• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferr986

I'm really the only one missing the soul collecting sound? Even Bloodborne had it! Miyazaki pls!

In all seriousness, even though the framepacing sucks, I like how clean it looks compared to Bloodborne thanks to no CA.

Chose a Knight and damn, dude is equiped as fuck. The boss before the hub had no chance.

I played the Network Test so if they didn't chage much the High Wall I guess I'll be easy too (the boss on the Network test was kinda hard but I heard
they changed it
?. Looking forward for the next area!

Sullichin

OT? How long does it take for the game to load geez. I end up just going to the main menu and logging back in

If you keep running into the fog you should be able to pass through after a couple of seconds.

I was surprised that this happens in the PC version as well. Weird because the actual levels are way bigger than firelink and there's no loading.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
im loving these special npcs with special weapons, seems like 100% drop rate too?

KeRaSh

I have a question about an NPC:
Yoel

Are there any other downsides to accepting
free levels besides looking like ass after a while from the hollowing process? Is it purely a cosmetic tradeoff?

Xiraiya

That's very nice.
Thank you.

I wish they had found a way to make it so saved appearances were separate files to your "save file" so that they could be shared, but of course that would be hard to imagine them thinking of doing, I'm just glad they even let you save appearances at all.

Opening areas are kicking my butt. Enemies sure are ferocious and more unpredictable now. Love that. First boss was epic, probably the best first boss in the series yet.

I wouldn't avoid Sorcerer in any case. It's still a very fun build to play but yes, it's essentially Very Hard mode for most of the game. They'll obviously patch it though. It's borderline unplayable at moments but that's what makes it fun.

But yeah, this is the worst magic has ever been. Damage feels like guns in Bloodborne.

Well, to be fair that's the complete opposite of prior Souls games then, since on my replay of DkS2 recently (PS4 port) I was blitzing through as a sorcerer (with a fire straight sword). Guess they felt that sorcerer class needed the challenge this time around.

SL1 is seriously tough right from the get go. Way harder than Bloodborne SL4, probably in part due to rally. I seriously doubt I will defeat the first boss since regular enemies are giving me so much trouble.

I did find the broadsword though which has the same assy one handed R2 as it did in DS1 but at least I can one hand it unlike the dark Axe. So maybe I will upgrade the broadsword and carry on - I was waiting for a better weapon to upgrade, but since options are already so limited I guess I'll just go with the broadsword. The club I thought I could handle but I need a bit more speed.

I noticed at SL1 I have the stats for both heal and soul arrow which is nice and different to SL1 DS1.

Ahhh wouldn't be souls without this tradition of entering an unknown boss room with less than optimal preparation, yet almost beating it on the first attempt only to perish right near the end.
And then spend the next hour rematching it and never doing as well, that's an hour of gametime this one chap has sucked up, I'm taking a tea break right now to refresh.

Curse you
Champion Gundyr!

without healing it through the fire keeper you will still become hollow as you die more. The item that reverses hollowing is just like a cosmetic reset.

If you want it spelled out clearly:

Every time Yoel levels you up, you get a 'Dark Sigil' in your key items. Every time you die, you get 1 point of hollowing for every Dark Sigil you're holding. What the firekeepers fix does is clear the dark sigils out, but doesn't clear your actual hollowing stat. You'll get the ability to buy purging stones which do clear your hollowing. So what you want to do is get all the levels Yoel will give you. Then heal yourself of the dark sigils and then purge your hollowness. With the sigils gone, you won't go hollow anymore when you die.

Thanks a ton!

But... i already have a roll D:

Alright. Credit goes to Vaati for his tips video, but.

It dodges faster than dodging

if doesn't slow down in the swamp

it works with zero FP (it drains some, but doesn't need any)

effectively, you can wave dash across the swamp.

It's

incredible.

Ferr986

Well, to be fair that's the complete opposite of prior Souls games then, since on my replay of DkS2 recently (PS4 port) I was blitzing through as a sorcerer (with a fire straight sword). Guess they felt that sorcerer class needed the challenge this time around.

i still remember Faith builds in DS2 vanilla pre-nerf. Shit was hilariously OP.

Robiin

I'm looking for a 100% physical res shield in the (very) early game. I haven't met the second boss yet, have two bonfires open in the first area. Anything? Highest I've seen was 85% from a purchasable shield at the Firelink vendor.

Sullichin

Alright. Credit goes to Vaati for his tips video, but.

It dodges faster than dodging

if doesn't slow down in the swamp

it works with zero FP (it drains some, but doesn't need any)

effectively, you can wave dash across the swamp.

It's

incredible.

Totally amazing for being able to sprint through the murk.

I'm looking for a 100% physical res shield in the (very) early game. I haven't met the second boss yet, have two bonfires open in the first area. Anything? Highest I've seen was 85% from a purchasable shield at the Firelink vendor.

I think the knight starts with one if you don't mind rerolling.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
eh, what are the useless stats again? playing a standard knight :D

i still remember Faith builds in DS2 vanilla pre-nerf. Shit was hilariously OP.

Unlucky for me I decided to go for a straight up melee class on my first playthrough for vanilla Dark Souls 2 (PS3) and really began to regret that decision when I heard frequently how easy the game was if you concentrated on magic builds, faith builds especially. It's easy enough in the PS4 port with all of the "fixes" so that it's not as OP... I can't even imagine how ridiculously OP it was before in vanilla DkS2.

Where is the 100 % phys res shield before the second boss fight?

There's one uh... somewhere on the high wall? I know I picked one up, like a silver kite shield or something, with 100% resist and weapon special instead of parry on L2.

Edit: I haven't fought any bosses past fire link yet so in that general area.

So as per usual on my first playthrough I'm sporting a strength sword build, but I can't seem to find any decent weapon that'd be fit to be upgraded so far (hanging around the first area). Is the broad sword an alright sword to throw my titanite into?

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I have done that running up the tree trick and got the ring and the estus shard, is there any point in buying that key now?

Also I managed to kill the first proper boss without taking a single hit, which was handy as I activated it by accident when low on health and had no flasks left. Probably not that impressive to you guys but as a newcomer I was well chuffed.

Timeaisis

This game is way harder than any other Souls game for me. Jesus. I'm in the
The Undead Settlement
and lots enemies are kicking my ass. The regular mobs aren't bad, but the "special" enemies are crazy, especially the
fat spellcaster lady
...what a pain. I got to the third boss, but have immense trouble even getting up to the fog door because of the damn
giant arrows

I'm not sure if I'm underleveled or my weapon is just shitty (using Estoc +1 for now. I haven't leveled it up because I want to try a bunch before I commit).

I'm glad the deprived class doesn't start as shitty as it did in Dark Souls 2 though I'm sincerely confused as to why they give me a shield that can't parry. Like why

Uthred

Anybody manage to get their DS4 working with this? Using DS4windows, it worked for my first play session but now, nothing.

If you're wandering the tunnels of Smouldering Lake keep an eye out for this badboy of a shield I just found:

1lYY8uF.png

It's essentially an aged "King's Shield" from DS2. 100% Physical Defense, and over 60% for every other elemental defence except lightning. The weapon art allows you to use your right hand weapon art without having to double hand it and put the shield on your back.
More like Shield of Need

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom