• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Cab for Cutie Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yeah, they rock. Next to the Shins and Aimee Mann they are most of what I listen to. Id like to see them live sometime. I guess they were JUST in this area but I had no money at the time CURSES YOU MOTHERFUCKS.

Favorite Songs:

Sleep Spent
Expo 86
Debate Exposes Doubt
Title and Registration
Blacking Out the Friction
Passenger Seat (So calming)

Jim Bowie

Sadly, I have to agree with you. DCFC rules. They and The Postal Service, Ben's other thing, got me to like emo. It kind of makes me sad, since throughout high school this is always the stuff I bashed.

Favorite song... well... I'm not sure. Transatlanticism is frequently played right now.

Transatlanticism kicked ass.

People rave about dashboard confessional as far as emo-ish stuff goes and yuk. Death Cab for me. Postal Service isnt bad, I like most of their cd.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Going to see them next saturday.. I like Death Cab, but Im pretty much going to see Pretty Girls make graves...

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
MrAngryFace said:
I have Pretty Girls' CD. Its good, just didnt grow on me all that much

their last one inst all that great... Its solid overall, but their older stuff is much heavier. the track sad girls for life is fucking awesome.. I allways feel slightly odd listening to bitter women bitch about men but whatever.

Being the forum's resident Death Cab freak (loud and proud since 1998), I support this thread.

MAF, you didn't miss them, they're playing at the Paramount on Nov 9th. Then I'm heading to Canada to see them with Stars on Nov 12th. That will bring me to a grand total of attending 42 DCFC shows.

In other DCFC news, it appears that they have signed or will be shortly signing with Atlantic Records. While I'm happy they're gonna make more money, I'm worried that the label will force some producer upon them instead of letting Walla continue his magic.

MrAngryFace said:
That would suck, a trendy Death Cab would make me vomit.

Dude, they're already trendy, deal with it. I didn't mean that it would suck if more people liked them, they deserve the attention (well, I think they do at least). I'm more afraid that a major label would force them to go in a certain direction or drastically change their sound to the point where they break up over it, or that the label expects them to sell X number of records and when they don't, all hell breaks loose.

GG-Duo

iamthevillain said:
Photobooth is such a great song.

here's some mp3s that ben gibbard did on the radio acoustic

http://www.hardlylove.net/mp3/

Those acoustic tracks are great!

I really enjoy his acoustic stuff - Steadier Footing, Lack of Color, whatever. His voice is naturally bittersweet, and I think that stuff suits him more.

GG-Duo said:
Those acoustic tracks are great!

I really enjoy his acoustic stuff - Steadier Footing, Lack of Color, whatever. His voice is naturally bittersweet, and I think that stuff suits him more.

From the looks of it, that's from KEXP Summer 2003. I remember listening to that at work.

If you haven't already, pick up the All Time Quarterback s/t from Barsuk, the Ben Gibbard/Andrew Kinney split EP "Home: Volume V" from Post Parlo Records, and the Studio X Sessions iTunes EP. All contain acoustic Gibbard goodness.

element

yeah, when The OC is using deathcab in their episodes, you know they are trendy

also Ben Gibbard drives me insane, not as much as Sean Nelson.

element said:
yeah, when The OC is using deathcab in their episodes, you know they are trendy

I don't watch the OC, so it doesn't effect me one bit. But from what I've heard, some of the writers on the show have loved Death Cab, Bright Eyes, etc. for a long time, which is why they mention them.

Jim Bowie said:
Sadly, I have to agree with you. DCFC rules. They and The Postal Service, Ben's other thing, got me to like emo. It kind of makes me sad, since throughout high school this is always the stuff I bashed.

Emo? Really? I've been listening to them since 1998, and I never thought of them being emo. The first thing I thought of when I first heard them was "Gee, they sound like Built to Spill for some reason."

Pimpwerx

I saw them live two weeks ago in Ft. Lauderdale. Only went b/c this chick was really into them. Meh, it was ok, but I wasn't totally thrilled by their performance either. I guess if I was into their music more. To their credit, they sounded good live, as far as playing the instruments and singing and stuff. Lots of bands are just studio bands, they're not. PEACE.

Both of these bands (Deathcab, Pretty Girls) are fucking horrible if you ask me, but MAF, don't you live here in Seattle? If so, I wouldn't worry about missing their show. Both bands play here like every 2 weeks.

ben gibbard kills it live esp. when he plays 'title and registration' and sings and does a beat with a single drumstick at the same time

but yeah those mp3s are the ones from kexp. I just googled 'ben gibbard kexp' and found that random page.

White Man

MAF is dead to me!

I'll go see DCFC with you, but only if you'll go see Gwar with me and volunteer to be fed to the Earth Maggot.

Pretty Girls Make Graves rock, though.

White Man said:
I'll go see DCFC with you, but only if you'll go see Gwar with me and volunteer to be fed to the Earth Maggot.

I would love to see Gwar, but only if I could sit up in the balcony away from the madness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom