• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

kionedrik

I don't know how anyone would meet Kaathe without a guide.

Seeing as after Anor Londo you can do whatever you want in whatever order you want, it doesn't seem that far off that someone went to the 4K first and found out. If you add the fact that the game rewards you with multiple playthroughs, the probability of finding it out alone is close to 100%.

Randam

Seeing as after Anor Londo you can do whatever you want in whatever order you want, it doesn't seem that far off that someone went to the 4K first and found out. If you add the fact that the game rewards you with multiple playthroughs, the probability of finding it out alone is close to 100%.

I dont know too, how one would not speak to framp when he first shows up.

you almost have to go to the 4 kings before ringing the too bells.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Since a lot of covenants and bosses might be missed or skipped on your first play, I bet many of the developers expected certain areas or bosses to remain undiscovered until NG. I didn't kill Gwyndolin, join the Blue Sentinels, Gravelords or Darkwraiths nor did I visit the Painted World on my first blind play. I only lucked into finding Great Hollow and Ash Lake because of my irrational fear of Mimics.

Chitown B

Yes to the first part.

What? to the second part.

You can't go to 4K without ringing both bells. Unless you somehow know to kill the key dude with arrows from afar for no good reason.

Why's that? Couldn't someone drain anor londo after Sif and simply kill the kings?

No, since Anor Londo is needed to unblock all the golden doorways - you have to get the Lord Vessel first. When you get back to Firelink, you'd see Frampt and who would NOT go see what he was about?

Obviously there are some that would find it out, but a very very low amount considering the order of doing things and seeing Frampt.

Mistel

Banned
No, since Anor Londo is needed to unblock all the golden doorways - you have to get the Lord Vessel first. When you get back to Firelink, you'd see Frampt and who would NOT go see what he was about?
There's no yellow fog in new londo though that needs the lord vessel so what's to stop anyone from actually doing it before hand?

kionedrik

You can't go to 4K without ringing both bells. Unless you somehow know to kill the key dude with arrows from afar for no good reason.

The 4K don't have a golden gate, so you can do them whenever you want, even before ringing any bell.

My first playthrough was blind and like many (all?) I spoke with Frampt and followed his questline. In NG+ I knew what I had to do and went to New Londo after ringing the bells and before Sens. Since I knew Ingward was supposed to give me the key, when he didn't, because I still didn't have the Lordvessel, I killed him. When I defeated the 4K I met Kaathe. I did this without guides, so it's quite possible to find him in a blind playthrough, although I agree that in NG it's near impossible.

Randam

you can do the 4 kings as the 3rd boss in the game.

asylum demon, sif and then 4 kings.

My first playthrough was blind and like many (all?) I spoke with Frampt and followed his questline. In NG+ I knew what I had to do and went to New Londo after ringing the bells and before Sens. Since I knew Ingward was supposed to give me the key, when he didn't, because I still didn't have the Lordvessel, I killed him. When I defeated the 4K I met Kaathe. I did this without guides, so it's quite possible to find him in a blind playthrough, although I agree that in NG it's near impossible.

how come, you didn't talk to frampt again that time?

kionedrik

how come, you didn't talk to frampt again that time?

I did. Later I read that Kaathe appears as long as you haven't placed the Lordvessel using Frampt services. It's a smart design choice that allows people like me to be lucky in finding Kaathe.

icy_eagle

This seems to be the best place to ask, but do you guys know where I can buy Dark Souls digitally on pc? Amazon seems to be US only...

Chitown B

Why's that? Couldn't someone drain anor londo after Sif and simply kill the kings?

There's no yellow fog in new londo though that needs the lord vessel so what's to stop anyone from actually doing it before hand?

Sorry, I forgot the issue. Which was he won't give it to you unless you have the Lord Vessel. Which, either way you wouldn't know you should kill him to get something that you didn't even know what it was for or the ramifications of killing him.

Yeah, you can go four kings very early but I dont remember if four kings have a yellow wall like the other lords.

Its really hard in a first run to meet Kaathe because the default storyline makes you meet frampt and you get the idea he is the only serpent in the game, I think someone could meet kaathe if they just go to four kings without placing the lord vessel at all, completely clueless about placing the lord vessel with frampt

Deitus

Talking to the serpent thingy and he let's you out or just poison yourself or homeward bone?

Does Kaathe actually warp you out if you don't have the vessel? Because if you talk to him after you have the vessel, he'll only warp you to the kiln.

As for homeward bone/suicide, that would only work if you don't touch the bonfire down there.

Mistel

Banned
Does Kaathe actually warp you out if you don't have the vessel? Because if you talk to him after you have the vessel, he'll only warp you to the kiln.

As for homeward bone/suicide, that would only work if you don't touch the bonfire down there.
Yes he does he warps you back to firelink regardless of you having it or not. Well why would you need to light that bonfire anyway? I just left as there's no need to ever go back there.

Deitus

Yes he does he warps you back to firelink regardless of you having it or not. Well why would you need to light that bonfire anyway? I just left as there's no need to ever go back there.

If I see a bonfire, I'm gonna light it. I just am. But beyond that, if you join his covenant, it's a lot faster to warp there than to go through New Londo to level up in the covenant.

That's interesting that he warps you too firelink though. I only ever encountered him after getting the Lordvessel, and the warp option only takes you to and from the altar where you place the vessel.

Mistel

Banned
That's interesting that he warps you too firelink though. I only ever encountered him after getting the Lordvessel, and the warp option only takes you to and from the altar where you place the vessel.
It's the altar where he warps you not the shrine. Sorry I wasn't clear really.

