• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm 7 hours in and it's fucking great, but man, it just ain't no Bloodborne. And this is coming from someone whose favourite game is unequivocally Dark Souls 1.

It just doesn't quite add up, when you assess the games chronologically. BB was such a great evolution in gameplay - such a refinement. The way it moved, the flow, the way it animated, the weapon transformations... It all came together so brilliantly.

I just can't help but think that DS3 feels like a "stepping stone", so to speak, to Bloodborne; as if BB was the game From always wanted to make. Kinda like an "oh, they've gone back to that, have they? Hmm. Okay" feeling.

I understand that all styles of Soulsborne have their place, but BB represents the finest iteration of the formula in my eyes.
I thought Bloodborne was a big step back myself.
Felt like you just used the same strategy for every boss just playing hyper aggressive with the health regain system.
So I'm super happy Dark Souls 3 has returned to the 'smarter' Souls combat system.

jaaz

I'm 7 hours in and it's fucking great, but man, it just ain't no Bloodborne. And this is coming from someone whose favourite game is unequivocally Dark Souls 1.

It just doesn't quite add up, when you assess the games chronologically. BB was such a great evolution in gameplay - such a refinement. The way it moved, the flow, the way it animated, the weapon transformations... It all came together so brilliantly.

I just can't help but think that DS3 feels like a "stepping stone", so to speak, to Bloodborne; as if BB was the game From always wanted to make. Kinda like an "oh, they've gone back to that, have they? Hmm. Okay" feeling.

I understand that all styles of Soulsborne have their place, but BB represents the finest iteration of the formula in my eyes.

I am past the second boss and said the exact same thing to myself. It's a good game, but so far it doesn't come close to Bloodborne... yet. What's mostly bothering me are the controls, they are just not as tight as Bloodborne's. Too many instances where I have pushed a button or the D-pad to have a delayed response or even nothing happen. Something just feels off. I miss my Blades of Mercy :(

ISee

This is going to sound stupid but where do you go after you get to the first castle area with the black smith and lady you level up with your souls? I didn't have very long to play but wandered around and couldn't find the next path

Use the bonfire and teleport to the next area.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
This is going to sound stupid but where do you go after you get to the first castle area with the black smith and lady you level up with your souls? I didn't have very long to play but wandered around and couldn't find the next path
You have to use the bonfire to go to the next area.

Vuze

Oh my, does it mean you can actually go to
Lothric Castle
early in the game?
This would be nuts. But I assume you won't be able to speedrun the game this way eh? Considering all the stuff you have to collect and lords of cinder etc

Sephzilla

I'm 4 bosses into the game and so far this game is the Dark Souls 2 I wish Dark Souls 2 was. The overall look of the world and the gameplay just feel a lot more like Dark Souls 1 and it feels like a really good follow up. I was also getting massive Boletaria vibes from the first area after F
irelink Shrine
. The game isn't on Bloodborne's level yet, but so far I'm enjoying it a ton.

Spent like 2 hours straight just invading in Undead Settlement as the Hulk (but with a greataxe, because the caestus was doing terrible damage).

SO MUCH FUN. I've never been on a souls game at launch, so the population is awesome. Although it did kind of suck getting ganked by big bands of jolly co-opers. But honestly that just makes me feel a little better about trying to impede peoples' PVE progress and murder them.

SO satisfying when you win a 2v1 or 3v1. What's great about the gank squads is they get really overly confident and aggressive - I landed more parries in PVP last night than I ever have in any souls game PVP combined. Parrying or guard breaking the host for a killing blow riposte feels so good.

If you got invaded on Xbone last night by "The Hulk" with a greataxe, that was me :D

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Apparently I've missed a chunk of the game, I don't have the
small doll
to open
Irithyll
. And I don't have any of the bonfires listed on the wiki, how do I get to
Cathedral of the Deep
?

Neoweee

small doll
to open
Irithyll
Cathedral of the Deep
?

Swamp.
Area with the crabs. Through the ruined manor.

Navy Bean

Was doing some co-op on Vordt boss last night when a fresh new sorcerer summoned me to fight. He runs in, get off one harmless cast before Vordt pounces and smashes him to death in three seconds lol.

Vuze

small doll
to open
Irithyll
Cathedral of the Deep
?
Check
Road of Sacrifices
area after
Crystal Sage
boss again.

bidguy

Banned
late game spoilers
how do i get the big green door to open in anor londo ? the one next to the red eyed silver knight

what-ok

Do we get to carry more
than 99 arrows
at one point?

I feel that I have more than 99 in inventory, but can only hold 99 on my character at one time and it fills up if I die. Maybe I imagined it since I was up too late playing and falling asleep. I will check tonight. (=

Mendrox

This would be nuts. But I assume you won't be able to speedrun the game this way eh? Considering all the stuff you have to collect and lords of cinder etc

Sadly no, because of the lord of cinders, but still very nice to get some crazy stuff very early.

Derpot

What you can do if you do that thing:

- Lothric Castle through DA
- The next zone after that is locked until you are supposed to be there.
- You can do the two short optional zones around that area as well, but goddamn are the bosses hard if your damage output hasn't taken off yet.

I played the JP version normally, and am doing this after 1 Lord is down.

About the optional zones and bosses, are you talking about
Oceiros and Champion Gundyr ? Oceiros was so horrendous that I summoned an NPC to help me lol. Champion Gundyr was kinda okay but he killed me many times. He's so brutal lol. I can't imagine what it looks like in early game, gosh.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!

Yeah. Played a little bit but yeah..It is no Bloodborne. I really miss Bloodborne's bravado and swagger, art style etc.. It also does not help that the first boss in Dark Souls 3 is terrible compared to BB. I also prefer the opening area ( Central Yarnham ) level design in BB compared to Dark Souls 3 but we shall see how it goes. Still having great fun though!

Navy Bean

I'm approaching it a bit like a monster hunter, but this is definitely harder. You can't just sit under the boss and slash their butts

To be honest, that's not a bad strategy for most bosses...problem is getting under/behind without getting hit lol. And don't get greedy, that extra swing will kill you every time.

Neoweee

About the optional zones and bosses, are you talking about
Oceiros and Champion Gundyr ? Oceiros was so horrendous that I summoned an NPC to help me lol. Champion Gundyr was kinda okay but he killed me many times. He's so brutal lol. I can't imagine what it looks like in early game, gosh.

For my JP run, I actually did both of those bosses on my first try, because I was using the
Butcher's Knife
and had already started going all-in on Strength by that point.

Earlier game, with a Quality build, has been super rough. The first of those bosses feels like an RNG fest of "Will it Charge me? Is it going to do that damn floppy charge move?"

I'll take a look, cheers. Was this area easy to miss or did I just fuck up somehow?

I did what you do. Made it to the wall before finding the other way.

Technically, the NPC in town tells you to do CotD first.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so when / where can we turn the boss souls into items?

Nazo

So how the hell do I deal with the
Swamp
before
Farron Keep
? Like 80% of this area is covered in deep water that I can't run through. Do I need a Rusted Iron Ring equivalent?

taybul

I am past the second boss and said the exact same thing to myself. It's a good game, but so far it doesn't come close to Bloodborne... yet. What's mostly bothering me are the controls, they are just not as tight as Bloodborne's. Too many instances where I have pushed a button or the D-pad to have a delayed response or even nothing happen. Something just feels off. I miss my Blades of Mercy :(

I've noticed this a bit myself but I think it's more because some of the movesets are much slower than BB and I believe there's no animation canceling. I've been enjoying playing this like BB: fast weapons, no shield, dodging through attacks, etc.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Swamp
before
Farron Keep
? Like 80% of this area is covered in deep water that I can't run through. Do I need a Rusted Iron Ring equivalent?

Buy the dagger from the old lady.

OVDRobo

Swamp
before
Farron Keep

I just rolled a lot tbh. Not sure if there even is an equivalent ring in this game.

I dont feel the same way

I like the distinction and differences

If anything I would prefer to have both styles to continue being made and iterated on.

Its all these little changes and experiments that From engages in that makes EVERY single title compelling to me

Hell I even fell in love with DS2 again after replaying it before DS3. Its not Bloodborne but thats what made it just as compelling

Stimulates different parts of my brain with different gameplay

Alrighty.

Boss number 2 down for the count.

(Item discovery)

Finding
the Kite Shield and Bastard Sword really set me up well. The big armored knights are no longer insanely dangerous.

(Post Boss 2 Area)

The Undead Settlement seems to go on forever. I got past the place where I snuck past the two unique looking characters (one with a big mace who patrols and the other with the hammer that stands still) and still couldn't find a shortcut or additional bonfire, so I had to trek all the way back when I ran out of Estus.

So I don't have alot of time at the moment which is why I decided to Sunbro help tons of people with the first real boss to farm souls to get the Tower Key but every time I'm summoned ends in animation-bug land :p

The boss and all other players just slide around with no animations. We can still damage the boss no problem even though I never see the players attacking but the boss does seemingly no damage. Not that I mind since I find it quite easy anyhow but it's strange. I had that happen a few times yesterday but so far all my 10 summons today were like that.

Manu

First Lord of Cinder down: Farron's Undead Legion

They were actually easier than I expected. Only took me two tries. The second phase looks hard but you just need to keep moving and attacking only when you get an opening. It was an amazing fight nonetheless, and DAT MUSIC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom