• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iorv3th

Im having such a hard time with the Katana guy in Firelink Shrine. Anyone have any tips? Im a level 19 Assassin with 16 Dex.

I beat him much earlier on but with a knight and longsword. Used the 2 handed special weapon attack, got in 2 hits, rolled away and let him miss an attack then did another special and a few hits, rolled back, rinse and repeat.

Trickster

I have 2 items called
Mortician's Ashes
and
Paladin's Ashes
, and their description says "
shrine handmaiden will prepare new items
". Buuut I can't seems to get any new options from that bonfire lady that you level up at?

psychotron

What are the most important stats for a STR build?

Right now I just started and have 20 Vigor, 20 Strength. Not sure if I should work on Endurance or Vitality next.

I'm using the Warrior starting axe but I plan to use a bigger/better weapon whenever I can find one. I recently learned where the Claymore is so I'll probably go get it when I get home from work. What are the best STR weapons in the game?

Did you already try setting lighting to low, and restarting your PC? Doing both of those things fixed every problem I had with the game.

I've read a lot of people have success with luring him into running off the edge. You can reload and get his drops if he dies this way. Personally I beat him with jumping attacks. Wait until he is not in the parry stance, bait an attack, step back and do a jump attack. Or just a few quick R1 swings will work too. He's not so bad if you bait and punish.

The claymore is my weapon of choice in DaS2, so I'll be looking for it.

I used that ring that protects you from losing your Souls/Ember when you die and it broke, you can't repair them again in this game it seems. :(

Are there any other ones in the game or will I have to grab it again next playthrough to ensure I have it for the ring Achievement?

Sylas

I used that ring that protects you from losing your Souls/Ember when you die and it broke, you can't repair them again in this game it seems. :(

Are there any other ones in the game or will I have to grab it again next playthrough to ensure I have it for the ring Achievement?

There are more.

Stevey

Second area NPC spoilers
The reunion with Siegmeyer was incredible! My man is just chilling on the steps, then i mess up and trigger the red fire demon dude, and Siegmeyer goes something like "oh bother, time to fight" and jumps on in. Then I get a pint of ale as a reward! Just incredible.

I did the exact same thing :D

Effect

Was hoping Dark Souls 1 and/or 2 would be going on sale now that DS3 is finally out. Anyone know if they're on sale anywhere? They're not on steam.

I solo'ed every boss and I also thought
Watchers was hard. The second phase can end you in no time. First boss to take me a bunch of tries, then it ramps up from there.

It's probably because
they're the first boss that is legitimately hard, and can actually wreck you even w/o the adds

Stevey

I have 2 items called
Mortician's Ashes
and
Paladin's Ashes
". Buuut I can't seems to get any new options from that bonfire lady that you level up at?

Its not the bonfire lady, try someone else in the shrine

Tenebrous

I have 2 items called
Mortician's Ashes
and
Paladin's Ashes

Pretty sure it's the vendor on the right of the path en route to Andre you give them to.

Against my better judgement I rolled a Sorcerer :) Enjoying it so far but have a few questions about stats/spells.

Aside from the standard, attunement, intelligence (primary I imagine), and vigor...I planned to throw a bit into endurance later. Should I also put some into str/dex for weapons? (I got the Katana and it looks badass) but I'm wondering how it is late game and if I'll need it or just cast spells.

Should I be saving my Boss Souls? Are there any really good sorcerer spells I can obtain by trade in?

Mandelbo

Where's the earliest I can get a ring that boosts my equip load? It's becoming an issue to the point that I can't even equip another ring without fat rolling.

NPC/ mechanic spoilers below, need help from someone a little ways in:

like a fool I took a free level from Yoel. I have no interest in being beef jerky - what's the fastest route to meeting the fire keeper and being able to cure it? I know I need the tower key, but what about the tower keeper soul and whatnot?

Sylas

Where's the earliest I can get a ring that boosts my equip load? It's becoming an issue to the point that I can't even equip another ring without fat rolling.

Farron Keep. You transpose the "secret" side-boss soul for Havel's Ring.

like a fool I took a free level from Yoel. I have no interest in being beef jerky - what's the fastest route to meeting the fire keeper and being able to cure it? I know I need the tower key, but what about the tower keeper soul and whatnot?

The moment you have the tower key, you can ascend the highest tower and get the fire keeper soul to give to the fire keeper in Firelink.

Farron's Keep. There's a Stray Demon on the other side of the bridge where you find Yoel that drops a soul which you can bring to Ludleth to forge Dwayne Johnson's Ring.

