• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Respect

Feel like it is slower than I was expecting (attack speed, etc.), but enjoying the hell out of it regardless.

Also like that I don't look like a zombie on resurrection. That was disturbing to look at.

Ostinatto

Turtle guy does it for free but it adds to your hollowing/dark sign. How often you can get him to level you for free is based on your number of deaths. You may want to get 5 levels from him if you want to progress that storyline. You will also start to look hollow from dying if you accept levels from him.

So it is a bad thing to
level up
with him?

late game ish spoilers..

holy crap at the enemies in the profaned capitol. some of them are so disgusting. Just got myself the covetous serpent ring. here's hoping I get loot. Those baby hand things though.. the way they roll and suck souls... ugh.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
4 more bosses down, i think i'm getting near the end.

Iudex Gundyr
- 0 deaths
Vordt of the Boreal Valley
- 1 death
Curse-rotted Greatwood
- 5 deaths
Crystal Sages
- 1 death
Deacons of the Deep
- 0 deaths
Abyss Watchers
- 4 deaths
High Lord Wolnir
- 2 deaths
Pontiff Sulyvahn
- 6 deaths
Aldrich the Devourer of Gods
- 5 deaths
Dancer of the Frigid Valley
- 2 deaths
Yhorm the Giant
- 1 death
Dragonslayer Armor
- 0 deaths
Lothric and Lorian
- 4 deaths
Occeiros the Consumed King
- 0 deaths
Champion Gundyr
- 5 deaths

I love reading everyones souls stories

Probably the best part of a new game release when you are stuck at work!

Currently on way home to play the rest of the day woooooooo!!

Are there any NPC summons? That seems like something that is oddly absent from the game. Maybe I am just missing it in the sea of player summon signs, but they don't seem as prevalent as in the first 2 games.

J-Rod

So it is a bad thing to
level up
with him?

I guess it just depends. There is no material disadvantage as far as I know, just cosmetic. There may be some quest line consequences that I am unaware of, though. And removing the
dark sign costs a lot of souls. However, accepting the levels does progress a certain story line that leads to an ending.

Got home from work super late last night but still got an hour of DSIII in before bed.

My first action was to fight the katana-wielding dude outside of the Firelink Shrine. LOL. He killed me at least 10 times before I managed to knock him off the cliff by pure luck. I was so pumped when I got the katana... until I saw it requires 16 dex and I only have 9. And I've been spending all my souls on leveling vigor so now it's expensive to level up stats. It's gonna be a long time before I can get dex to 16. feelsbadman.jpg

Despite that setback, I managed to fight my way to the 2nd boss and defeat it on the 3rd try. And that's where I left off. This game is a harsh mistress but oh god I can't wait to get home and play more!

jonjonaug

Are there any NPC summons? That seems like something that is oddly absent from the game. Maybe I am just missing it in the sea of player summon signs, but they don't seem as prevalent as in the first 2 games.
At many boss fights, yes. Some require you to be doing their sidequest.

Jarsonot

Oh, just remembered one thing that bugs me - you can't rotate the camera during a backstab anymore! I like to get that animation going and look around for the next victim, keep track of enemy movements and whatnot, but nope!

Not huge, but annoying.

Get'sMad

Irinia (the blind miracle npc) vanished after expressing some concern over the dark miracles tome I gave her.

I've been wondering where she was and I figured it out.

I started looking around outside firelink and down near the opening boss fight (the undex guy or whatever) was Morne. He was pissed that I made her sell me dark miracles and he aggroed me. After I killed him I got his weapon, shield, and his armor is now being sold by the merchant at firelink. I also got Irina back. <3

I've still never gotten this to trigger for me or I've just not gone back and checked at the right time when she disappears or something...I've given her the dark tome every play-through so far (on my 3rd now) too.

daninthemix

Anyone got any tips for the High Wall? This game seems much, much harder than Dark Souls, as if there's a Black Knight-caliber enemy around every corner. I've spent most of the game so far either guard-broken or stunlocked.

Anyone got any tips for the High Wall? This game seems much, much harder than Dark Souls, as if there's a Black Knight-caliber enemy around every corner. I've spent most of the game so far either guard-broken or stunlocked.

I thought so too right, I played for like 1.5 hrs last night and thought it was waaay tougher. The problem also could be I've been playing DS2 on PS4 with a high leveled character and schooling things

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I've never done the PvP stuff, if I die while helping someone do I lose my Souls? Wondering if it's viable to do that a couple of times before my next boss.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
the armor was there in the vendor all along, it just has a different name than I expected, and different icons

it looks so good, I have a fashionboner right now

also fuck you
high lord cuntface
die in a fire (actually that wasnt that hard, 4th or 5th try)

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I've never done the PvP stuff, if I die while helping someone do I lose my Souls? Wondering if it's viable to do that a couple of times before my next boss.

Dying in coop doesn't really cost you anything other then any items you expended while doing it.

KHlover

Banned
Dodge roll is your friend against those armored enemies. That or git good with parrying. Also don't stand too close to them, all you'll get for that is a shield in your face. Keep mid distance and roll through their combos. Then go for a backstab or, if that fails, keep whacking em with R1 attacks until your stamina is barely enough for one roll. Roll away to gain distance and repeat.

Sullichin

Don't think you lose souls, but if you do you spawn right in front of your bloodstain anyway

If you die as an invader, your souls will be where you died in the host's game.

MilkBeard

My PS Plus subscription ran out a while back, so I've just been playing the game offline. Feels good, reminds me of when I braved through Dark Souls 1 by myself long ago. Playing with and without online functions gives a little bit different experience. Maybe next go-round I will do online. We'll see.

Soulflarz

Banned
If 70% is the medium roll leaving point, upgrading equip load is largely pointless unless youre extremely heavy and at say, 72%

I can't justify it, since being at 55% or 65% doesn't make a diff.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
You 100% do not lose your souls when you are summoned for coop. This has been the case since Demon's Souls.

And to do this I just go to some boss area and look for a white marking or?

My PS Plus subscription ran out a while back, so I've just been playing the game offline. Feels good, reminds me of when I braved through Dark Souls 1 by myself long ago. Playing with and without online functions gives a little bit different experience. Maybe next go-round I will do online. We'll see.

I'm in the same boat, but am about to pull the trigger on PS+ now. I miss playing online with people so much, in my opinion it makes it a much better experience.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
And to do this I just go to some boss area and look for a white marking or?

You create a marking (by buying the White Soapstone from the merchant in Firelink) and wait for someone to summon you.

Using someone elses marking summons them to help you.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
what is the natural progression ofter the
catacombs
?
smouldering lake
or the
pretty place with all the lights after the skelly boss
?

Sylas

what is the natural progression ofter the
catacombs
?
smouldering lake