• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Day of Infamy |OT| Insurgency meets Day of Defeat

uULAPC9.png
Platform: Steam
Release Date: March 23rd 2007(Already Available in Early Access)
Price: 19.99
Developer: New World Interactive

About
Maps/Setting:
Day of Infamy takes you to the battleground of Southern and Western Europe during World War II. There are 10 maps, ranging from war-torn cities to farm villages, and fortified beachheads to snow-covered forests. Whether you are fighting for the U.S. Army, Commonwealth Forces or the German Wehrmacht, there is a vast arsenal of over 70 historical weapons and attachments.

Classes and Objective based Co-op and PvP
Day of Infamy features 9 player classes and 10 objective-based game modes, providing a variety of experiences depending on what you’re looking for. Objectives include capture points, officers to assassinate, enemy intelligence to carry, and destructible targets such as anti-aircraft batteries, fuel dumps and radio communication centers. Multiplayer features larger scale battles with many reinforcement waves as well as smaller scale engagements with special reinforcement mechanics. With Cooperative, there are three distinct game modes and multiple enemy difficulties to keep things challenging.

Officer Class
Selecting the Officer class in the game puts you at the top of your team's chain of command. Pairing with a Radioman in the field will enable you to request supply drops, smoke screens, artillery barrages, as well as aircraft strafing and bombing runs. You may also issue various tactical commands to your team such as flanking or charging an objective. Communicating effectively as an Officer will allow you and your brothers-in-arms to turn the tide of battle with an effective plan or timely radio transmission.

Strategic Gameplay
Day of Infamy is a highly strategic experience that rewards intelligent maneuvering and coordination with your team. Pay close attention to your surroundings, as blindly running into an open area is the easiest way to get killed. Lean around corners, lay prone to steady your aim, and walk slowly to conceal the sound of your footsteps - these are effective strategies to stay alive. A team that sticks together, advances cautiously, and uses proximity VOIP is more likely to overcome a scattered and disorganized opponent.

Workshop Mod Support
The game comes with mod support and Workshop integration, providing players with a vast array of community created content. Built on Valve's Source Engine, the SDK is one of the most familiar out there. Modders can replace models, textures, sounds and user interfaces in the game, as well as add new maps or total conversions using the game's theater scripting system. There are already over 480 mods which have been created during the game's early access phase.

Cosmetic Ranking System
As you play the game, you will progress through the ranks. You will unlock historic units as you rank up, which you can then play as ingame. Ranking up does not provide players with any gameplay advantages or incentives, so gameplay balance will always remain purely skill-based.

Unit System
Upon launch units will be available to unlock by attaining rank milestones. Players will also be able to unlock the items by purchasing them. Collect digital militaria items in the form of new character art representing various regiments and divisions for each faction. Within a unit, new character artwork includes arm patches, hats, helmet stencils, uniforms, camouflages, and voice over.

Early Access customers receive three exclusive factions that will be retired upon launch:
firstwaveunits-1024x441.jpg

Screenshots

Trailers

Tutorials

Bumping since this is the last day to get the Early Access Units that get retired the 23rd. Also cause it really is a damn good game.

Mechazawa

Whew, not a lot of bites in this thread.

I picked this up on Sunday and have been having a hell of a time with it. It basically takes the best aspects of Insurgency(the shooting and movement model, methodical pacing, objective captures "refreshing" lives) but dials back the more punishing aspects by ditching stuff like night maps/nightvision and by making every single mode in this game have at least some sort of wave-based ticket system to the respawns.

What this means is that unlike in Insurgency, where it's not unusual to die and have to sit out a match until the next round due to the structure of the mode or your team being unable to cap a point, in this you're basically guaranteed a handful of respawns regardless of how well you do.

They did a great job enhancing the presentation of this over Insurgency as well. This a much more glamorous game, partially because you hear way more gunfire due to all the respawns, but also because the "Commander" role in this basically means any competent team will constantly be calling in airstrikes or turret gun-runs from planes overhead. This game feels like the Theater of Motherfucking War compared to Insurgency's dusky street shootouts. It also helps that there's a map where you literally play out the Normandy landing, either by you trying bumrush a hill while your entire team get sniped on the beach or by doing the actual sniping as the German team.

One knock that I'll give the game is that you don't really see the crazy comebacks you do in Insurgency. One of the tradeoffs of being able to play more regularly due to the wave-based structure of the respawns is that there aren't really those 1v3, 1v4, clutch upsets in this game. Instead, what happens in this game is that the enemy team generally either caps all the objectives and ends the match or it's 1 person on the losing team with no respawns left vs literally the entire enemy team who have 4 "waves" left or something and can just keep respawning until they flush out the last guy.

But, yeah. Really cool modes. Good twists on the classes. Real god damn intricate map layouts. Great game. I give this 7 Bolt Action Rifles out of 3 Flame Throwers.

Whew, not a lot of bites in this thread.

I picked this up on Sunday and have been having a hell of a time with it. It basically takes the best aspects of Insurgency(the shooting and movement model, methodical pacing, objective captures "refreshing" lives) but dials back the more punishing aspects by ditching stuff like night maps/nightvision and by making every single mode in this game have at least some sort of wave-based ticket system to the respawns.

What this means is that unlike in Insurgency, where it's not unusual to die and have to sit out a match until the next round due to the structure of the mode or your team being unable to cap a point, in this you're basically guaranteed a handful of respawns regardless of how well you do.

They did a great job enhancing the presentation of this over Insurgency as well. This a much more glamorous game, partially because you hear way more gunfire due to all the respawns, but also because the "Commander" role in this basically means any competent team will constantly be calling in airstrikes or turret gun-runs from planes overhead. This game feels like the Theater of Motherfucking War compared to Insurgency's dusky street shootouts. It also helps that there's a map where you literally play out the Normandy landing, either by you trying bumrush a hill while your entire team get sniped on the beach or by doing the actual sniping as the German team.

One knock that I'll give the game is that you don't really see the crazy comebacks you do in Insurgency. One of the tradeoffs of being able to play more regularly due to the wave-based structure of the respawns is that there aren't really those 1v3, 1v4, clutch upsets in this game. Instead, what happens in this game is that the enemy team generally either caps all the objectives and ends the match or it's 1 person on the losing team with no respawns left vs literally the entire enemy team who have 4 "waves" left or something and can just keep respawning until they flush out the last guy.

But, yeah. Really cool modes. Good twists on the classes. Real god damn intricate map layouts. Great game. I give this 7 Bolt Action Rifles out of 3 Flame Throwers.

Sweet! Honestly this has been my favorite shooter since the DoD days. Really captures the feel of those classic no nonsense fps games. I hope word of mouth helps this game grow now that it's launching cause the devs have done a fantastic job. I hate to see it fail to gain an audience. Also last reminder for anyone thinking of buying it these are the last few hours to get the early access units that will be gone forever.

So, what's with "Realistic" FPSes and being "Can't See Shit": The Game?

Long engagement distances paired with questionable/poor image-quality (Poor optimization and janky engine (IE, Source) for bonus points) resulting in an experience where I'm hunting for 1-pixel-big enemies before they instantly get a bead on my head, and then whenever you do chance a CQB/Indoors engagement, camouflage textures do their job way too well and get shot by an enemy five feet in front of you that looked like the wall, or worse, was in a pitch-black shadow. Like, ArmA, Squad, and now this all have this same feel going for them.

I mean it actually kinda *hurts* the realism for me, because human eyesight is waaaaay better than game-character eyesight in these scenarios. I feel like I'm playing characters who seriously need to get themselves a pair of glasses fast.

Other than that I guess it's alright so far. Word to the wise, don't touch matchmaking, it'll dump you in empty servers.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
I think i bought this the day it came out on early access. I was probably drunk because i usually refuse to buy early access but I LOVED DoD.

It's a pretty cool game if you're looking for a new DoD to play. Really wish it would get more attention.

I don't get why these guys got the DoD-successor treatment when the gameplay is much more on the realism side since it's built off insurgency. The gunplay is really different from how DoD ended up which was pretty fast by today's standards even if it was born in what was realistic at the time. That other new ww2 shooter Days of War feels a lot more like DoD but Valve shut them down when they tried to use a map from DoD.

I don't get why these guys got the DoD-successor treatment when the gameplay is much more on the realism side since it's built off insurgency. The gunplay is really different from how DoD ended up which was pretty fast by today's standards even if it was born in what was realistic at the time. That other new ww2 shooter Days of War feels a lot more like DoD but Valve shut them down when they tried to use a map from DoD.

I don't think they asked. Not to mention from what I've read this is the much better game. It does not have DoD hipfire true but the pacing, level design and feel is similar.

I'm reminded more of DoD pre-retail than DoD: Source TBH. Considering how much I loved and sunk hundreds of hours into DoD pre-retail that is not a bad thing!

Loving the maps. They are the highlight for me and also love the balance between 'hardcore' and accessible fun.

Can't remember the name off the top of my head, but that one map with all the rubble in the middle reminds me of the Donner map.

I'm reminded more of DoD pre-retail than DoD: Source TBH. Considering how much I loved and sunk hundreds of hours into DoD pre-retail that is not a bad thing!

Loving the maps. They are the highlight for me and also love the balance between 'hardcore' and accessible fun.

Can't remember the name off the top of my head, but that one map with all the rubble in the middle reminds me of the Donner map.
They have a Dinner remake on there. Probably why.

There's quite a few maps that are based off of DoD maps. Salerno and Saint Lo are based on Avalanche and Thunder respectively

Rogan

Banned
Bought this game yesterday and had a blast playing with friends.

The gunplay and SFX are great.

Why doesn't this game get more attention?

No clue. Insurgency never really took off either until it was in sale for like two dollars and managed to hit like 5k concurrent players. This game is a gem and I wish more people would pick it up.

DaciaJC

Gold Member

Too punishing and slow-paced for the general audience would be my guess. Even the more popular lite-sim games like Red Orchestra/Rising Storm serve a niche playerbase.

Stiler

I think part of the issues with these games isn't the difficulty in of itself but rather how cumbersome they make the movement/animation.

If we could get one that had animation quality on par with say, COD/BF in terms of its fluidness I think it'd really help out.

Take for example Verdun, it's a chore to simply move and do what you want to do when you need to be able to do it. Constantly getting hung up on things when you want to move or not being able to quickly take cover or dive when you need to.

These games strive for realism but they don't seem to understand just how important movement and being able to do what you, the player, want to do the second you want to do it.

mojo2

Neo Member
Got this today and it really is DoD 3. Loving it. Only downside is that everyone who still plays is so damn good at it. And it takes while to get used to the moving being bit different.

New Website and News
We've been hard at work, adding new features to Day of Infamy and have created a brand new website for the game! We've also been looking for new avenues to get more players into the game. Here's a peak at what's coming!

The Free Weekend is Coming Soon!
Steam will be featuring Day of Infamy in their free weekend promotion in the coming weeks! This is a perfect time to introduce a friend to the game!

During the free weekend we'll be releasing a lot of content highlighting the game's community and will be doing some special livestreams as well! We'll be releasing more information about the event over the coming weeks, so stay tuned!

Brand New Website!
We've launched a brand new website[www.dayofinfamy.game] specifically for Day of Infamy which highlights the latest happenings in the game, all of our videos, screenshots and tutorials for new players looking for some tips.

If you like what you see or want to report any bugs, please do so in the Steam discussions.

New Game Update
In conjunction with the Free Weekend, we'll also be releasing a brand new game update that will included Brittany, improved UI elements and some bug fixes. We're also planning on revealing a new training map on next weeks livestream Thurs Oct 5th @ Noon EST on Twitch[www.twitch.tv] so stay tuned for that!

In the meantime, we've update the game's stats system. The stats system should now run much faster and broken achievements & unlocks should be fixed. If you have any issues please report them via a support ticket

This game really deserves more love.

Meccs

Wow, I have Insurgency probably from a Humble Bundle but never played it. Since I love the WW2 setting I checked out Day of Infamy's free weekend and the Coop is so much fun. Competitive is pretty unforgiving since map knowledge is everything but the coop is a nice change of pace. The gun play feels great too. Love it. Maybe I should finally install Insurgency too and see what this is all about.

Top Bottom