Against my better judgement I rolled a Sorcerer :) Enjoying it so far but have a few questions about stats/spells.

Aside from the standard, attunement, intelligence (primary I imagine), and vigor...I planned to throw a bit into endurance later. Should I also put some into str/dex for weapons? (I got the Katana and it looks badass) but I'm wondering how it is late game and if I'll need it or just cast spells.

Should I be saving my Boss Souls? Are there any really good sorcerer spells I can obtain by trade in?
Yeah, put some points into strength and dex to the point you can use a good weapon you enjoy. In case you haven't been paying attention, sorcerer is very underpowered right now. Even near the end of the game when it starts becoming viable, it's completely unviable on some of the end game bosses. Pick a weapon you like and either make it raw then buff it yourself, or infuse it with magic scaling once you get that ability.

Lulubop

Should have picked a knight since they throw a ton of cool Dex weapons at the beginning. I'm up to the 4th area still rocking my battle axe. So far I feel like this is the hardest souls game, despite the first three bosses being push overs.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

The fire keeper in question is the NPC you level up with. The soul is at the very top of the tower, can't miss it. If you stick with the Yoel questline however, you will eventually get the ability to buy items that cure hollowing for much cheaper then healing through the firekeeper.

tower key ----> fire keeper soul on top of tower ---> give to firekeeper ---->heal dark sigil(this part can cost a lot of souls and will only cost more as you hollow further. also purging stones will reverse hollowing.

That's the way to cure it, just follow the tower up, get the item, then talk to the fire keeper. However, I'd recommend finishing leveling up with Yoel before you do it, because you are going to cancel his entire storyline if you end it prematurely. Also, there's an item you can get from a different NPC soon after doing the Yoel stuff which purges the hollowness out of you. Even if you have the firekeeper fix your current hollowness, you still need to use that item to purge hollowness off of your appearance.

tesqui

First Dark Souls game where any of my messages have gotten attention! One of them has 170 points! I like that the Icon changes. Mines blue now.

Ok got a question about boss three
Greatwood. I hit the weak spots at the front and got the second stage, hit the front again, then the back, then the right hand but I couldn't find any more places to hit. What did I miss?

I feel like I've screwed my character a bit, initially I wanted to go all str in my build so I chose the warrior class and got my str up to 20 but I changed my mind and wanted to have a dex focused build which I feel it's too late for now especially since my class started off with very low dex to begin with. I'm only about 5 hours in, should I just restart and create a new character that I can level properly from the very beginning?

This been asked a few times already? Amazon had a guaranteed release date but it's giving me a 4/14 date now? :(

My game is on time, but for some reason the guide was moved from 4/12 to 4/14. I emailed customer service and they got back to me quickly and bumped the shipping up to overnight for free. It's now due tomorrow 4/13. No idea why it was pushed back, but get in contact with customer service.

Vuze

Ok got a question about boss three
Greatwood. I hit the weak spots at the front and got the second stage, hit the front again, then the back, then the right hand but I couldn't find any more places to hit. What did I miss?
Try
the hand that popped out in stage two. And I think there are some other spots you can hit that look a little different.

I feel like I've screwed my character a bit, initially I wanted to go all str in my build so I chose the warrior class and got my str up to 20 but I changed my mind and wanted to have a dex focused build which I feel it's too late for now especially since my class started off with very low dex to begin with. I'm only about 5 hours in, should I just restart and create a new character that I can level properly from the very beginning?

There's a way to respec, but I've not found it yet

Sylas

You can reroll stats once you get most of the way through Cathedral of the Deep.

Though I wouldn't say you need to reroll unless you feel like you're doing absolutely no damage and can't continue. Starting dex high just means you're lacking points from somewhere else, and you do need some strength for some of the dex weapons.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

You could go for a quality build which is a dex/str hybrid.

If you're wandering the tunnels of Smouldering Lake keep an eye out for this badboy of a shield I just found:

1lYY8uF.png

It's essentially an aged "King's Shield" from DS2. 100% Physical Defense, and over 60% for every other elemental defence except lightning. The weapon art allows you to use your right hand weapon art without having to double hand it and put the shield on your back.

MilkBeard

Finally got my copy, got it installed and the patch in. Starting the character editor now.

I have to say, I like the cover design a lot more than Dark Souls 2, and Bloodborne as well. And going with a simple sleeve is a lot better than the crappy metal case that came with day one editions of DS2.

Let the deaths begin!

I'm also rolling Deprived as promised.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom