• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Completed the Undead Settlement in the first run! Wohoo!

By completed i mean
lit the four bonfires
and explore the whole area (i think), haven't defeated the boss yet.

ApharmdX

Banned
If you co-op and you beat a boss, but you're already embered, do you get the ember item in your inventory, or just souls?

I'm 7 hours in and it's fucking great, but man, it just ain't no Bloodborne. And this is coming from someone whose favourite game is unequivocally Dark Souls 1.

It just doesn't quite add up, when you assess the games chronologically. BB was such a great evolution in gameplay - such a refinement. The way it moved, the flow, the way it animated, the weapon transformations... It all came together so brilliantly.

I just can't help but think that DS3 feels like a "stepping stone", so to speak, to Bloodborne; as if BB was the game From always wanted to make. Kinda like an "oh, they've gone back to that, have they? Hmm. Okay" feeling.

I understand that all styles of Soulsborne have their place, but BB represents the finest iteration of the formula in my eyes.

I kind of agree and kind of disagree. Bloodborne forced everyone to use a light roll/DEX build, which I would never use in a Souls game. The lack of build variety was a step backwards. On the other hand, the transformations and flow of the gameplay was amazing in Bloodborne. But now I'm getting spoiled by 60 fps PC greatness, so there's that, too. I think I like DS3 a lot already. But still not quite as much as BB. BB has a GOAT game world.

Took me 10 times to beat the first boss. But very rewarding! Trying to get gud. This is my first souls game.

I'm a veteran of the series and it took me quite a few tries too. It felt weird after Bloodborne, not being able to zip around.

so when / where can we turn the boss souls into items?

You get an item to do this after the third boss. Turn it in to the little guy on the throne.

Had a wild and fun multi-player encounter. I was going back through the Road of Sacrifice and brought a Sunbros along. We then get invaded by I think an NPC and immediately after invaded by a player. Chasing the player around next thing I see is a Giant Crab crashing the party. As I try to get some distance from it, I accidently pulled the big dude with the Exile Greatsword. It was a clusterfuck of a free-for-all and we somehow prevailed. That was fun.

Derpot

For my JP run, I actually did both of those bosses on my first try, because I was using the
Butcher's Knife
and had already started going all-in on Strength by that point.

Earlier game, with a Quality build, has been super rough. The first of those bosses feels like an RNG fest of "Will it Charge me? Is it going to do that damn floppy charge move?"

"OCELOOOOOOTH!!!"

Wow, is the
Butcher's Knife
that strong?
To be honest, I have never used this weapon in the other games.

Sylas

The coolest part of the
Farron's Undead Legion/Abyss Watchers
fight is that the song tells the story of what happened
to make them attack each other.
You need to have played/understand the lore of DS2 for it, but it's goddamn cool as fuck.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
You get an item to do this after the third boss. Turn it in to the little guy on the throne.

third boss for me was the
tree
, is that it? well Ive killed 3 more after that so im sure I have the item

edit: oh its this crap? ive had it for ages lol

J-Skee

At work going through major withdrawal right now. I haven't felt like this since Bloodborne & MGSV. I might need an excuse to leave early.

Veelk

Banned
I got dark souls, and I'm already missing bloodborne. The riposte timing is so wierd, and I miss being able to shoot people and I want to quickstep dodge. I'll get used to it, I'm sure, but right now, I feel like something is just off.

Anyone have any advice for the (third boss)
tree dude? It seems you can only hit him at one spot, and I really didn't do much damage to him in the place I was hitting. Is there some other way to do it, or just dodge his large sweeping strikes and prepare for a long battle?

Still can't beat the first boss. Maybe I shouldn't have rolled deprived.

My Strategy (I started deprived too):

Like most souls games, being right next to the boss gives you way more protection than you would think. Remember to roll INTO his attack and towards his rear, especially when he is grounded. Side dodges are usually more effective on jumping attacks. Don't get greedy, 2-3 hits and get your guard back up.

Good Luck!

Pat

tree dude? It seems you can only hit him at one spot, and I really didn't do much damage to him in the place I was hitting. Is there some other way to do it, or just dodge his large sweeping strikes and prepare for a long battle?

He has many weak spots, look for the "eggs" on him (chest, back, feet). When you destroy one, his HP goes down dramatically.

takriel

There are actually multiple spots you can hit him!

Neoweee

"OCELOOOOOOTH!!!"

Wow, is the
Butcher's Knife
that strong?
To be honest, I have never used this weapon in the other games.

It has great scaling, damage, and poise damage, and is about 40% longer than it has any right to be. It sweeps out a huge box even on its initial backswing.

explodet

I have been tasked to figure out if any of the potential NPCs in Firelink Shrine will pull a Yurt.

Can anybody let me know, or at least point me in the direction of a resource?

I got dark souls, and I'm already missing bloodborne. The riposte timing is so wierd, and I miss being able to shoot people and I want to quickstep dodge. I'll get used to it, I'm sure, but right now, I feel like something is just off.

Yeah, parrying seems bad right now compared to dark souls 1 or bloodborne, Hopefully I can adjust.

Godan

So i did the thing with Yoel to get the dark sigil but removed it with the fire keeper. Am i able to get the dark sigil back again?

Derpot

The coolest part of the
Farron's Undead Legion/Abyss Watchers
fight is that the song tells the story of what happened
to make them attack each other.
You need to have played/understand the lore of DS2 for it, but it's goddamn cool as fuck.

The Abyss Watchers fight is my favorite boss fight so far. Goddamn, the atmosphere and the music are so awesome. And their armor is stylish as fuck, get a Bloodborne vibe from it.

It has great scaling, damage, and poise damage, and is about 40% longer than it has any right to be. It sweeps out a huge box even on its initial backswing.

Hmmm, maybe I'll do a run with it, sounds fun! Thanks!

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Still saying this is the best Dark Souls? I haven't bought a game in a few months, and I'm looking to acquire.

There are quite a few weak spots if you search around him, just take it slow and easy, go in for safe hits when you can. Eventually you will probably destroy all the weak spots at which point he should be almost dead so you can finish him off with a couple of hits to the hand.

Navy Bean

I used it in my first run and it's great (except for the 2H strong swing). Plus, the "sharpening" skill just looks cool.

Yeah, parrying seems bad right now compared to dark souls 1 or bloodborne, Hopefully I can adjust.

I haven't performed a single parry/riposte yet in my playthrough.

Having a 100% Physical Block shield seems remove the ability to parry. Which I am OK with. It always seemed odd to me that a shield that is big enough to guard any damage could be used to parry.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Killed the boss and I'm now back on track for the portion I missed, on the bright side I'm over leveled for this area so I feel safe for once :D

KAOz

Short bus special
late game spoilers
how do i get the big green door to open in anor londo ? the one next to the red eyed silver knight

Do you mean the one straight up the stairs from the bonfire? If so; from the inside.

If you mean the one the enemy is patrolling near the ledge; then no, it cant be opened.

E92 M3

Something really buggy seems to be going on: I randomly can't use bonfires, doors close off, yet I don't get invaded or anything. My NAT is open and everything.

No idea why this is happening.

I can't infuse my Claymore with a Heavy Gem at the blacksmith. The Heavy Gem is not on the list when I go to "Infuse Weapon". Do I need to be at another blacksmith for this?

Hostile_18

Banned
Loving the game. It's so hard to rank the souls games though as each one has its strengths and weaknesses.

I'd say there all pretty much on par with each other (haven't played Demon's).

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Can boss weapons be reinforced? I've just been using them for souls but I guess I should check to see if I like the movesets of future weapons.

And I've not been using Ember at all, should I be? I've not been because I CBA with PvP but I like all the other stuff online brings.

Jobbs

Banned
where'd the blind miracles lady go???!

I got a new tome and I rushed home to give it to her.. and she's not there!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I need miraclez!!!!

purg3

slept with Malkin
Can boss weapons be reinforced? I've just been using them for souls but I guess I should check to see if I like the movesets of future weapons.

And I've not been using Ember at all, should I be? I've not been because I CBA with PvP but I like all the other stuff online brings.

yes, they use twinkling titanite.

You get a health increase while being embered and can summon, but yes you can be invaded while in ember form

Soulhouf

I'm 7 hours in and it's fucking great, but man, it just ain't no Bloodborne. And this is coming from someone whose favourite game is unequivocally Dark Souls 1.

It just doesn't quite add up, when you assess the games chronologically. BB was such a great evolution in gameplay - such a refinement. The way it moved, the flow, the way it animated, the weapon transformations... It all came together so brilliantly.

I just can't help but think that DS3 feels like a "stepping stone", so to speak, to Bloodborne; as if BB was the game From always wanted to make. Kinda like an "oh, they've gone back to that, have they? Hmm. Okay" feeling.

I understand that all styles of Soulsborne have their place, but BB represents the finest iteration of the formula in my eyes.

I LOVE Bloodborne and I don't think any Souls game will ever reach that polished level.

BUT, I prefer Bloodborne to stay unique. Goofy imperfections are part of the Souls games and DS3 feels almost exactly like Demon's Souls which made me so happy.
Character faces you create are way behind the level of Bloodborne, but is that a flow? Absolutely not.

zma1013

Still can't beat the first boss. Maybe I shouldn't have rolled deprived.

I rolled deprived and used a simple strategy that's useful to anyone.

Stay far away, bait his high jumping attack, simply walk left or right, hit him twice after he lands, roll away and repeat. When he starts going into his second form, wail on him like crazy, roll away when he's actually out of the transformation animation. He should have very little health at this point. Then dodge to get behind him and attack. Do this maybe twice he should be dead. 2 hand the whole time, regular attacks, no shield.

I haven't performed a single parry/riposte yet in my playthrough.

Having a 100% Physical Block shield seems remove the ability to parry. Which I am OK with. It always seemed odd to me that a shield that is big enough to guard any damage could be used to parry.

Yeah but I parried my way through Demon's, Dark 1, and BB and had so much fun doing it! I'm thinking maybe I should roll a new character, go back and just die over and over parrying every enemy repeatedly until I unlearn the classic souls parry reflex.

purg3

slept with Malkin
repost:

What's a mad phantom? Is that to invade someone else's world? What are the benefits of invading? am 2 scared 2 try

Benefits of invading? It's fun, but mainly to rank up your covenants to the rewards

Mad Phantom? I think you are referring to NPC invaders. You get stuff for killing them, usually an item or equipment they have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom