• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, I feel weird when I see any rerefernce to DkS2. That game felt sooo different in terms of atmosphere, that it doesn't even feel like it belongs.. And no, I didn't hate it or anything, so I don't mean it in some sort of "it was garbage that doesn't belong" way. just, feels oddly out of place.

J-Rod

Heh, I wish I realized beforehand that you can choose to "protect" whichever messages you lay down to keep them from disappearing. If that mechanic was in the previous games I totally missed it.

I've had a couple popular ones I would have liked to keep.

It was definitely in DS2. I always try to make helpful notes, but it is always the most useless ones that get me the most recommends like "I did it!" or "good job!" after a boss. I end up protecting those. Meanwhile, the ones where I think I will surely be considered a hero that warn of an ambush or lead to a secret get squat.

Risible

So uhhhhh...the big tree boss...we're basically stabbing him in the nuts, right?
I mean, I can't be the only one that feels like that's what I'm doing?

Sorry Tree Bro :(

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Asking again but...

Considering either a Raw or a Magic infusion, and pondering which would be best for my caster build. Raw removes all scaling and would make every weapon I can use viable...magic would cut phys damage a little bit, but add magic damage which scales with Int.

Nere

So what weapon is everyone using here and how is it? I myself use a zweihander, really liked it in the previous 2 dark souls like it in this one aswell!!!

Would be great if anyone could answer this. (Don't really consider it a spoiler)

The Black Leather Armor in the game has the following description...

Why does this standard armor have such an embellished description? Does anyone know who the game is talking about?

black_leather_armor.png

I am inclined to agree with the other person who responded. I think it's a reference to
Stockpile Thomas, from Demon's Souls, who wore the regular leather set.
It's a joke because
Patches wears this, the black leather set.
. And he's obviously not as nice.

J-Rod

So that's why the messages were saying ladder here but I was seeing no ladder.....

Another spoilerish heads up:
there is some branching quest line stuff for Anri and Horace here too. You may want to look it up if care about that stuff.

Eumi

Did anyone else feel like the high wall feels weirdly separate from the rest of the world? It reminds me of the nightmare in BB in how it seems to just be a floating city. Or I guess really high up?

Asking again but...

Considering either a Raw or a Magic infusion, and pondering which would be best for my caster build. Raw removes all scaling and would make every weapon I can use viable...magic would cut phys damage a little bit, but add magic damage which scales with Int.

Make two weapons. One of each

That way you have a strong weapon against enemies resistant to magic damage

Cat Party

It is good if you aren't getting anything from your scaling, but there's a nuance of damage reduction that makes it worse. Damage Reduction is a flat reduction applied to each element, and Damage Absorption is a % reduction to remainder. So you kind of get double hit by the Reduction effect.
Good info, thanks.

I am inclined to agree with the other person who responded. I think it's a reference to
It's a joke because

I read it as a reference to how Patches sees himself, he loves himself

Nice post. I agree the game does a good job of paying homage to the previous Souls games. The level design and enemy design is so on point this time around, it's like the entire team really pulled all of their own experiences with the series to mould together this great game that thankfully doesn't feel like a case of "too many cooks spoil the broth" at all and if anything is the complete opposite, the game having three directors (one of which is new to the series) just means they creatively put together some really ingenuity on the aesthetics side as well the actual design side of things. The game just comes together so beautifully the more you play too. So glad to hear off folks in here that it justs stays this amazing throughout.

From is one of the best in the biz. I was concerned it would seem stale and repetitive, but Miyazaki and team have shown they still got it and have a ton of ideas. Tons of creativity.

The Polygon reviewer criticised the game for a lack of "surprises". I don't know what game he was playing, but it wasn't Dark Souls 3. This game has huge fucking surprises at every turn.

Zeliard

It was definitely in DS2. I always try to make helpful notes, but it is always the most useless ones that get me the most recommends like "I did it!" or "good job!" after a boss. I end up protecting those. Meanwhile, the ones where I think I will surely be considered a hero that warn of an ambush or lead to a secret get squat.

I lay down helpful ones as well but in my experience it's usually the "humorous" or referential ones that get me the most positive ratings like "Let there be Dark Spirit" placed after you [early'ish but missable?]
kill the Darkwraith that gets you the thing you need to invade people indefinitely.

Silly stuff like that seems to work well :p

Bullza2o

I just started the game today and was trying to use the Ember I found in the tutorial stage to summon my friend to play coop, but I could not use it. "Use" was grayed out. Does anybody know why? I really wanted to play coop with my friend.

Armaly

I have a question.

Is there someone like Yurt killing off my npcs? Just went to go check out the dude with the round thing on his back at firelink and he's dead.

psychotron

Since I've never invaded, nor been summoned in a souls game before, I have a few questions.

If I joint a covenant like The Blue Sentinels, I'm summoned to help someone...am I just teleported there or am I asked first if I want to help?

If I help them and am successful, I know I get a souls bonus, but if I die am I hollowed and lose all my souls? Or am I just returned to my game where I was?

ZangBa

When I got to
Irithyll
I thought I was in
Zanarkand
for a second, lol.

Place looks like concept art in motion. I know the graphics might not be technically impressive but I've never seen anything that looks this good in a video game.

Zeliard

Since I've never invaded, nor been summoned in a souls game before, I have a few questions.

If I joint a covenant like The Blue Sentinels, I'm summoned to help someone...am I just teleported there or am I asked first if I want to help?

If I help them and am successful, I know I get a souls bonus, but if I die am I hollowed and lose all my souls? Or am I just returned to my game where I was?

You're teleported immediately to that player, and you don't lose anything if you or the host die.

You just return to where you were, and in my experience the game is better now about returning you to a state where you aren't gonna be stunlocked by ten enemies if you were fighting just before you were summoned.

I have a question.

Is there someone like Yurt killing off my npcs? Just went to go check out the dude with the round thing on his back at firelink and he's dead.

That happens after you
draw out strength 5 times. The new npc next to him explains that you completed his quest

Ferr986

Man, I feel weird when I see any rerefernce to DkS2. That game felt sooo different in terms of atmosphere, that it doesn't even feel like it belongs.. And no, I didn't hate it or anything, so I don't mean it in some sort of "it was garbage that doesn't belong" way. just, feels oddly out of place.

I actually feel odd myself seeing so much DS1 references cause (DS2 somewhat spoilers)
it was supposed that old kingdoms disapeared, ended up forgotten and new kingdoms arised.

But yet everything in DS1 is back in full force again, like nothing happened. Astora, Catarina...

bounchfx

FUCK. almost beat boss but died and lost 5000 souls. i revive, use an ember so I can go back and try again/get the souls. we get most of the way there but one of my phantoms dies to something stupid, then someone invades, and the other guy runs away and I get rekt. RIP.

didnt realize red phantoms would take your humanity/ember too. arrrgh.

Lakitu

st5fu
I must be a sadist, as I seem to love getting killed in this game. It's just a combination of things but most of all, it can be unintentionally hilarious. Example: F
arron
W
oods
spoiler...
Going to that bridge with that massive enemy and when he grabbed me, completely throw me off the bridge and into oblivion.

FUCK. almost beat boss but died and lost 5000 souls. i revive, use an ember so I can go back and try again/get the souls. we get most of the way there but one of my phantoms dies to something stupid, then someone invades, and the other guy runs away and I get rekt. RIP.

didnt realize red phantoms would take your humanity/ember too. arrrgh.

Spend your souls people!!!

Really loving the decision to give nearly every enemy in the game gigantic polearms that turns them into whirling dervishes of destruction with split-second reaction times.

I'm not.

Jyrii

Banned
I still haven't found a weapon I like. I still use Longsword, but it hasn't got very good reach. Most other weapons are too slow for me.

Also is there a trick to the 3rd boss fight
the tree
I do pretty horrible dmg against it.

J-Rod

I actually feel odd myself seeing so much DS1 references cause (DS2 somewhat spoilers)
it was supposed that old kingdoms disapeared, ended up forgotten and new kingdoms arised.

But yet everything in DS1 is back in full force again, like nothing happened. Astora, Catarina...

I thought it was odd too that some locations are in better shape and are better preserved in 3 than they were in 2.

Doop

I still haven't found a weapon I like. I still use Longsword, but it hasn't got very good reach. Most other weapons are too slow for me.

Also is there a trick to the 3rd boss fight
the tree
I do pretty horrible dmg against it.

Keep hitting the weakpoints. Eventually they burst for a ton of damage.

bounchfx

Spend your souls people!!!

haha, I wish. it was from one run, and unless I wanted to do it ALL OVER AGAIN and lose my buddies too, I had no choice. :(

but it did teach me that you pick up multiple embers and can essentially reincarnate whenever as long a you have one

zma1013

It's a joke because

Yeah you might be right because of his particular dialog. I guess it can work for both. I didn't realize he also wore the set.

J-Rod

I did it once and when I went back there wasn't a new npc.

He dies after you progress up to a certain point in the game. Faron's knights boss fight I think? If you leveled up 5 times with him before his death, then another npc will show up in his place. If you don't, then that is the end of it I think.

Ok the A
byss Watchers
boss fight is super lame. The actual fight is fun, but having to
keep doing the first phase each time is awful. It should have just been separated as half a health bar to register like the rest if it wasn't going to recognize it as a checkpoint.

aravuus

Aww man, I'm a terrible invader. I don't want to actually kill the guys I invade lmao, this area is fucking hard already.

Can't get summoned as a blue sentinel, unfortunately.

I was excited that I cleared the first boss on my third attempt yesterday until I found out I had to fight multiple mini versions of him 20 minutes later. Think that was a dumb choice, leave the boss mechanics unique to them.

Started warrior and the axe trick or whatever is really lackluster. The damage boost seems nice but it leaves you open and the stun doesn't always connect to mobs so you are forced to eat damage sometimes.

we bloodborne now

5wBTTYh.gif

You can get a dagger at Firelink that has that ability right in the beginning I believe

Okay that's something o.o Could I use this also while having it equipped in my offhand so I can keep using my Uchigatana while getting Bloodborne evades? :eek:

So I summoned some help and the guy just waited outside the boss door the whole time!

Thanks a lot asshole sunbro

Well it might have been a bug! I've been sunbro helping alot at the first real boss and had two instances already where I simply couldn't enter the fog even though my host was already visibly fighting and losing health :/

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
guys I gave the handmaiden the
tomb ashes
and I still cant buy the
abyss
set ;_;

halp

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I did feel a big nostalgia swell climbing that ladder in (area/enemy spoilers)
Farron Keep and stepping out onto that very Dark Souls wall and seeing the Stray Demon. Also, while fighting the Stray Demon, I managed to hack its legs off, which results in this really alarming and sad new animation set where it writhes around and wails.

I had no idea you can do that. I need to find a vid of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom