• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

mario_O

Man, I hate it when enemies give me a blow behind a wall. What are walls for??

Still haven't figured out how to restore humanity, do you do it in the bonfires?

He's right, but inbetween i-frames are impacted. So you roll further and get a bit more protection the lower your equip. Under 30% it's all the same.

So 31% would be better than 59% despite both being mid rolls? But in what way....if the mid roll is the same? I mean I think I get it but I'm not sure. Somebody also said armor doesn't really matter....

Grexeno

That first boss was a little tougher than I was expecting.

The giant crystal lizard in the Cemetery of Ash kicked my ass.

The katana guy outside of Firelink kicked my ass.

Everything is kicking my ass.

I missed Dark Souls.

That Crystal Sage, fuck him. It teases you as being so easy, but nope. It can take you out so fast.

There are a Shit ton of summons there too, lol.

Windtrick

Concerning Tower Key
What is that item on the ledge? I got the estus ring at the very bottom but I can never seem to park on the ledge without falling. Is it worth the hassle?

Audioboxer

So 31% would be better than 59% despite both being mid rolls? But in what way....if the mid roll is the same?

You roll further, as in distance, which offers you a little more protection as roll "lasts longer". Protection as in i-frames, or invincibility-frames. Under 30% you're getting the most, inbetween 30~69% it's varied.

It's not a huge difference though, but still it counts for something.

jett

D-Member
On PC the character screen stops updating or reacting to my controller during character creation, preventing me from seeing what changes I'm making. What's up with that? Is there a fix?

Man, I hate it when enemies give me a blow behind a wall. What are walls for??

Still haven't figured out how to restore humanity, do you do it in the bonfires?

You dont. You use a ember to get 30% more HP and be able to summon people, invade, be summon.

Concerning Tower Key
What is that item on the ledge? I got the estus ring at the very bottom but I can never seem to park on the ledge without falling. Is it worth the hassle?
IIRC its the firekeeper set

Frillen

So I just beat the mimic. Should I use the deep battle axe I got? The starting axe has 125 in Phys damage while the great axe has 103 but also 103 in dark. Is it basically 103 + 103? Noob question.

Also can I fuse the fire gem on the great axe with dark or is that a bad idea?

The deep battle axe apparently doesn't scale!?

Anyone? :)

Audioboxer

Concerning Tower Key

Line up at edge, take a few steps back, and roll forward. You need to land right on the edge.

You roll further, as in distance, which offers you a little more protection as roll "lasts longer". Protection as in i-frames, or invincibility-frames. Under 30% you're getting the most, inbetween 30~69% it's varied.

Ok. So the difference between 31 and 69 is that the animation of the roll is same (mid speed roll) but you cover more distance per unit of invincibility frame. Thanks.

What weight percentage do you roll with. No pun intended.

Whoyouare

It sucked when I played it, but I played pre-1.03. The fact that spells take stamina and enemies are so aggressive is really going to kill you though, as well as the relatively early on bosses that are magic-resistant if your aim is to go pure caster. Finding the sorcery trainer as early as possible will help you.

Most of my playthrough (it was my first playthrough) is up here but I don't know how far you've gotten into the game on another character so it may not be so useful without the risk of spoilers. There's one or two more videos I have to upload. Once I got soul spear things got much easier, and in fact the final boss was the only one I killed in one try (Iudex Gundyr took 2 lol).

Thanks for the update. Maybe I'll go melee build as that's how Bloodborne was played.

The U
ndead
S
ettlement
is blowing my mind - This is so far above Undead Burg or Forest of Fallen Giants as a town area.

I remember the first thing I thought when I saw Fishing Hamlet in BB was I hope we see something like this in DS3 and so far this is it. I fought the Fat Minister type enemy, took her down in 5 or 6 hits, all the enemies except her are going down in 1 or 2 hits with a broadsword +2 but I'm just in love with the level design already - It's amazing how far From have come. It has a Hemwick Lane vibe to it too, but even better. <3

Sanctuary

So I guess my question was either stupid, missed, or no one knows what I am talking about. Can you unlock this?

987F9EABFB497A54D18CD65A0A193B2DF84F32B6

It's three floors below
the second bonfire in Lothric. It's not the shortcut from the first bonfire to the boss either.

You can actually fight the guy kneeling near the lady that levels you up at the Firelink shrine or am I missing something...? (also near where the blacksmith is)
Yes. If you don't fight/strike him later on he will give you some equipment if you meet certain criteria.

MicSte79

Neo Member
It sucked when I played it, but I played pre-1.03. The fact that spells take stamina and enemies are so aggressive is really going to kill you though, as well as the relatively early on bosses that are magic-resistant if your aim is to go pure caster. Finding the sorcery trainer as early as possible will help you.

Most of my playthrough (it was my first playthrough) is up here but I don't know how far you've gotten into the game on another character so it may not be so useful without the risk of spoilers. There's one or two more videos I have to upload. Once I got soul spear things got much easier, and in fact the final boss was the only one I killed in one try (Iudex Gundyr took 2 lol).

Thanks. I really want to play by mixing ranged battle and melee. Apparently hybrids are the way to go in DSIII so I am already regretting my choice of Knight.

Think I am going to start a Pyromancer build. Anyone got some tips for me I.e. What is best to level up for a good hybrid build of melee and ranged combat?

Audioboxer

Ok. So the difference between 31 and 69 is that the animation of the roll is same (mid speed roll) but you cover more distance per unit of invincibility frame. Thanks.

What weight percentage do you roll with. No pun intended.

You cover more distance in the roll. So you roll further. Due to you rolling further you're invincible slightly longer.

It's all small differences, but do a boss with under 30%, and then with 60~69%. You'll notice the difference.

I'm doing a quality tanky build so just under 69%. My Pyro was under 30%.

rdytoroll

So I guess my question was either stupid, missed, or no one knows what I am talking about. Can you unlock this?

It's three floors below
the second bonfire in Lothric. It's not the shortcut from the first bonfire to the boss either.

Yes.
Speak with the man at the highest throne in the shrine.

Zocano

It's three floors below

Yep. hint:
Involves an NPC in firelink

It's three floors below

You'll get a key from an NPC in Firelink once you get a Pale Tongue and beat a few bosses.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
greatsword
is 20kg jesus, I dont remember it being so heavy before ;_;

tootsi666

I'm really disappointed in PvP. Estus is too hard to punish and fights take too long because of it. I prefer the methodical PvP of DS2.

Durability seems non-existent in this game.

Definitely seems lower than DaS2. One of the first areas in that game had me breaking my weapon but it was pretty much the only time. This time round I've not even approached breaking a weapon and I'm progressing far enough through the upgrades that I can't see it happening later either.

So once you're dead you're dead for good?

my character looks awful I want him alive.

ahh
You talked to Yoel of Londor and leveled up for free? If so doing that, you get the dark sigil under key items. Having the Dark Sigil will make you hollow every time you die. To heal the hollowing process or the dark sgil, you need the firekeeper souls and give that to the firekeeper. It will cost you X souls to prevent further hollowing. To remove the looks etc you can use a purge stone.

Audioboxer

ahh
You talked to Yoel of Londor and leveled up for free? If so doing that, you get the dark sigil under key items. Having the Dark Sigil will make you hollow every time you die. To heal the hollowing process or the dark sgil, you need the firekeeper souls and give that to the firekeeper. It will cost you X souls to prevent further hollowing. To remove the looks etc you can use a purge stone.

You can buy a
ring as well to change look back to normal.

Lemonheap

Banned
Just spent 6 hours grudging my way to the second boss. Just beat it after 7 tries, and now I figured out you can level up in this game.

Maybe I should have done that before... the hard part was not the boss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom