• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DDR5 CAMM2 Deep Dive. New JEDEC PC memory standard. Lower Profile. Higher Speed.

Jinzo Prime

And yet, we are seeing these new chips from Intel and AMD with on die or soldered memory. I hope CAMM2 gets widespread soon, I know it wasn't ready for this gen.

Funny how this new standard comes along just as Intel follows Apple Silicon and switches to on-package non-upgradeable memory for their laptop SoC's

from a coolent nazi this makes me wet. Hate Hate HATE how modern coolers overlap current memory modules. Obvious trade off currently in speed but a flat replaceable memory modules would allow much smaller upgradable Mini PC's as well.
in my big ass case, my thick top-mounted CPU AIO with fans on both sides touches my RAM.
another 1mm and it wouldnt have fit.

Buggy Loop

Don't know why this is not something that happened years ago.

I welcome it for SFF builds, I always air cool and ram height is a real problem.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
from a coolent nazi this makes me wet. Hate Hate HATE how modern coolers overlap current memory modules. Obvious trade off currently in speed but a flat replaceable memory modules would allow much smaller upgradable Mini PC's as well.
Same here, it really triggers me how you can’t fit a high end cooler + “gaming” RAM together in the same system without raising the fan up and making it look stupid. Standard height gaming memory is almost nonexistent, I think G-Skill Flare is the only one.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I saw that in a video, hope it gets popular quickly because of seems to be better in every possible way

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member

I actually had to push my cooling over a bit, just to get fucking clearance. I didn't want to delay my build any longer. I was delayed like 2 years, already.

LordOfChaos

Funny how this new standard comes along just as Intel follows Apple Silicon and switches to on-package non-upgradeable memory for their laptop SoC's

They both have a place and different use cases. On-package RAM = condensed motherboard space with less wiring, lower transport power. CAMM = LPDDR like clock speeds but in an upgradable module and less space than SODIMMs. I do hope CAMM takes off, but on-package also seems like the future for the thinnest/lightest products.

Top Bottom