• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Delhi teen beaten to death; racism alleged

Status
Not open for further replies.
In India...

The incident has once again raised concerns over the security of students from the north-east in the Capital.

Micro-blogging site Twitter was abuzz on Friday, with some of the users suggesting racism played a part in Taniam's death. The mysterious death of 21-year-old Manipur resident Reingamphi Awungshi at Chirag Dilli in May 2013 also featured in the discussions.

"The death of a north-east student in New Delhi after being beaten up is barbaric and condemnable," Bharatiya Janata Party leader Arun Jaitley said on Twitter.

Read: Arunachal student a victim of hate crime, says Family

Taniam went to Lajpat Nagar to visit a friend on Wednesday, Arunachal Pradesh resident commissioner Avinash Mishra said while talking to a TV channel.

Unable to find the address, he entered a shop and sought the shopkeeper's help, Mishra added.

According to JT Tagan, president of the Arunachal Students' Union in the Capital, the shopkeeper and some people present at the shop teased Taniam over the colour of his hair.

Irked, Taniam broke a glass item in the shop, for which he later paid Rs. 7,000, Mishra said.

An altercation broke out and the youth was allegedly beaten up with sticks and iron rods by a group of around seven men. He succumbed to his injuries on Thursday, Tagan said.

A youth claiming to be Taniam's cousin alleged he saw an injury mark on his neck and his lips were torn. "The family has been informed. As they won't be able to come here, we will take the body back home," he said.

Read: Students from northeast face daily harassment

"This is surely about racism. Everybody in Delhi discriminates against us based on our looks. We are living in India, but we don't know whether we are actually living in India or not," he told a TV channel.

A police official said, "Taniam's post-mortem has been carried out in AIIMS. The cause of death would be clear only after the autopsy report. There was some altercation he had on Wednesday, we are investigating the case."

Some reports claimed the police had intervened into the matter and detained Taniam, but later dropped him at the same spot.

Reacting to the incident, ruling Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) leader Dilip Pandey said the Delhi Police should take prompt action and book the accused at the earliest.

Read: Police forced a compromise, says Nido's family

Turning the heat on the police force, he added, "The way lawlessness is prevailing in the state needs to be checked... Delhi Police will have to take the responsibility to stop such incidents."

According to TV reports, students from the north-east are likely to stage a protest in Delhi on Saturday.

Binalakshmi Nepram, founder of non-governmental organisation Manipur Women Gun Survivors Network, accused the police of initially refusing to register an FIR in the case.

The government condemned the incident in a statement, saying, "We are working on ordering a magisterial inquiry into this death, which is not only tragic but raises serious questions on the alleged beating reportedly in public view."

Chief minister Arvind Kejriwal directed education minister Manish Sisodia to probe the matter and revert with the details, news agency IANS reported.

accidentlly hit enter while typing the subject

They killed him because he looked Asian
http://www.hindustantimes.com/india...irstyle-dies-tv-reports/article1-1178770.aspx

People are getting beaten to death for the dumbest reasons. First it was that girl who was beaten to death for walking in the photo and now this..........

xkramz

i read last week that a girl was beaten to death just for crossing in front of a group of girls taking a picture. i think i read it here, i forgot.

Valhelm

contribute something
I'm confused. He was beaten to death for looking Indian, in India?

Or was he beaten to death for looking European?

Yeah 'Asian looking' can mean different things, not much of a surprise considering half the world's population live in what is normally considered to be Asia.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
That was a hard story to read on many levels. I guess my question is exactly how big of a problem is racism in India?

DJ88

Wasn't he beaten to death cause he broke a glass item in the shop. Not cause of the way he looked? Or am I reading it wrong?

Not saying that's better or justifies it btw.

akira28

Times like that are when I'd want to have a gun. Sorry but I will pop off and carve a canyon through the top of somebody's head in that situation. I do not fuck with angry mobs.

edit: though I would probably fire a warning shot and tell them to back the fuck up. Being mostly pacifist and all.

Kieli

Same, I'm not quite sure what exactly is going on (I read the entire OP).

Did he not have black hair (as in he bleached it?)?

Lamel

Banned
I think he broke the glass (and paid for it), but then an altercation happened and he was beaten to death.

The kid was from northeast India, so he likely looked more nepalese/chinese than traditional "Indian" and people are suggesting he was beaten so severely because "typical" Indians don't like the northeast Indians and discriminate against them.

"This is surely about racism. Everybody in Delhi discriminates against us based on our looks. We are living in India, but we don't know whether we are actually living in India or not,"

This quote suggests that the kid was from a different part of India (northeast) and was discriminated against. Whether or not he was killed for breaking the glass OR maybe his beating was made more severe because of racism, I am not sure (neither justifies it of course).

FYI Arunachal Pradesh is a province in the very northeastern most part of India. It is past even Bhutan, and borders China.

DiscoJer

This story has a picture

http://www.ndtv.com/article/cheat-s...e-was-allegedly-thrash-478002?curl=1391238880

Nido_Taniam_360.jpg

Damn, it sucks seeing a kid get killed.

Lamel

Banned
I don't think it was the hair per se, I think it is just because he looks more chinese/east asian (if there was any racism involved to begin with).

Madness

That's because people think there is some universal race of "Indians" that are the same, when it's probably the most diverse place on Earth. 4 major religions, 26 official languages and is the only place on Earth where all major "races" of humans have lived for thousands of years. Go to North India, you'll see lighter skinned people with green eyes, light brown hair, people who resemble Syrians, Iranians etc. Go East, you'll see more Asiatic features, tibetans, Mongolians, Thai, east-asian, go south, you'll see darker skin, more African features, similar appearances to Sri Lankans, Samoans, Fijians etc.

India is basically the result of a millenia of cultures mixing together etc. Very diverse. It's quite sad what happened to this guy. India is dealing with massive westernization and modernization while struggling with its traditional and conservative identity.

ling_morf.png

Four major ethno/linguistic groups in India. Dravidian, Indo-European, Austro-Asiatic and Tibeto-Burman 

The picture is what some Indian genome initiative group sort of rudimentary described as the ethnic groups to get a sense. Now remember, that millenia of invasions, sharing, cross-cultural contact, it's become like a melting pot of such groups.

nOoblet16

Indian is not one single race like Asian or Native American, because of it's complex history there is a very diverse ethnic population in India. People from the North are closer to Europeans because they've had the least intermixing, while the people from far east are closer to asians, people from the south on the other hand are a mix between the original aryans and the dravidians/australoids who used to reside in south. In this case the person is from the far east meaning he looks asian and Delhi is notorious for being hostile against them.

What I am saying is when someone says Indian, most people think of the generic Mr. Patel, when it's certainly not the case because Indians have widely varying skin tone, facial structure, eyes, hair etc. Even then it's not so simple, like I am north Indian and as you can see in my avatar I have light brown skin and brown hair, my facial features would be closer to Europeans than other races but I have Asian esque eyes....so go figure !

India is the equivalent of Humanity in Mass Effect when compared to other races :p

Madness

Just some random photos of Northeast Indians. These are people who live in the far East or are represented from there. These are people who are Indian, who can speak Hindi, are either Hindu, Muslim or Buddhist, but are still considered outsiders as India struggles with its arching "Indian" identity. What is Indian? Many people wouldn't think these people are Indian, you'd have said Asian, well that's primarily the same discrimination these people face as well.

nOoblet16

Just some random photos of Northeast Indians. These are people who live in the far East or are represented from there. These are people who are Indian, who can speak Hindi, are either Hindu, Muslim or Buddhist, but are still considered outsiders as India struggles with its arching "Indian" identity. What is Indian? Many people wouldn't think these people are Indian, you'd have said Asian, well that's primarily the same discrimination these people face as well.

Just to give some perspective. The following are all 100% Indian as well

h2S3RQG.jpg

kashmir20girl7df.jpg

tri.jpg

Eyes_Dwarka.jpg

And of course Freddie Mercury (no he wasn't persian, he was Parsi which is an old ethnic sub group in India)
freddiemercury.jpg

This guy belongs to the same sub group as Freddie
cyrus-broacha.jpg

You can see why it would create difficulties in a country like India when it comes to racial identities.

velociraptor

When I read the thread title, first assumptions were that a Dehli Teen was beaten to death in a multicultural country such as Australia.

Fucking nuts though. The hell is wrong with people?

nOoblet16

Or people could just, you know, be nice to each other.

Of course but we don't live in an ideal world do we? I mean racial differences are the centre point of some serious issues even in the more socially advanced western world, so you can only imagine how much worse it can get in an orthodox country like India where even minor regional differences are amplified and blown to absurd levels by the people. The country is in need of a social reform but it will take some time, decades even.

Yagharek

What a tragic story.

This somewhat surprised me, however thinking about it it really shouldn't be. It's a big country after all.

Just to give some perspective. The following are all 100% Indian as well

You can see why it would create difficulties in a country like India when it comes to racial identities.

This is amazing, never knew there were so many differences across India.

All these stories coming out of India make it hard to even consider going there in the future. I know a few girls who are going there for three months for an internship and I don't like it.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Beaten to death? Poor kid. Pisses me off no one else around bothered to help. Who could stand by and watch a kid get killed like that. I could not.

Estocolmo

That's because people think there is some universal race of "Indians" that are the same, when it's probably the most diverse place on Earth. 4 major religions, 26 official languages and is the only place on Earth where all major "races" of humans have lived for thousands of years. Go to North India, you'll see lighter skinned people with green eyes, light brown hair, people who resemble Syrians, Iranians etc. Go East, you'll see more Asiatic features, tibetans, Mongolians, Thai, east-asian, go south, you'll see darker skin, more African features, similar appearances to Sri Lankans, Samoans, Fijians etc.

India is basically the result of a millenia of cultures mixing together etc. Very diverse. It's quite sad what happened to this guy. India is dealing with massive westernization and modernization while struggling with its traditional and conservative identity.

ling_morf.png

Four major ethno/linguistic groups in India. Dravidian, Indo-European, Austro-Asiatic and Tibeto-Burman 

The picture is what some Indian genome initiative group sort of rudimentary described as the ethnic groups to get a sense. Now remember, that millenia of invasions, sharing, cross-cultural contact, it's become like a melting pot of such groups.

Thank you for posting this. Very interesting, good to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom