• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadpool & Wolverine | Rotten Watch

Draugoth

Gold Member
Critics Consensus: Ryan Reynolds makes himself at home in the MCU with acerbic wit while Hugh Jackman provides an Adamantium backbone to proceedings in Deadpool & Wolverine, an irreverent romp with a surprising soft spot for a bygone era of superhero movies.

Score Number of Reviews Average Rating
All Critics 81% 195 7.20/10
Top Critics 64% 45 6.30/10

Metacritic: 56 (50 Reviews)

bKOmsOY.png

jmLKzbI.png

Sample Reviews:

It’s a poignant summation of the Fox chapter of the Marvel saga. - Peter Debruge, Variety

For the core audience, the gags will be reward enough, even if the rest of us might squirm as the sloppily staged action grows repetitive, the plotting haphazard and the humor so self-aware the movie threatens to disappear up its own ass. - David Rooney, Hollywood Reporter

A shameless piece of self-congratulation, fueled by self-cannibalism, as the studio which built its identity on superhero crossovers finally abandons the pretense of trying to justify them dramatically. - William Bibbiani, TheWrap

A fun, generally well-made summer movie. The sole MCU release of 2024, “Deadpool & Wolverine” proves it’s not necessarily the source material that’s causing so-called superhero fatigue. 2.5/4 - Krysta Fauria, Associated Press

Deadpool is and always has been a faux-naughty edgelord and tryhard. While it will likely amuse its target audience of geeks and the terminally online, “Deadpool & Wolverine” is a whole lot of hot air and not much else. 2/4 - Katie Walsh, Tribune News Service
Miraculously, the heartfelt stuff isn’t buried by the film’s commitment to nonstop shenanigans and giddy self-awareness. 3.5/4 - Brian Truitt, USA Today

An apology candygram delivered by the two most mouth-puckeringly sour superheroes Marvel now owns. - Amy Nicholson, Washington Post

It is a film about how anything that was ever successful in Hollywood is made to repeat that same song and dance endlessly... Deadpool & Wolverine devilishly plays on this, of course. It is watchable because it’s self-reflective. - Alissa Wilkinson, New York Times

While retaking its cinematic crown will be a challenge, “Deadpool & Wolverine” is a giant, promising step forward for the franchise. 3.5/4 - Johnny Oleksinski, New York Post

I’d rather just watch a movie than be pandered to by one. 2/4 - Rafer Guzman, Newsday

It’s definitely not for everybody, but even a non-fan stumbling into the theater accidentally will find whole sections here to enjoy. 2.5/4 - Mick LaSalle, San Francisco Chronicle

Deadpool & Wolverine settles for manic, gamer-style ultraviolence where death isn’t a thing, really, but where the grotesque sight gags start to feel not simply hollow, but kind of awful. 1/4 - Michael Phillips, Chicago Tribune
It’s all great fun, and it’s just enough to overcome the uninspired direction, mid-level special effects and hit-and-miss humor. 3/4 - Richard Roeper, Chicago Sun-Times

Ridiculous even by superhero standards, it remains more or less coherent. 2.5/4 - Mark Feeney, Boston Globe

Alternately hilarious and exhausting and stuffed with more meta-narrative than it has actual narrative, Deadpool & Wolverine is a massive corporate in-joke masquerading as a movie. B- - Adam Graham, Detroit News

Real-world MCU supremo Kevin Feige has turned all the “no” switches to “yes” and unleashed the most violent, funny, self-critiquing, cameo-laden MCU film imaginable. 3.5/5 - Richard Whittaker, Austin Chronicle

Deadpool & Wolverine is the ultimate love letter to Marvel fans: The cameos and references are aplenty and brilliant, the source material is treated with respect and, best of all, it’s pure, unadulterated fun. 4/4 - Dominic Baez, Seattle Times

Superfans of the entire Marvel universe will find this film filled with top-notch comedy and action, Easter eggs, cameos that left the audience gasping and cheering, a lot of meta jokes and digs at 20th Century Fox. 3.5/5 - Meredith G. White, Arizona Republic
One of the best, most satisfying and certainly adult roller-coaster rides of this summer. 3.5/4 - Randy Myers, San Jose Mercury News

The cure for superhero fatigue is mocking the living hell out of it. 3/4 - Peter Howell, Toronto Star

There is a difference between tossing out references and making a movie that is genuinely funny, thrilling, energetic and innovative. At nearly every turn, Deadpool & Wolverine aspires to work in direct opposition to such goals. - Barry Hertz, Globe and Mail
It’s amusing and exhausting. 3/5 - Peter Bradshaw, Guardian

Ebulliently directed by Shawn Levy, this is a hyperactive cheese dream that brings together two of Marvel’s best characters and a supporting cast who will have nerds frothing at the mouth. 4/5 - Ed Potton, Times (UK)

Deadpool & Wolverine is as much fun as you can conceivably have at a corporate merger meeting. 2/5 - Clarisse Loughrey, Independent (UK)

To paraphrase TS Eliot, these fragments has Marvel shored against its ruins, though the crumbling continues regardless. 1/5 - Robbie Collin, Daily Telegraph (UK)

Yes please: we’ll take as many Wolverine crossovers as Marvel is willing to dish out, as long as they taste as good as this one. 4/5 - Vicky Jessop, London Evening Standard

The first Marvel Cinematic Universe flick to get an R certificate in the US, is, despite that supposed confirmation of mature content, the most relentlessly juvenile entry in a sequence that has rarely been confused with Ingmar Bergman’s Faith trilogy. 1/5 - Donald Clarke, Irish Times

Beneath the outlandishness, half-dozen belly laughs and nerd-centric beats resides sweet nostalgia for the last quarter-century of superhero movies, while demonstrating that Marvel Studios possesses the power to laugh at itself. - Brian Lowry, CNN.com

It is a carnival of in-jokes, self-references, and reality breaks with no higher purpose than to congratulate its audience for keeping up. It has no stakes, no drama, and only the most cynical applications of creativity. C- - Jordan Hoffman, Entertainment Weekly

Deadpool & Wolverine does a disarmingly effective job of convincing its audience that this is a film about nostalgia for beloved characters when it’s really just bridging a gap between one company’s output and another’s. - Richard Lawson, Vanity Fair
Once Deadpool & Wolverine enters the trash-heap zone, however, it embraces the already meta-aspects of the series to an absurd degree and never looks back. - David Fear, Rolling Stone

For viewers who spend a lot of their time online, soaking up the discourse generated by insider-fan accounts and message boards, all of this will seem warmly familiar. But good luck if you’re coming in with no prior knowledge. - David Sims, The Atlantic
Honestly, it appears to exist solely to make money. - Bilge Ebiri, New York Magazine/Vulture

From cameos to background Easter eggs to long-fan-ficked meet-ups, it’s a relentless onslaught of surprises designed to get audiences screaming and throwing popcorn in the air. 4/5 - Olly Richards, Empire Magazine

This comic-book pairing ultimately underwhelms, resulting in some touching moments and some anarchic humour in a picture otherwise dragged down by convoluted multiverse logistics and drab fan service. - Tim Grierson, Screen International
As with its predecessors, those who can’t stand Deadpool or aren’t educated in Marvel movie lore won’t tolerate a second of it. The rest will be in bleeping heaven. - Nick Schager, The Daily Beast

Deadpool & Wolverine rescues something kind of beautiful from the ugliness that superhero movies have perpetuated for so long. Not visually, of course, but in several other key respects. C+ - David Ehrlich, indieWire

Despite being right in the demographic crosshairs for its incessant geek culture references, I found myself as exhausted with this film as I have been with any other installment in the lackluster Multiverse Saga. 1.5/4 - Dylan Roth, Observer
Deadpool & Wolverine doesn’t flinch from speaking some measure of truth to power. 3/4 - Justin Clark, Slant Magazine

Once the buzz of giggling wears off, it's clear: Deadpool & Wolverine isn't here to save superhero movies. It's here to show off Disney's newly acquired IP. - Kristy Puchko, Mashable

Deadpool & Wolverine is serviceable in its worst moments and a lot of fun when it’s really cooking. Yet if your expectations for Deadpool & Wolverine include a clean explanation of where the Marvel multiverse stands, perhaps lower them. B - Liz Shannon Miller, Consequence

Somehow, despite the silly mayhem and hyper-meta goofing, I kinda did care about the characters, especially in the finale, which unspools a pathos firehose and blasts us with it. 2.5/4 - Matt Zoller Seitz, RogerEbert.com

A masterclass in meta-humor, charisma and cameo-chaos, this is a riotous, self-aware spectacle that gleefully mocks superhero conventions while still delivering the adrenaline-pumping action MCU fans having been craving since Avengers: Endgame. 4/5 - Linda Marric, HeyUGuys
The results are a mixed bag of occasionally funny one-liners and characters you forgot you probably complained about online in the 2000s. - Kristen Lopez, Kristomania (Substack)

Reynolds and Jackman have tremendous chemistry. The movie expertly balances the exciting, the silly, the references for the fans and the straightforward superhero stuff, even a few glimpses of actual sincerity. B+ - Nell Minow, Movie Mom

SYNOPSIS:
Marvel Studios presents their most significant mistake to date - "Deadpool & Wolverine." A listless Wade Wilson toils away in civilian life. His days as the morally flexible mercenary, Deadpool, behind him. When his homeworld faces an existential threat, Wade must reluctantly suit-up again with an even more reluctantlier... reluctanter? Reluctantest? He must convince a reluctant Wolverine to - Fuck. Synopses are so fucking stupid.
CAST:
  • Ryan Reynolds as Wade Wilson / Deadpool
  • Hugh Jackman as James "Logan" Howlett / Wolverine
  • Emma Corrin as Cassandra Nova
  • Morena Baccarin as Vanessa Carlysle
  • Rob Delaney as Peter Wisdom
  • Leslie Uggams as Blind Al
  • Aaron Stanford as Pyro
  • Matthew Macfadyen as Mr. Paradox
DIRECTED BY: Shawn Levy
WRITTEN BY: Ryan Reynolds, Rhett Reese, Paul Wernick, Zeb Wells, Shawn Levy
PRODUCED BY: Kevin Feige, Ryan Reynolds, Shawn Levy, Lauren Shuler Donner
EXECUTIVE PRODUCERS: Louis D’Esposito, Wendy Jacobson, Mary McLaglen, Josh McLaglen, George Dewey, Simon Kinberg, Jonathon Komack Martin, Rhett Reese, Paul Wernick
CO-PRODUCER: Mitch Bell
DIRECTOR OF PHOTOGRAPHY: George Richmond
PRODUCTION DESIGNER: Raymond Chan
EDITED BY: Dean Zimmerman, Shane Reid
COSTUME DESIGNER: Graham Churchyard, Mayes C. Rubyo
VISUAL EFFECTS AND ANIMATION BY: Industrial Light & Magic
VISUAL EFFECTS SUPERVISOR: Swen Gillberg
HEAD OF VISUAL DEVELOPMENT: Andy Park
MUSIC BY: Rob Simonsen
MUSIC SUPERVISOR: Dave Jordan
CASTING BY: Sarah Hailee Finn
RUNTIME: 127 Minutes
RELEASE DATE: July 26, 2024

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I’d give it a 3/10. I have a soft spot for the Fox Xmen films and this did nothing for me. The cameos are fun but the action, effects, and writing are not great to say the least. For every ten jokes maybe one landed with the audience I saw it with. What an awkward two hours lol

Days of Future Past + Logan is still the definitive closure to those old movies!

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I probably won’t go to the theaters to see this, but it seems like a fun enough movie to watch while a little inebriated.

Kings Field

I watched it at home. I saw the first Deadpool movie in theaters and couldn’t stand the cringe fest. Movie was ok. If you liked the previous Deadpool movies and Wolverine stuff you’ll enjoy it.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Loved it. Very funny movie, great cameos, cool villain I enjoy from comics, and more.

Both after credit scenes were great too.

Best marvel movie since second doctor strange imo.

hinch7

Just got back from the cinema and it was pretty great. Not quite as good as the other two movies but a real fun watch. And refreshing coming from the recent terrible or mid MCU movies.

A lot of boomer music in there and aplenty of call backs of bygone era which a lot won't get, but yeah brings back a lot of memories.. and makes for a great Summer flick.

Also have to say some of the cameo's were genuinely great and hilarious to see.

Last edited:

JayK47

I hate the MCU. I hate the whole concept of multiverses. They ruined this movie with that shit. I enjoyed the first two movies. I thought this one was ass compared to the previous ones. I did enjoy some parts of it and Hugh Jackman is the man. Half the damn movie takes place in "the void". Not a compelling place in my opinion. The MCU ruined all of my favorite Marvel movies, such as Iron Man and now Xmen. But hey, at least it is a step in the right direction for Disney. I was sort of torn for wanting to see the movie and not wanting to give any money to Disney.

Top Bottom