Darkwraits covenant need that bonfire to rank up. Also you learn the true story from him if you show him the lordvessel before put it in the altar.

Mistel

Banned
Darkwraits covenant need that bonfire to rank up. Also you learn the true story from him if you show him the lordvessel before put it in the altar.
Oh do you I left my new game right outside the fog gate so I can join the dark wraiths. I'm going to do that at some point.

who says whos story is the real one?

Both are true but framp not doesnt tells you entire truth while Kaathe expand it telling you
about gwyn's fear of humans chaotic nature and doesnt desire the humans being the owners of their own fate but usen them as a fuel to continue the age of fire.

Nerokis

I don't know how anyone would meet Kaathe without a guide.

Yeah, I didn't meet him until NG+. The funny thing is, though, that I almost went out of my way not to meet him the first time around. I explored New Londo quite a bit even before killing Quelaag, and I went and explored it even more after getting the Lordvessel and refusing to place it because I wasn't 100% sure if I'd preserve the warp ability. After I stumbled upon the healer guy and he began talking about things I hadn't yet fully experienced (I'm not sure if I had even met Frampt up to this point, because I missed him pre-Sen's/Anor Londo!), I decided to go back instead of moving forward because I felt like I was jumping ahead of the story.

The same applies to the DLC, actually. I very likely would have discovered it, if only I hadn't consciously refused to kill the passive crystal golem in Duke's Archives. He seemed to be absorbed in something, and I found it charming.

This is a really good reason actually.

Being nimble helps against Ornstein, having fast roll helps for getting out of the butt bounce at the last minute. A good shield also helps, Eagle Shield is perfect - high stability and lowest(?) stats of all the great shield and it's wood so it has high lightning defense. Pyromancy is also good against him.

That's what I've been trying, so far. I know I've made lots of ill-timed decisions in terms of rolling/blocking and such. The camera gets pretty brutal when locked on and trying to keep an eye on both of them at once, though.

Thanks for the suggestion on the Eagle Shield, I might give that a shot. I took a quick look at the wiki, I definitely need to switch out the Knight Shield for the Silver Knight Shield at the very least for that added lightning defense.

Mistel

Banned
Alright, I bought it for 25 Euro. Hope it's worth it. PS+ has made me such a cheap bastard when it comes to buying games :p
It certainly is worth it even more so if you've got the one with the dlc on disk.

Shoes either the eagle shield or the silver knight shield are good choices of use against Ornstein and Smough.

I don't see how you can drain New Londo without the Lordvessel. I remember speaking to the guy in the red robe before I had the Lordvessel and he didn't give me the key to the seal. Unless you get the key by killing him?

The NPC interaction in this game is just too confusing.

That's what I've been trying, so far. I know I've made lots of ill-timed decisions in terms of rolling/blocking and such. The camera gets pretty brutal when locked on and trying to keep an eye on both of them at once, though.

Thanks for the suggestion on the Eagle Shield, I might give that a shot. I took a quick look at the wiki, I definitely need to switch out the Knight Shield for the Silver Knight Shield at the very least for that added lightning defense.

Sweet baby jesus, I beat them. My hands are shaking from how tense it got! I had a couple REALLY close attempts... then I got rattled, had about an hour of mediocre tries, then... it happened. I recorded it too, just for giggles!

I always kill Ornstein first. Mega Smough's attacks are easy to dodge, whereas Super Ornstein has huge range, is difficult to hit, can do his impaling attack, as well as his jump-back attack.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
So fucking lame. I am on my second playthrough (new character) and struggling with O&S, switch to crystal halberd, easily beat Smough, handling Ornstein well, down to half health, and he glitches through the wall, doesn't reappear, and eventually it gives me the victory. The best boss fight in the game and the thrill of victory is stolen from me because of a crappy glitch. Sucks.

onionfrog

Spent some time grinding the Royal Sentinels in Anor Londo for Titanite Chunks. I should have enough to upgrade my Balder Side Sword and Longbow to +14 once I get the Very Large Ember.

I killed Sif and he was very easy. When are you normally supposed to fight him? Because he was a pushover compared to O&S. it seems like you'd have nothing to worry about fighting Sif as long as you have a shield that blocks 100% of physical damage and decent stability.

Heading to New Londo Ruins next since I want that very large ember ASAP.

Yay, post it when it's up! :)

Well, it's recorded... but the quality makes it virtually unwatchable. I was getting tired of messing with the settings in OBS and just wanted to play, I guess I screwed something up. No video :( Kind of sucks, I wanted to upload some of my failures!

Nice job, Shoes!

I've never beaten them without Solaire's help...

Thanks! I wish I could have had his help and gotten a Medal out of it... but I didn't have any humanity, and no one was rating my "need humanity" pleas! :p

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Well, it's recorded... but the quality makes it virtually unwatchable. I was getting tired of messing with the settings in OBS and just wanted to play, I guess I screwed something up. No video :( Kind of sucks, I wanted to upload some of my failures!

Thanks! I wish I could have had his help and gotten a Medal out of it... but I didn't have any humanity, and no one was rating my "need humanity" pleas! :p

Is that what "Need Humanity" means?!

Deitus

I always assumed it meant they wanted someone to throw a fight against them or something :eek:

Usually it means they want someone to summon them for a boss fight so they can regain humanity. But since there is no way to tell who wrote a message, it's pretty useless to leave that message.

Mistel

Banned
The only messages I found involved thrust and chests that was all over the main hall of Anor Londo. There's loads in the sequel though some places are plastered in them.

Top Bottom