• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thewonandonly

Is anyone having trouble getting the latest calibrations...
I have been playing the english version through the jappenese method and thought that I was having problems because the US servers wernt active. Well now they are but it still won't let me connect online :(

Mogwai

Is Firelink connected to any areas?

I felt the free warp to High Wall seemed a little strange. But I might have overlooked something...

HOLY SHIT THIS GAME!!!

It's insane! so many moments so far!

I've gone in pretty much dark (heh no pun intended) regarding trailers, screens and streamers so lots of things have taken me by surprise!

Just fought the
Curse-Rotted Greatwood and the part where it breaks the ground and you fall down and carry on fighting him made me totally shit HOLY SHIT! out loud i loved it!

If this truly is FROM Software and Miyazaki's last Souls game or at least for awhile they are going out with a bang!

MicSte79

Neo Member
Thanks. I really want to play by mixing ranged battle and melee. Apparently hybrids are the way to go in DSIII so I am already regretting my choice of Knight.

Think I am going to start a Pyromancer build. Anyone got some tips for me I.e. What is best to level up for a good hybrid build of melee and ranged combat?

Any advice would be much appreciated - surely there is a Pyromancer here? :)

Audioboxer

Is Firelink connected to any areas?

I felt the free warp to High Wall seemed a little strange. But I might have overlooked something...

I'm not sure but maybe later. You should give some clue as to what you're spoiler tagging or no one will hover over it in fear of end game stuff :p

Manu

Whoa. I haven't posted here so far since I haven't stopped playing other than to eat or sleep since last night.

I'm loving this so far. I've killed four bosses and done some sidequesting. I like that NPCs will tell you what to do now instead of being cryptic just because. While I like the mystery aspect of the previous games, characters being upfront for once is a welcome change.

The areas are HUGE. I love that taking a turn can take you to a massive new area. I've spent maybe four or five hours in Undead Settlement, doing everything that I could do. If the rest of the game lives up to this, then this could be the best Souls game, level design wise. I don't mind the linearity as long as each area is as well made as this one.

I'm also still using the same Battle Axe I started the game with. Gotta love that weapon art.

Have only gotten an hour in today, but man is it good to be playing a new souls game. I liked II, but an hour in there are so many small things this game has done right that II just seemed to fudge up just enough.

Shahadan

Can't believ how much time I've wasted on this crystal sage shit. Bugs everywhere. Boss that never reappears or never loses any health because fuck you.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
loving the charge heavy attack (thrust) on the Claymore, sorry Greatsword but this time around im going with these types I think. What other weapons do you guys know that have both the greatsword-style sweep attck and also this thrusting one?

maybe the
Artorias
sword? shape wise you would think so at least.

Anno

So should I just ignore covenants if I'm not particularly keen to engage with the multiplayer on my first playthrough? Or can they somehow be interacted with when playing SP only.

Ricker

Just spent 6 hours grudging my way to the second boss. Just beat it after 7 tries, and now I figured out you can level up in this game.

Maybe I should have done that before... the hard part was not the boss.

Think of it has an awesome training mode...you should be golden now when you apply all those points,put some in Vigor at first... ;)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
What do you guys think is the best PVE weapon? Right now I'm using the Uchigatana.

its completely subjective with these games because it depends on how you play. How do we still have these questions 4 (hell 5) games in :/

I guess theres always new players but still

wiibomb

Have you guys seen the Collector's unboxing for US and Europe? I feel betrayed by Namco...

The EU artbook is huge in Europe and here it is a measly notebook with little images..

WHY?

I have a pretty basic and pretty dumb question about "magic" and spells in this game.

I played DS1 as a straight melee charater focusing on strength and the only other "souls" type game I played is bloodborne.
My question is about how magic works in the game. Other than by picking a starting class that comes equipped with a spell, how do you get them? How do you level up your spells or magic attacks? How do you increase the number of spells you can equip? Is that stuff done by finding items in the world or by leveling specific stats?

I know you could pick a starting class that should be focused on magic, but by leveling bascially respec however you want. But could you do that the other way around? If I start as a knight and decide I want to play as a pyro or a sorcerer is it possible to just pour upgrades in the required stats and change to that style of character? Would you be able to buy or find spells in the world?

I know to Souls vets the questions are probably basic, but I never played as magic character in a souls game and have no clue how any of that works.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Very impressed so far. Just took the first boss down on try 2.

Manu

Fourth boss.
Bosses were going so good and then Crystal Sage had to come along and be a gimmicky piece of shit.

Definitely one of those bosses that SHOULD be easy in practice, but then fucks you up anyway.

Took me the most tries (5) from the bosses I've killed so far.

Tevious

The combat is going to take some getting used to. The attack speed and animations feel a bit off for some reason. It's like enemies can go from holding their weapon up and then to hitting me within fraction of a second. Maybe they originally planned to have the combat at a slower pace, but then they just sped up the attack speed and animations?

tcrunch

My question is about how magic works in the game. Other than by picking a starting class that comes equipped with a spell, how do you get them? How do you level up your spells or magic attacks? How do you increase the number of spells you can equip? Is that stuff done by finding items in the world or by leveling specific stats?

You get spells in the world, from boss souls, and by buying them from the sorcery trainer after giving them appropriate key items.

You level up your catalyst (staff) to increase the damage your spells do.

You can increase the number of spells you can equip by leveling Attunement, which also gives you more MP (blue bar).

You need to increase Intelligence to meet spell requirements and to increase damage.

Faith is a variant on this concept where you use a chime/talisman instead of a catalyst and have to level Faith.

Pyromancy scales off both INT and FTH and you have to upgrade a flame item.

I know you could pick a starting class that should be focused on magic, but by leveling bascially respec however you want. But could you do that the other way around? If I start as a knight and decide I want to play as a pyro or a sorcerer is it possible to just pour upgrades in the required stats and change to that style of character? Would you be able to buy or find spells in the world?

The only problem is you probably wouldn't have an upgraded catalyst/talisman/flame to work with. You can find/buy spells regardless, though you do need 10 INT for the sorcery trainer to move to Firelink.

Ruff

I'm so lost...I need some
Doll
to get to the
pretty winter city place
but it gives me no clue where to get it

Have you guys seen the Collector's unboxing for US and Europe? I feel betrayed by Namco...

The EU artbook is huge in Europe and here it is a measly notebook with little images..

WHY?
Yeah I know. I was disapointed with the US CE artbook :( and charging 500 just for the yhorm statue while the EU CE is 500 for everything in the US CE and yhorm as well.

You get spells in the world, from boss souls, and by buying them from the sorcery trainer after giving them appropriate key items.

You level up your catalyst (staff) to increase the damage your spells do.

You can increase the number of spells you can equip by leveling Attunement, which also gives you more MP (blue bar).

You need to increase Intelligence to meet spell requirements and to increase damage.

Faith is a variant on this concept where you use a chime/talisman instead of a catalyst and have to level Faith.

Pyromancy scales off both INT and FTH and you have to upgrade a flame item.

The only problem is you probably wouldn't have an upgraded catalyst/talisman/flame to work with. You can find/buy spells regardless, though you do need 10 INT for the sorcery trainer to move to Firelink.

Awesome. Thanks.

I have a pretty basic and pretty dumb question about "magic" and spells in this game.

I played DS1 as a straight melee charater focusing on strength and the only other "souls" type game I played is bloodborne.

I know to Souls vets the questions are probably basic, but I never played as magic character in a souls game and have no clue how any of that works.

The most common way of getting spells will be buying them from vendors throughout the world. Generally each vendor will focus on a specific type of magic.

As for leveling up the attacks and increasing the number of spells you equip those are all done via attributes when leveling up. If you click the Back button and then View Explanation you should go through all of the stats and read what they affect. Here's the basics.

Attunement = # of spells
Dexterity = spell cast time
Int = sorceries and pyromancies. Magic defense
Faith = miracles and pyromancies. Dark defense

Eventually you'll find the vendors, so yeah you can definitely just respec into a magic character if you want. However, one thing to keep in mind (and not sure if DS3 is different) is that I'm pretty sure that when you respec, your base spec is whatever your starting class is (it only clears levels that you put into it). So if you're someone who wants to min-max, your starting class matters here a bit.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Hate to say it, but Greatswords just don't cut it in DS3. They are too slow and the small damage bonus isn't worth the risk with such small attack windows. Moved over to the Broadsword and love it. Doing almost the same damage as a Claymore, but much faster attack.

Greatswords' point wasn't ever damage.
It's poise and reach. Horizontal reach, mainly. Claymore light attack arcs like 180° and will disable pretty much all enemies.
They've always been bad boss weapons, and bosses are like the easiest part of the game this time around anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom