting to the tree instead of getting stuck at the doorway and mashed.

You can stop that from happening if you find a way up there

So this third boss
Greatwood
is starting to get annoying. The boss itself is actually pretty easy for the most part but
About 1 in 10 runs end up with me even getting to the tree instead of getting stuck at the doorway and mashed.

Yeah, it's starting to remind me of DeS, where the areas are hard and very well-designed, but the bosses are kinda crappy. Also, I honestly got lost in the
Undead Settlement
, and it looks like I'm about to as well in the
swamp in the Road of Sacrifices

Mandelbo

So this third boss
Greatwood

Open the door to the right of the arena. There's a bonfire relatively close to it that allows you to bypass the spears. You can also stop them being thrown at you!

AngryMoth

Game is unplayable for me on pc due it crashing every time I try to leave the first boss arena. Requested a refund, now to try to the ps4 version I guess...

tariniel

What are the most important stats for a STR build?

Right now I just started and have 20 Vigor, 20 Strength. Not sure if I should work on Endurance or Vitality next.

I'm using the Warrior starting axe but I plan to use a bigger/better weapon whenever I can find one. I recently learned where the Claymore is so I'll probably go get it when I get home from work. What are the best STR weapons in the game?

Game is unplayable for me on pc due it crashing every time I try to leave the first boss arena. Requested a refund, now to try to the ps4 version I guess...

Did you already try setting lighting to low, and restarting your PC? Doing both of those things fixed every problem I had with the game.

Im having such a hard time with the Katana guy in Firelink Shrine. Anyone have any tips? Im a level 19 Assassin with 16 Dex.

I've read a lot of people have success with luring him into running off the edge. You can reload and get his drops if he dies this way. Personally I beat him with jumping attacks. Wait until he is not in the parry stance, bait an attack, step back and do a jump attack. Or just a few quick R1 swings will work too. He's not so bad if you bait and punish.

Audioboxer

Im having such a hard time with the Katana guy in Firelink Shrine. Anyone have any tips? Im a level 19 Assassin with 16 Dex.

If you get on the roof via jump trick, or paying for key, you can snipe his health down.

Or just roll around like mad and hope he suicides off cliff.

Parrying in DS3 is harder than any other game in the series. It's still fairly useful for pvp, but parrying in PVE is VERY difficult. Not only is the timing window very small, but the lead up to enemy attacks is much shorter in this game because of how sped up the combat is (Bloodborne influence).

Bloodborne parrying was simply amazing. I'm playing the souls games without shield and "fastest" rolling but I don"t even consider parries.

Parry him, kick him off the edge, stunlock him with any weapon and push him off the edge, cheese him with magic, push him off the edge with force.

Animator

Runs smooth as butter on mine, zero crashes. I think th etrick is to not use the latest nvidia drivers.

Cess007

I've played a bit, and reached the 3rd bonfire i think. Haven't died that much (just a couple of times, i think) but i find adjusting to the timing of the roll very hard as i was being used to Bloodborne.

And i suck at parrying lol

Tenebrous

Curious to see how people are doing in terms of Estus. I'm at
the fourth bonfire in Irithyll of the Boreal Valley, and I have 9 charges of Estus+3.

I think I'm the only person playing on PC who's had no issues whatsoever. 14 hours in, no crashes, no hangs, 60fps solid (apart from when looting).

-Ryn

Banned
Just bought the game and I'm so HYPED!! Can't wait to get off work to play this. Thinking I'll either start as a Knight or a Herald and proceed to find a glorious long coat.

Question though: is dual wielding in this game like DS2? Loved dual wielding so much. Thanks to anyone who can answer this.

Neoweee

What are the most important stats for a STR build?

Right now I just started and have 20 Vigor, 20 Strength. Not sure if I should work on Endurance or Vitality next.

Vitality is kind of crap, unless you are using a very heavy weapon that makes it difficult to stay under 70% weight while still hitting the ~20% damage reduction softcaps.

5 more points in Vigor, then a bunch more Endurance, and Strength as needed or once you have some good scaling.

Couldn't beat him with a sword, I used the starting dagger and beat him. The dodge skill was super helpful to get in range with invincibility frames and then you can get like 6 hits in a row and back away.

Neff

ARRGH. Fuck this
Dragon tentacle dude on the roof! The roof is too small to really engage him and his tentacles obscure the screen so I can't get a good read on his attacks. I tried luring him back to the ladder to drop attack on him and he grabbed me off the ladder.
:/

It's like the worst aspects of every Souls game condensed into one miserable encounter. I'm finding the game full of questionable design decisions, even at this early stage.

Love the Souls series, but not really feeling this one so far. Hope it gets better.

I R2 poked him with a Lothric Knight Sword, he was suckered by almost every blow.

Trace

Banned
I'm playing Giantdad for kicks. Started deprived, 19 str, 11 dex, and everything else goes into Vig/Vit/End.

Been doing pretty well so far.

Curious to see how people are doing in terms of Estus. I'm at
the fourth bonfire in Irithyll of the Boreal Valley, and I have 9 charges of Estus+3.

I just started the previous zone and I'm at the same.

Audioboxer

Vitality is kind of crap, unless you are using a very heavy weapon that makes it difficult to stay under 70% weight while still hitting the ~20% damage reduction softcaps.

5 more points in Vigor, then a bunch more Endurance and Strength as needed or once you have some good scaling.

It does put your defenses up as well. Useful for heavier armour and weapons mostly though.

Neoweee

It does put your defenses up as well. Useful for heavier armour and weapons mostly though.

Yes, the rote reduction does start to add up after a while (increasing marginal returns), but it isn't really enough to justify the points if you aren't making use of the weight limit.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Well the game has officially gotten frustrating and really hard, I'm currently wiping on
The Watchers and it's insane, getting to P2 in good shape is hard enough, then you have to hope he doesn't decide to chain you down from 100% without a MS to think. Worst part is I wiped on 1% like 30 minutes ago, now I'm pissed off and playing worse.

Trace

Banned
Well the game has officially gotten frustrating and really hard, I'm currently wiping on
The Watchers and it's insane, getting to P2 in good shape is hard enough, then you have to hope he doesn't decide to chain you down from 100% without a MS to think. Worst part is I wiped on 1% like 30 minutes ago, now I'm pissed off and playing worse.

Have you tried it with a summon? I was having difficulty but beat it first try with a sunbro.

Neoweee

Choose Mercenary, level up Vigor, Endurance, and Strength or Dexterity (probably Dex as Dex weapons are usually faster) . Vitality as needed for equip loads. Don't wear heavy armor and keep an eye out for weapons whose battle art gives you the Bloodborne dodge.

I wouldn't say "don't wear heavy armor". More "Don't wear 3x or 4x pieces of heavy armor". Basically, just fumble around to maximize your damage reduction % without going over 70%. The aggressive soft-caps make all-heavy-armor loadouts kind of worthless.

How many bosses have you beaten so far? How much Vigor do you have? What damage reduction % do you have?

E92 M3

Keep trying, nothing more satisfying than beating a hard boss solo :)

Bloodborne still got its claws in my muscle memory, gonna take some time to get used to, also i realise i cant go back to a shield now so thx BB :)

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

I solo'ed every boss and I also thought
Watchers was hard. The second phase can end you in no time. First boss to take me a bunch of tries, then it ramps up from there.

Aurongel

Regarding the second boss, I'm actually having a ton of fun co-oping this guy due to his size. It makes for a super fun raid-like encounter because everyone gets to wail away at a different part of him. Kinda makes me wish these games had co-op exclusive oversized bosses.

Or maybe the late game has comparable bosses?

ahh.. the good ole 4 hours of sleep, chug through work, play more Souls routine. delerium has set in. immediately plunge attacked Hawkwood's dumbass sitting outside Firelink. now he's dead. hope I didn't miss a big storyline...

I wouldnt say big but there was a small part towards the end.

Sylas

ARRGH. Fuck this
Dragon tentacle dude on the roof! The roof is too small to really engage him and his tentacles obscure the screen so I can't get a good read on his attacks. I tried luring him back to the ladder to drop attack on him and he grabbed me off the ladder.
:/

You can kill those guys before they explode into tentacles--if you're talking about the guy in Undead Settlement. Just rush'em down.

aravuus

Where do I get the gesture where you sit and hold your hand up, like you were toasting or something? It's amazing

e: more importantly, where do I get those "thanks", "sorry" etc rocks?!

neoism

welp soo far 7 hours in my bad cold i have is fuckin up my play time...3 hours in and i get a headache.. two sessions in a row

i have to say ds3 character movement feels off to me.. bb was way better this game feels like demon souls lol the dodge roll is too floaty?
its also harder than bb even some how but that could be me playin with my terrible headache and couching my ass off...&#65533;&#65533; but ive died quite a bit lol... i guess bb just had to good of a dodge mechanic. hopfuling i get a good play session and start better enjoying it once i get better....&#65533;&#65533;

also not sure but i think i dont really care for the level design this time.. after i got the firelink i had no fucking clue where to go and finally saw i had to warp to the first area.. &#55357;&#56849;

My sl1 video might help, the second phases doesnt have many safe openings, but yea post this boss difficulty ramps up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYLvwkgvFfo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom