• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darkstalkers Chronicles (PSP) Interview

The interview with producer,Minae Matsukawa, is slightly old (10/8/2004) but a good read nonetheless. The full interview can be read at the link provided below. Sorry if old:)

http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200410/N04.1008.1626.10118.htm

----------------------------------
"GI: Will the game be a straight port?

Matsukawa: The game is actually half a port and half not. The part that is being ported is from an old Dreamcast game that you could only buy online in Japan. Even though it’s a port, it’s not something that Americans have ever had the chance to play. Basically it includes all five installments of the game that were ever released in Japan, because there were only three released in the US. In addition to that we’re touched up some areas and added some other modes which make the game have some more content. That’s what I mean by saying that the game isn’t strictly a port."

etiolate

Banned
Riskbreaker said:
According to Gamefront, Capcom is supposedly releasing a new (ARCADE) Vampire game next year. Hopefully, a Ps2 port isn't far off......

Please let there be new sprites.

explodet said:
New arcade Darkstalkers? About damn time!

I'm a little concern though since Gamefront was the only site that announced this title...but who knows??? Isn't the core staff with Arc Systems?

ourumov

we’re touched up some areas
Hmmm...kinda curious to know what they mean.

I know the sprites will rest untouched but perhaps they added 3D content/ more frames of animation to the VS classic BGs.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Riskbreaker said:
Matsukawa: The game is actually half a port and half not. The part that is being ported is from an old Dreamcast game that you could only buy online in Japan. Even though it’s a port, it’s not something that Americans have ever had the chance to play. Basically it includes all five installments of the game that were ever released in Japan, because there were only three released in the US. In addition to that we’re touched up some areas and added some other modes which make the game have some more content. That’s what I mean by saying that the game isn’t strictly a port."

So let me get this straight:

Darkstalkers
Vampire Hunter/Night Warriors
Vampire Savior
Vampire Savior 2
Vampire Hunter 2

What about the PSX Darkstalkers 3? That's the only version that had all of the characters from the series. VS, VS2, and VH2 are missing 3 characters each. I hope you can use all 18 characters in one of the modes.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
SS Vampire Savior had all chars, too.

Also I still think that Capcom's main arcade development division was killed when Cap Fighting All Stars was cancelled, so I'd have to ask who is making an arcade Vampire game before tribulating over the sprites, characters, etc.

Yeah, the last three games are just ripoffs that couldn't fit all 18 characters at once, so they're missing some. The home ports are the only "real" third part of the series.

I hope this game includes the stages and music of earlier games. I don't want a "complete" game like Hyper Street Fighter with all characters but only one game system.

"If you?re going to do a 2D fighting game you just need pixel drawing and things like that. "

So they're actually going to produce new sprites somewhere in the game? Or is he talking about the guy that Photoshops the Chronicles logo to add "Chaos Tower"? ;)

"but I can say that every single hidden character that?s ever appeared in a Darkstalkers game will appear in this game"

Meh. Every "hidden" character in a Darkstalkers game was in Darkstalkers 3 as well. Demitri, Morrigan, Lilith, Sasquatch, Bishamon, Rikuo, Victor, Felicia, Hsien-Ko, Raptor, Q-Bee, BB Hood, Jedah, Pyron, Donovan, Anakaris, Huitzil and Talbain, plus Oboro Bishamon, Marionette and Shadow.

Still, the Dreamcast version wasn't playable on RGB systems, so I never got a chance to play the only "perfect" port of a Darkstalkers. If this is indeed perfect, it's worth buying just for that. Besides, it will easily be the best portable fighter. SFA3 GBA? Yeah right.

"Another producer here at Capcom is making a title called Capcom Fighting Evolution"

Interesting. So Capcom have two different teams working on 2D fighters right now. Not bad.

jarrod

Banned
dog$ said:
SS Vampire Savior had all chars, too.

Also I still think that Capcom's main arcade development division was killed when Cap Fighting All Stars was cancelled, so I'd have to ask who is making an arcade Vampire game before tribulating over the sprites, characters, etc.
Capcom's AM division was actually absorbed into the consumer teams (it was their Tokyo Studio, who mainly did inhouse PC ports that was completely let go). Most of the arcade guys are at Production Studio 1 now afaik, but this game's being done by Production Studio 5.

I'm also doubting the new arcade Vampire is really a "new" game. More likely it'll be an anniversary collective rerelease like Hyper SF2X.

SiegfriedFM said:
Interesting. So Capcom have two different teams working on 2D fighters right now. Not bad.
It's mostly PS1, though PS2, PS3 and PS5 have done ports as well.

Production Studio 1
-Marvel Vs Capcom (DC/PS)
-Street Fighter Alpha 3 (DC/PS/SS)
-Marvel Vs Capcom 2 (DC)
-Capcom Vs SNK (DC)
-Vampire Chronicle (DC)
-Capcom VS SNK Pro (PC/PS)
-Capcom Vs SNK 2 (DC/PS2)
-Capcom Vs SNK 2 EO (GC/XB)
-Capcom Fighting Evolution (PS2/XB)

Production Studio 2
-Street Fighter III Double Impact (DC)
-Street Fighter III 3rd Strike (DC)
-Super Street Fighter IIX (DC)
-Street Fighter Anniversary Collection (PS2)

Production Studio 3
-Super Street Fighter II Turbo (GBA)
-Marvel Vs Capcom 2 (PS2/XB)
-Street Fighter Anniversary Collection (XB)

Production Studio 5
-DarkStalkers Chronicle (PSP)

...PS5 used to be Capcom's mobile division btw, this will be their first dedicated "console" game.

MoxManiac

This is the game that will make me get a PSP. It's definitely one of the best fighting series Capcom has ever produced, and probably one of their most balanced as well...I'd love to see a PS2 version as well but that seems unlikely.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Saturnman said:
Are they going to charge $50 like for other PSP games? What a ripoff.

Depends on who you ask...

I know that the Dreamcast game could cost you quite a pretty penny to get ahold of, so in a way, it could be considered a deal...

However, it seems possible that the game would be released for something like $29.99 (as has been common for similar Capcom titles as of late).

Takuan

I've always liked the Darkstalkers cast of characters, but never thought the gameplay was anything special. Maybe the new game will have more to it.

explodet

Yeah, Darkstalkers was never a "hardcore" fighter - you won't see too many discussions about priority or balance compared to games like SFIII or Virtua Fighter.

Just a fun little fighting game with some neat characters.

Top Bottom