• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Datel breaks 360 memory card protection - cheaper memory units!

itsgreen

Datel Hacks Xbox360 Memory Card Protection - 2/4GB Memcards
>> Datel launched a 2GB (40 USD) and 4GB (50 USD) Memory Card compatible with the Xbox360. It even includes a Micro SD slot for more memory (up to 16GB). Afaik this is the first unofficial memory card for the Xbox360 (unlike normal USB memory sticks/hdds these can be used as real memory card to store gamesaves and XBL content). Looks like Datel managed to bypass/hack the protection Microsoft uses on their memcards.

From codejunkies.com:
MAX Memory 4GB is a 100% compatible memory card for the Xbox 360 that includes an incredible 4GB of high speed flash memory - that's 64x the size of a standard 360 memory card!

If you don't have a hard drive you're going to need a memory card if you want to use Xbox L!ve, save your progress in games or make use of new content like themes or expansions; MAX Memory is the perfect choice for storing and transporting all this content.

By including a massive 4GB of storage capacity, MAX Memory is a fantastic value alternative to a hard drive. What makes MAX Memory even better value is the fact that it can be expanded using any Micro SD memory card, including SDHC (High Capacity) up to an incredible 16GB. Since Micro SD is one of the best value memory formats available, MAX Memory can be expanded to provide all the save capacity you'll ever need at a minimum cost.

MAX Memory is the only Xbox 360 memory card to offer all of these features:
* 100% compatible with Xbox 360
* Huge 4GB of storage capacity - 64x the size of a standard memory card
* Expandable up to 16GB with snap-in Micro SD cards
* Backup, restore and access files from your PC
* Plug-and-Play

via http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox1data/sep/EkukkVyuEpkuKfSHAj.php

Pretty good news when you look at the prices of MS build memory cards... wonder how MS will react to this...

Sean

Banned
I would not buy one of these if I were you guys. This seems like something that MS could render useless with a dashboard update.

larvi

Nice. Competition is a good thing. Now how about 3rd party hard drives, power supplies and wireless controllers?

Oh shit. If I am understanding this correctly I could back up my profile and saves to this card. Then, I could make copys of the data, put them on other datel cards and use them in other 360s, essentially having a bnch of systems running my profile and saves. The reason I want this is because I run tournaments and it is a pain in the ass to unlock everything on tons of systems. MS's locking of saves to profiles pisses me off.

Accident

UnholySpectacle said:
Oh shit. If I am understanding this correctly I could back up my profile and saves to this card. Then, I could make copys of the data, put them on other datel cards and use them in other 360s, essentially having a bnch of systems running my profile and saves. The reason I want this is because I run tournaments and it is a pain in the ass to unlock everything on tons of systems. MS's locking of saves to profiles pisses me off.

That probably won't work, the files would still be tied to the console.

acidviper

Banned
UnholySpectacle said:
You are a professional tournament runner?

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
With this card people would be able to pirate XBLA games? HOpe not :S

Accident said:
That probably won't work, the files would still be tied to the console.

The save files should not matter. I can understand not being able to run multiple copys of DLC. I am only talking about a single save file for something like SFIV. If I make a new profile, and choose to save data on the card, I should only have to unlock the characters for SFIV once and continually copy that data ober to new cards. If I choose to save to a memcard from the start I should be able to use that data on any system. Simple save files are not tied to a system. They are tied to a HDD or a mem card from the start. Meaning, if I choose HDD save then I can't load that data onto a mem card. But, if I start off using the mem card for the saves, I can use that profile and data on any 360 by copying it over and over via this software and datel product.

dgenx said:
With this card people would be able to pirate XBLA games? HOpe not :S

This should not work as Arcade titles are tied to the profile and system. If someone were to copy the profile and game, all MS would have to look for is the same profile that is online at the same time.

Nope they wont be able to pirate XBLA games with these devices.

Maybe Datel paid Microsoft for the license to release these larger memory cards because Microsoft don't want to make them. I doubt they would release these without any consultation with MS, I mean, as someone said, one firmware update could stop these from being recognised.

tokkun said:
No, because the protection employed in the memory cards is not used to protect copyright.

Questionable, right? I mean I don't think it'd be a protected TPM by Australian standards because it seems to only serve the purpose of protecting an economic monopoly, like the chips in printer cartridges, but I thought you guys were stricter on this stuff.

tokkun said:
No, because the protection employed in the memory cards is not used to protect copyright.

Then please, by all means, instruct me on how security mechanisms in printer cartridges are protecting copyright and not, in fact, blocking out cheaper 3rd party models.

UnholySpectacle said:
you can already do this with the datel memory card transfer kit for PC. i've got 2 360s with the same profile and gamesaves.

scissorfight said:
you can already do this with the datel memory card transfer kit for PC. i've got 2 360s with the same profile and gamesaves.

But I assume I would still need to have saved my data to a mem card to begin with, correct? So, I can just buy this kit and multiple cheap 360 mem cards and copy away?

UnholySpectacle said:
But I assume I would still need to have saved my data to a mem card to begin with, correct? So, I can just buy this kit and multiple cheap 360 mem cards and copy away?
you move it from the HDD to the mem card, copy to your pc using this kit, and then you can move that copy to any memory card as many times as you want. if your 360s have HDDs you don't even need multiple cards...you can just transfer the profile+saves to the HDD and copy to the same card again.

you just can't connect to live at the same time with the same profile on different 360s...but that's not an issue if you're doing local multiplayer for your tournaments.

scissorfight said:
you move it from the HDD to the mem card, copy to your pc using this kit, and then you can move that copy to any memory card as many times as you want. if your 360s have HDDs you don't even need multiple cards...you can just transfer the profile+saves to the HDD and copy to the same card again.

you just can't connect to live at the same time with the same profile on different 360s...but that's not an issue if you're doing local multiplayer for your tournaments.

http://us.codejunkies.com/Products/XB360-Xport__EF000191.aspx

Is this the one?

sangreal

AtomicShroom said:
Then please, by all means, instruct me on how security mechanisms in printer cartridges are protecting copyright and not, in fact, blocking out cheaper 3rd party models.

The claim was that the security chips in toner cartridges were restricting access to the copyrighted toner loading software, so 3rd party cartridges were circumventing this copyright protection.

Also, I do believe Lexmark lost that lawsuit?

edit: beaten

Kogepan

MvmntInGrn said:
Wow thats still way to expensive for memory nowadays.
EDIT: Looks like the official ones are still $40 for 512mb so it is definitely better.

yeh, the price is still ridiculous for 'offbrand' flash, especially when 2gb sticks are practically being giving away free.

larvi

MvmntInGrn said:
Wow thats still way to expensive for memory nowadays.
EDIT: Looks like the official ones are still $40 for 512mb so it is definitely better.

Tell that to Sony, I think the retail price on MSPD media is still around $50 for 4GB too. At least with this Datel unit you have the of adding more memory with cheap MicroSD cards.

larvi said:
Tell that to Sony, I think the retail price on MSPD media is still around $50 for 4GB too. At least with this Datel unit you have the of adding more memory with cheap MicroSD cards.

Amazon has 4gb Pro Duos for for under $20.
I haven't used a Pro Duo stick since I had a PSP, 4gb then was some outrageous price. :lol

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
larvi said:
Huh?

screen-capture.png
screen-capture-1.png

larvi

Killthee said:
Huh?

That's Sandisk, not Sony brand. Per amazon the list price is $49.99 you can buy them cheaper but they are often counterfeits. Sony style store has them for $39.99 on sale from a normal price of $64.99

Truespeed

larvi said:

So furious was he to lash back he neglected to do his due diligence and now has egg all over his nut sack.

Top Bottom